997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 vs Stingray?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 09:16 AM
mark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by RS4Jay
I had to chuckle reading some of these comments because I'm in the market for a new toy and happened to look at the new C7 after reading the reviews. I walked away rather disappointed. It a great mechanical setup but I couldn't get past the exterior and interior details. The exterior is way to cluttered up with vents and assortments of plastic on the rear. When you sit inside and look around it just looks cheap. A huge improvement over the previous gen but that isn't saying much. The dash looks cheap and the steering wheel looks like it came off a $15k car. No matter how good the car drove this ended up being a deal breaker.
That is exactly my feelings as well. C7 is a huge improvement and performance will be stellar (on-par with some 911 variants for sure).

Old 01-13-2014, 09:28 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mark12345
That is exactly my feelings as well. C7 is a huge improvement and performance will be stellar (on-par with some 911 variants for sure).
If we are this concerned about the base 'Vette, how are people going to react when the 600HP+ Z06 is released?

That this is a flat out monster! And now it can actually grip??? May be getting one of those...

Old 01-13-2014, 10:17 AM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RS4Jay
I had to chuckle reading some of these comments because I'm in the market for a new toy and happened to look at the new C7 after reading the reviews. I walked away rather disappointed. It a great mechanical setup but I couldn't get past the exterior and interior details. The exterior is way to cluttered up with vents and assortments of plastic on the rear. When you sit inside and look around it just looks cheap. A huge improvement over the previous gen but that isn't saying much. The dash looks cheap and the steering wheel looks like it came off a $15k car. No matter how good the car drove this ended up being a deal breaker.
The back end of the C7 is not pretty, but I like the vents, and I found the interior quite nice. The steering wheel is great, too, compares very nicely with my '05 C2S. I opted for the real carbon fiber dash, which hardly looks cheap, and there is leather everywhere. Not sure what trim level you sat in, but obviously either we saw things differently, or we saw different things.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:20 AM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
If we are this concerned about the base 'Vette, how are people going to react when the 600HP+ Z06 is released?

That this is a flat out monster! And now it can actually grip??? May be getting one of those...
The new C7 Z06 was announced today at the Detroit Auto Show, where the base C7 won NACOTY. The 2015 Z06 will have "at least" 625 HP and 635 Tq. If that sounds ferocious, wait until we learn about the new ZR-1.

Like or not, these guys are really stepping it up. The brand and the styling is definitely not for everyone, but from a performance perspective, it's going to be right there with the best in class from around the world.
CATTMAN

Old 01-13-2014, 10:41 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Cattman
The new C7 Z06 was announced today at the Detroit Auto Show, where the base C7 won NACOTY. The 2015 Z06 will have "at least" 625 HP and 635 Tq. If that sounds ferocious, wait until we learn about the new ZR-1.

Like or not, these guys are really stepping it up. The brand and the styling is definitely not for everyone, but from a performance perspective, it's going to be right there with the best in class from around the world.
CATTMAN
I didn't know it was announced today. I've been discussing for over several days now. We've been seeing Z06 info for a while... I wonder where this information starts..??

I've also heard there is no intention for ZR-1 at the moment. Even back in the C6 days, this project didn't start until late in its generation.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:19 AM
blackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond repute
What do people think it would cost to mod a 997 to be able to compete/beat a Stingray??

Old 01-13-2014, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by blackbull
What do people think it would cost to mod a 997 to be able to compete/beat a Stingray??
Depends: which model 911 and which model Stingray? And what metric are you most interested in besting it on: 0-60, 1/4 mile, select track laps, lateral G?

The base C7 with Z51 will be quicker all around than a 991 C2S, but not by much. The really interesting stuff will be the 991 GT3 vs the 2015 Z06.
CATTMAN

Old 01-13-2014, 12:58 PM
mark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
I didn't know it was announced today. I've been discussing for over several days now. We've been seeing Z06 info for a while... I wonder where this information starts..??

I've also heard there is no intention for ZR-1 at the moment. Even back in the C6 days, this project didn't start until late in its generation.

Insane #'s....http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/13/2...-detroit-2014/

Old 01-14-2014, 10:17 AM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
I can't use what I have now. I'm looking forward to seeing one of these on the track.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by Alan C.
I can't use what I have now...
Sure you can... There is a time and place for everything.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:01 PM
jmt053 is infamous around these parts
I saw my first C7 today on the street. Up until now I had only seen photos in various magazines, online, etc. I have to admit that I liked it. The back end is a bit odd, maybe too edgy. Overall I liked the lines.
It wasn't like I wanted to rush to the nearest Chevy dealer and trade in the C4S. I still have the stereotype in my mind of a corvette owner...

Old 01-15-2014, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by jmt053
I saw my first C7 today on the street. Up until now I had only seen photos in various magazines, online, etc. I have to admit that I liked it. The back end is a bit odd, maybe too edgy. Overall I liked the lines.
It wasn't like I wanted to rush to the nearest Chevy dealer and trade in the C4S. I still have the stereotype in my mind of a corvette owner...
I understand what you mean about the stereotype, and despite my having ordered a C7, I am definitely not over it. But with continued excellence like the current model and the soon-to-be 2015 Z06, and more younger guys like me buying them, and more guys coming over from other European exotics, that stereotype should fade, eventually. But I agree, it's hard to shake the mustache and Member's Only stereotype.
CATTMAN

Old 01-15-2014, 07:08 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jmt053
I still have the stereotype in my mind of a corvette owner...
Pretty funny, go the GTR thread, you'll get an earful about the typical PORSCHE owner!

Old 01-15-2014, 08:46 PM
Wheeler is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Cattman
I understand what you mean about the stereotype, and despite my having ordered a C7, I am definitely not over it. But with continued excellence like the current model and the soon-to-be 2015 Z06, and more younger guys like me buying them, and more guys coming over from other European exotics, that stereotype should fade, eventually. But I agree, it's hard to shake the mustache and Member's Only stereotype.
CATTMAN
Just keep being the one that breaks the stereotype! As I said earlier in this thread, I can appreciate all brands and any exhibition of horse power...period. How anyone can be "brand loyal" in this age, with all the different performance cars is beyond me! I plan on using my 997 as test drive bait!

Old 01-15-2014, 11:40 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
Sure you can... There is a time and place for everything.
Should have said 'can't use what I have to its limit'

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 vs Stingray?