997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 vs Stingray?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 07:12 AM
Fskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to behold
The C7 is a very nice sports car and GM has done a great job with it. Not the prettiest car but definitely not the ugliest I have ever seen. GM finally went out and put on some great parts like Brembo brakes, they now have the same seat supplier as Porsche. I'm just a little afraid about the history of GM's bean counters. I hope they didn't cut corners like they do with all of there other products. I hope the stingray will hold up to track events and I hope they can improve on there resale value's. Only time will tell.
It would be nice to see an American car running with Porsche's, Ferrari's, and lambo's

Its a great time to be an Auto Enthusiast!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	corvette drivers.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	321865  
Old 01-16-2014, 09:35 AM
blackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
I didn't know it was announced today. I've been discussing for over several days now. We've been seeing Z06 info for a while... I wonder where this information starts..??

I've also heard there is no intention for ZR-1 at the moment. Even back in the C6 days, this project didn't start until late in its generation.
It would be nice if the ZR-1 had really unique bodywork as opposed to "regular" 'vettes. Chevy could then keep tight control off parts to prevent it being copied by aftermarket. It would allow them to sell for much more $$ as it would be unique and limited edition.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:40 PM
cyberay is infamous around these parts
I ordered a C7 in November and was pleasantly surprised when it arrived at the dealership on 12/30/13. I picked it up the next day, New Year's Eve, and have driven it several hundred miles. Before I continue, let me just say that I enjoy the '12 GTS Cab as much today as I did two years ago when it was fresh off the boat. But, (there's always a "but" right?) this Stingray is an absolute blast to drive. It's a manual, and I checked all the boxes that mattered, assuring that it is as comfortable and convenient as a family sedan and still capable of blazing speed on the track as well as the street. It is good. It is very good. The torque and the sounds it generates will make a believer out of most enthusiasts that have an open mind and are not influenced by the image of past Corvettes. It is as solid as a bank vault, and no matter which door or hatch you close it's like a Mercedes. On the road, even when just tooling around, it feels and sounds like a race car begging to be let loose. The technology never intrudes unless you choose to allow it. Sound system, Pandora, apps, 5 different driving modes, and 3 different instrument panel configurations. There's plenty to play with and you can drive a "different" car every day for two weeks just by pointing and clicking at the screens. I know it sounds like I'm schilling for GM, but remember I'm a Porsche guy for 30 years and resent the bailout. Well, at least until I remember that if there weren't a bailout I wouldn't be writing this.

I'm old, got my first Stingray in 1964, a wine-red '65 convertible, with solid lifter semi-race 327ci/365 hp engine, and a four speed. It was not a good car, built just before a UAW strike and had just about every problem imaginable. After that I lusted over the new Porsche 911 but there was no way I could ever swing it. Over the years I would own three more Corvettes (and 911's) and each one was better. This Stingray, like the GTS, is the best yet, by far. But it will not replace the Porsche. It will coexist very nicely. They are two very different cars, and I doubt that most people would ever get tired of driving either one.

I became a believer in the car, just as Chevrolet intended for me to be, by accepting an invitation to participate in a track day at Palm Beach International Raceway. Chevrolet rented the track for three days, each day there were approximately 3 dozen participants like me driving several of the almost 70 C7s they brought with them. There was instruction provided by Indy car drivers, my instructor was Adam Andretti, and there was lots of track time. No co-rider in the car, just me and the mandate to drive as fast as possible so as not to hold up anyone behind, and absolutely no passing. That was it. The cars were flogged mercilessly 16 hours a day for three days. I was in the very last group and all the cars were still running, and none broke. I was impressed enough to go out and order one. Now I'm glad I did. It is a perfect complement to a 911.

Best to all,

Ray

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0036.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	4.66 MB
ID:	322155   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0032.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	4.26 MB
ID:	322157   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0033.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	4.29 MB
ID:	322163  

Last edited by cyberay; 01-17-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:31 AM
mark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by cyberay
I ordered a C7 in November and was pleasantly surprised when it arrived at the dealership on 12/30/13. I picked it up the next day, New Year's Eve, and have driven it several hundred miles. Before I continue, let me just say that I enjoy the '12 GTS Cab as much today as I did two years ago when it was fresh off the boat. But, (there's always a "but" right?) this Stingray is an absolute blast to drive. It's a manual, and I checked all the boxes that mattered, assuring that it is as comfortable and convenient as a family sedan and still capable of blazing speed on the track as well as the street. It is good. It is very good. The torque and the sounds it generates will make a believer out of most enthusiasts that have an open mind and are not influenced by the image of past Corvettes. It is as solid as a bank vault, and no matter which door or hatch you close it's like a Mercedes. On the road, even when just tooling around, it feels and sounds like a race car begging to be let loose. The technology never intrudes unless you choose to allow it. Sound system, Pandora, apps, 5 different driving modes, and 3 different instrument panel configurations. There's plenty to play with and you can drive a "different" car every day for two weeks just by pointing and clicking at the screens. I know it sounds like I'm schilling for GM, but remember I'm a Porsche guy for 30 years and resent the bailout. Well, at least until I remember that if there weren't a bailout I wouldn't be writing this.

I'm old, got my first Stingray in 1964, a wine-red '65 convertible, with solid lifter semi-race 327ci/365 hp engine, and a four speed. It was not a good car, built just before a UAW strike and had just about every problem imaginable. After that I lusted over the new Porsche 911 but there was no way I could ever swing it. Over the years I would own three more Corvettes (and 911's) and each one was better. This Stingray, like the GTS, is the best yet, by far. But it will not replace the Porsche. It will coexist very nicely. They are two very different cars, and I doubt that most people would ever get tired of driving either one.

I became a believer in the car, just as Chevrolet intended for me to be, by accepting an invitation to participate in a track day at Palm Beach International Raceway. Chevrolet rented the track for three days, each day there were approximately 3 dozen participants like me driving several of the almost 70 C7s they brought with them. There was instruction provided by Indy car drivers, my instructor was Adam Andretti, and there was lots of track time. No co-rider in the car, just me and the mandate to drive as fast as possible so as not to hold up anyone behind, and absolutely no passing. That was it. The cars were flogged mercilessly 16 hours a day for three days. I was in the very last group and all the cars were still running, and none broke. I was impressed enough to go out an order one. Now I'm glad I did. It is a perfect complement to a 911.

Best to all,

Ray
Well stated and very nice cars. I agree - they do compliment each other.
For car enthusiasts, C7 is blessing - it's a great car in a very competitive market that will push other car manufactures to stay on their heels.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:34 AM
Wheeler is infamous around these parts
White looks great! Nice choice!

This whole debate may come down the transmissions in the future. I'll never have an automatic sports car (call them what you want, they're automatic).

Old 01-17-2014, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by Wheeler
White looks great! Nice choice!

This whole debate may come down the transmissions in the future. I'll never have an automatic sports car (call them what you want, they're automatic).

Thanks. I agree.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:49 AM
MMK110464 is infamous around these parts
Hi Cyberay:

Excellent review. Enjoy it in good health.

What do you think about the size of the C7? Is it much bigger than the GTS?

Old 01-17-2014, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by MMK110464
Hi Cyberay:

Excellent review. Enjoy it in good health.

What do you think about the size of the C7? Is it much bigger than the GTS?

Only at first did it feel bigger and that's because the seat is low and the fenders are high. The actual dimensions are pretty much equal to the GTS. The wheelbase is considerably longer. It took me a good 100 miles to get used to it and be comfortable driving it as I do the GTS. It's very conflicting, in that a favorite is impossible for me to decide on, and the good part is, I look forward to using the one I'm not using at present.

I'm sure there are many around the world that would have a hard time appreciating this problem and I wouldn't blame them. Even though I'm pretty conservative and somewhat libertarian.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:10 AM
VinceC is infamous around these parts
Looks great. I especially love your color choice.
I also believe every word you say about it. It looks like a lot of fun.

My only reservation is how will it be holding up in 3-5 years. I guess I still have to be convinced GM can make a car where the interior doesn't start rattling, fraying, and generally feel like it's falling apart prematurely.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by VinceC

My only reservation is how will it be holding up in 3-5 years. I guess I still have to be convinced GM can make a car where the interior doesn't start rattling, fraying, and generally feel like it's falling apart prematurely.

Hi Vince,

This one will hold up very well because I'm pretty fussy in caring for the car. As for the abusive types, only time will tell. From what I see today, the materials and workmanship, while not up to Porsche standards, are still pretty good. If the bloom doesn't come off the rose, and if I still like the car, I'll likely replace it in a couple of years after the mid-generation updates are made.

Ray

Old 01-17-2014, 12:46 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
So excited, my C7 is due for production next week!
CATTMAN

Old 01-17-2014, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by Cattman
So excited, my C7 is due for production next week!
CATTMAN
Interesting, in the past I saw your posts on these Porsche forums, then a couple of months ago I saw your name on the C7 forums. At first, I wasn't sure where I had seen the name previously, then recently I realized that the "Cattmans" were the same. Good luck on your impending new car. I think you will like it, so much so during the first few weeks that you will probably question whether you want to keep the Porsche cars. But as time goes on you will realize that the Porsche is indispensable and a complement to the Stingray, or vice versa.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:23 PM
Wheeler is infamous around these parts
I'm curious to hear from anyone that spent some time in a C6 to compare the two...preferably someone like Ray that's obviously not biased. I only ask because my last drive in a C6 was absolutely 180 degrees different than the 997.1's I drove back to back last fall. That said, having owned mine a few months now and done some hooning around, I can no doubt make a more educated evaluation now. But the C6 did nothing for me. The 997 did everything.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by Wheeler
I'm curious to hear from anyone that spent some time in a C6 to compare the two...preferably someone like Ray that's obviously not biased. I only ask because my last drive in a C6 was absolutely 180 degrees different than the 997.1's I drove back to back last fall. That said, having owned mine a few months now and done some hooning around, I can no doubt make a more educated evaluation now. But the C6 did nothing for me. The 997 did everything.

I skipped the C6 generation so I can't be much help. However, from what I've read in the trade mags and anecdotally on the Corvette forums, there is night and day between the two. And remember, just as with Porsche, how the car is equipped with suspension, exhaust, and other options, will make a huge difference in the way it sounds and feels. Again, despite no first hand experience to offer, I advise you toignore previous C6 experiences and try a C7. Not sure if you're anywhere near me, but if so, come on by and experience it.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:58 PM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by VinceC

I have a friend that has a 2003 C5 Corvette convertible as his daily driver/beater. Don't worry, he has a 996 C4S also. I have ridden in the car and it has held up extremely well. The interior in the C5 is not as nice as the C7, but it looks as good as new. The car has no rattles and doesn't leak a drop. I was very impressed with how well the car has held up. He bought the car used.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 vs Stingray?