997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 vs Stingray?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 07:34 PM
Wheeler is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Cattman
So after about a month and nearly 1,200 miles in the C7 here are some thoughts/ comparisons:

-The 997S seems to intuitively know what I want it to do at exactly the moment I want to do it, and is always, without fail, right there with me. It is definitely not as fast, but it can nip and scoot into a tight spot more easily, or at least it FEELS that way.

-The C7 Stingray (with Z51) kicks *** over my modified 997S, in a straight line, around a track, in the ****pit, with technology, on the stereo, etc. And everyone loves it. It's new, so still rare, but everywhere I go, I get thumbs up. Never knew how much love there was for the 'Vette, and always felt "special" in my 997S, but the Stingray is a whole other level of love, from all demographic segments.

I love the Stingray, but my 997S fits me like a glove. They are the SAME length! They weigh the same, and while the Stingray out-handles the 997S, the 997S FEELS better- to me. What can I say. Number are on the side of the 'Vette, but my emotions are with the 997S, even with mine being nearly 10 yrs old with 77k miles.

Here's a pic. I do think it screams "look at me!", but so does a lambo. It gets the attention because it really looks dramatic.

Last thought for now:
-The C7 forums are an absolute joke. There are some people who post well-thought-out comments, but the vast majority seem to be old, angry, rude, people, who have no life. Just my opinion, but as a 6Speed member for ages, hitting the C7 forums is like dumpster diving.
CATTMAN
Just when I want to hate on Corvette Guy, Cattman shows up with his white one (my favorite color so far) and some well worded commentary! For god's sake give us something... tell us you have a Corvette trucker hat, size medium Corvette shirt and wear denim shorts with dark socks and tennis shoes!!! Anything!! Being reasonable will get you nowhere here!!

Another great honest review. Repped. Seriously....faster than your SC 997??

Old 03-03-2014, 07:39 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Sorry, no denim cutoffs here.
I am what I am, but thanks!
Here's another pic for your wall, this one with the 14 lb carbon fiber targa top removed.
CATTMAN

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2874.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	341643  
Old 03-03-2014, 07:42 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
OK, maybe one shot of me

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1162.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	700.1 KB
ID:	341644  
Old 03-03-2014, 07:50 PM
Wheeler is infamous around these parts
OK, maybe one shot of me
I really did LOL! You're much younger than I imagined! Hahahaha...

Old 03-03-2014, 08:38 PM
Franky Knuckles is infamous around these parts
Sorry, no denim cutoffs here.
I am what I am, but thanks!
Here's another pic for your wall, this one with the 14 lb carbon fiber targa top removed.
CATTMAN
Damn that baby is sexy.................nice choice getting the white. I like the red, the white and the black stingray's.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:04 PM
mark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud of
So after about a month and nearly 1,200 miles in the C7 here are some thoughts/ comparisons:

-The 997S seems to intuitively know what I want it to do at exactly the moment I want to do it, and is always, without fail, right there with me. It is definitely not as fast, but it can nip and scoot into a tight spot more easily, or at least it FEELS that way.

-The C7 Stingray (with Z51) kicks *** over my modified 997S, in a straight line, around a track, in the ****pit, with technology, on the stereo, etc. And everyone loves it. It's new, so still rare, but everywhere I go, I get thumbs up. Never knew how much love there was for the 'Vette, and always felt "special" in my 997S, but the Stingray is a whole other level of love, from all demographic segments.

I love the Stingray, but my 997S fits me like a glove. They are the SAME length! They weigh the same, and while the Stingray out-handles the 997S, the 997S FEELS better- to me. What can I say. Number are on the side of the 'Vette, but my emotions are with the 997S, even with mine being nearly 10 yrs old with 77k miles.

Here's a pic. I do think it screams "look at me!", but so does a lambo. It gets the attention because it really looks dramatic.

Last thought for now:
-The C7 forums are an absolute joke. There are some people who post well-thought-out comments, but the vast majority seem to be old, angry, rude, people, who have no life. Just my opinion, but as a 6Speed member for ages, hitting the C7 forums is like dumpster diving.
CATTMAN
Great summary of your experience with the C7 and how it stacks up against the 997S. I agree with all your points. I feel the same way with all the Porsche's I've owned. There are faster and better performing cars out there but I love every Porsche I've owned for the way it feels when I drive it.

I'm curious as how my 2011 C4S compares with the C7... your thoughts?

Last edited by mark12345; 03-03-2014 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:41 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
-The C7 Stingray (with Z51) kicks *** over my modified 997S, in a straight line, around a track, in the ****pit,
Vs. a 530hp 997? Due to power delivery??

Old 03-04-2014, 04:29 AM
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Vs. a 530hp 997? Due to power delivery??
My 997S is no longer supercharged- the engine exploded on the track.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:21 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
My 997S is no longer supercharged- the engine exploded on the track.
Ouch! When did this happened?

Old 03-04-2014, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by Ynot
Ouch! When did this happened?
Couple years ago. I installed a new 997S engine, with the updated bearings, etc.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:31 AM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
Can you comment on the build quality? That is the one thing that always gets me with American cars. The materials are usually not as nice. And panel gap is uneven. We 'mercans seem to love plastic.

Your 997 is 10 year's old. I am not surprised that the Vette outperforms it in almost all categories, but you are comparing a brand new $70 car to a 10 year old $100K+ car. So stating that they are even in the same hemisphere from one another, speaks VOLUMES about the quality of a 911.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:04 AM
scanners is infamous around these parts
here here

Old 04-16-2014, 11:00 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gloves
Can you comment on the build quality? That is the one thing that always gets me with American cars. The materials are usually not as nice. And panel gap is uneven. We 'mercans seem to love plastic.

Your 997 is 10 year's old. I am not surprised that the Vette outperforms it in almost all categories, but you are comparing a brand new $70 car to a 10 year old $100K+ car. So stating that they are even in the same hemisphere from one another, speaks VOLUMES about the quality of a 911.
I recently got into the new C7 corvette at the Denver auto show. The interior is better than the C6 but that is not saying much. It's maybe a bit better than the 997 but definitely not close to the 991. That is probably one of the most popular cars at the auto show. It looks good but the rear seems to be too big, size wise it's similar to a GTR in my opinion and I didn't like the GTR b/c it seems too big. It's still a bargain and Chevy will sell everyone of them.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:13 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gloves
Originally Posted by Ynot
I recently got into the new C7 corvette at the Denver auto show. The interior is better than the C6 but that is not saying much. It's maybe a bit better than the 997 but definitely not close to the 991. That is probably one of the most popular cars at the auto show. It looks good but the rear seems to be too big, size wise it's similar to a GTR in my opinion and I didn't like the GTR b/c it seems too big. It's still a bargain and Chevy will sell everyone of them.
Definitely better than the C6 but not hugely so. Still have a high, long hood to look over. The rev-match paddles behind the steering wheel, with button(s) WITH a 7speed manual is weird overkill. Why not a rev-match on-off button?

Radio is still Chevy. Great car, but I still prefer a 911 or Cayman S.