997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Cheap vs Expensive Carbon Fiber

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 03:56 AM
MrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud of
I can vouch for MA carbon (my 360 was their Ferrari test car ) and I have at times purchased other parts like mirror covers for the 997. They were crap and the hassle of sending them back was not worth it. My kids liked the way they looked and they played with them for awhile, before they hit the trash. Had another guy who said he could coat any part in carbon fiber so I brought a couple extra door handles for a Lamborghini and gave them to him. Six weeks later what I got back from him went in the trash. What I found it was that a lot of people might make these products though not everyone makes them well.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:53 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MrPrice
I can vouch for MA carbon (my 360 was their Ferrari test car ) and I have at times purchased other parts like mirror covers for the 997. They were crap and the hassle of sending them back was not worth it. My kids liked the way they looked and they played with them for awhile, before they hit the trash. Had another guy who said he could coat any part in carbon fiber so I brought a couple extra door handles for a Lamborghini and gave them to him. Six weeks later what I got back from him went in the trash. What I found it was that a lot of people might make these products though not everyone makes them well.
Just happened to be on Ebay and was taken to an item from them. It was the little rectangular cover on the door. It was listed as a door "set", which also had the door pull and handle in the picture. The listing was about $400. It was only for the little rectangular cover!!! Quality is one thing, exorbitant pricing for non-critical parts is something else.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:20 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Car-Narcissist
Here are some links to some of the CF I've found on eBay that I would buy if the quality was acceptable. Of course, I could probably get similar (and potentially better) items from MA, Rottec, etc but at their prices, I would pass.

Door Handles

Door Sills

Door Finishers (with handles)

I emailed the eBay seller and here is the reply I got...

Thank you for your enquiry. I have checked for you. It is hand cut and we will apply 3-layers of clear coat.
best regards,
Alisa
Those door handles went for $78. Time to revisit interest in this thread.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:26 PM
Domer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond repute
If I were to buy CF sills for my car, I would shop for the cheapest option, period. They just take way too much of a beating (mostly from service techs) to spend the big money on them.

My OEM CF parts are of far lesser quality than those I have purchased from MACarbon and DB Carbon.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by Domer911
If I were to buy CF sills for my car, I would shop for the cheapest option, period. They just take way too much of a beating (mostly from service techs) to spend the big money on them.

My OEM CF parts are of far lesser quality than those I have purchased from MACarbon and DB Carbon.
Agreed. Let's see some pics of your interior! In your view, was the difference between MACarbon and DB Carbon worth the money? You got me thinking!

Old 04-30-2014, 08:39 PM
Kustom64 is infamous around these parts
I recently won an eBay auction from luxmotorparts for the carbon fiber fuse box cover. I figured I would take a chance since i won it for $76 and it's not right out in plain view if it's not perfect. It actually was an OEM part covered in quality carbon with a very nice clear coat. It matches very close to the carbon on my OEM carbon console. I've only had it about a month so we will have to see how it holds up.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:17 AM
TYE
TYE is infamous around these parts
Another option you could consider is hydro dipping the oem part. No issues with cracking or fading etc. and less costly than buying cf parts

www.endlesshydrographics.com

Old 05-02-2014, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by TYE
Another option you could consider is hydro dipping the oem part. No issues with cracking or fading etc. and less costly than buying cf parts

www.endlesshydrographics.com
Looks kinda cool - I wonder what this is - something between a wrap and a dip? This might suffice for a fuse box cover or something, but this is really like a sticker. You can buy carbon fiber sticker covers, although it would be really hard to get them to wrap around most parts. These faux carbon finishes lack the real magic of carbon fiber, which is the three dimensionality of true carbon fiber. That is the allure of the material.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:39 PM
TYE
Originally Posted by ryem3
Looks kinda cool - I wonder what this is - something between a wrap and a dip? This might suffice for a fuse box cover or something, but this is really like a sticker. You can buy carbon fiber sticker covers, although it would be really hard to get them to wrap around most parts. These faux carbon finishes lack the real magic of carbon fiber, which is the three dimensionality of true carbon fiber. That is the allure of the material.
While it doesnt have the dimensionality its definitely not like a sticker. Here are some examples

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1 (9).JPG
Views:	124
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	369713   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2 (9).JPG
Views:	148
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	369714  
Old 05-02-2014, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by Kustom64
I recently won an eBay auction from luxmotorparts for the carbon fiber fuse box cover. I figured I would take a chance since i won it for $76 and it's not right out in plain view if it's not perfect. It actually was an OEM part covered in quality carbon with a very nice clear coat. It matches very close to the carbon on my OEM carbon console. I've only had it about a month so we will have to see how it holds up.
Post pics!
Interested to see what they would do for some parts. Most of the world's CF comes from factories in Taiwan, so this is probably the best way to buy close to the source.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by TYE
While it doesnt have the dimensionality its definitely not like a sticker. Here are some examples
Cool. Is that your car? Ballpark pricing?
How easy it it to remove?

Old 05-02-2014, 12:42 PM
TYE
Not my car, a friends car. What do you mean by how easy is it to remove? Once you hyrdo dip it its permanent. There is a bunch of clear coat over it after the dip as well.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by TYE

Not my car, a friends car. What do you mean by how easy is it to remove? Once you hyrdo dip it its permanent. There is a bunch of clear coat over it after the dip as well.
Major bummer. I wouldn't dip oem parts. You couldn't go back to stock. Buying the oem parts would be very expensive.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:01 PM
Swoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really nice
Originally Posted by TYE
From the pics, I think that looks really nice. As long as you did not have a mix of real CF and this going on, no one would probably ever notice.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:46 PM
WearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond repute
It does not come off, it is effectively a gel paint with a pattern. You float the gel which is embedded in matrix in a tank of heated water. Remove the backing with a chemical, and spray on a activator chemical for adhesion.

Good hydrograffic guys are few and far between and it works a lot better with things like camo patterns where you do not terribly worried about alignment and distortion from the dip. having said that small pieces that are applied correctly and with automotive grade clear on top do look very very good.

Camo looks really good done this way and it is the only economical way to apply it to things like bows or complex shapes.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cheap vs Expensive Carbon Fiber