997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

c7 stingray vs 997

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 11:08 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MrPrice
... And get with the program Porsche, Ferrari, etc, heads up displays are a great drivers aid...
Amen, brother!

I had a Nissan 180 back in the early '90s that had one. Not sure why this fell off the map. I think it should be standard (with ability to turn on/off with a memory setting (so there is no default on/off behavior that must be modified each time you turn the car on)).

Old 03-02-2014, 11:25 AM
tphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond repute
my co worker gave a ride in his C5 Z06 404 rwhp, oh boy, it was fast...he took it up to 148 mph in seconds. what a ride it was.

I am sure the C7 Stingray is one heck of a car.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:24 PM
Carnut12 is infamous around these parts
I was very interested, still am a little, however every time I enter the Corvette Forums it confirms my belief Corvette owners have a well deserved reputation that I want no part of. Not saying all P-Car owners are perfect, but that place honestly reminds me of a Honda Civic forum sometimes.

This should not influence the car you buy, but I have been down this road before and for me it does. I had a 20th Anniversary GTI, I loved it, but the ricer attention it drew drove me nuts.

Very nice car for the money, I hope it pushes Porsche to either improve or realize they are way over-priced at this point.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:03 PM
dethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Carnut12
I was very interested, still am a little, however every time I enter the Corvette Forums it confirms my belief Corvette owners have a well deserved reputation that I want no part of. Not saying all P-Car owners are perfect, but that place honestly reminds me of a Honda Civic forum sometimes.
never been on th ecorvette forums, just wondering what kind of behavior on the forums puts you off? immaturity? riceyness? *******d-ness? just curious.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:17 PM
Carnut12 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by dethman
never been on th ecorvette forums, just wondering what kind of behavior on the forums puts you off? immaturity? riceyness? *******d-ness? just curious.
Not ricey so my reference of Civic may be poor.

The immaturity to me is beyond any forum I have ever been a part of and I have been an active member of dozens. Dare I say it is even worse than the 370z forum. Based on pictures of new owners GM failed to attract a younger crowd, most are 55-60 plus, how so many in this age bracket can be so immature is astonishing. There is also an extreme lack of basic intelligence.

To be clear it is not all members, but more than I have seen on any other forum.

Last edited by Carnut12; 03-02-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:09 PM
Wheeler is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Carnut12
Not ricey so my reference of Civic may be poor.

The immaturity to me is beyond any forum I have ever been a part of and I have been an active member of dozens. Dare I say it is even worse than the 370z forum. Based on pictures of new owners GM failed to attract a younger crowd, most are 55-60 plus, how so many in this age bracket can be so immature is astonishing. There is also am extreme lack of basic intelligence.

To be clear it is not all members, but more than I have seen on any other forum.
I think that's a accurate statement. I spent quite a bit of time there a few years ago when I was hot on getting a C6. One thing I found is that they are VERY brand loyal, I mean to a fault...blinders on. As you said, not all, but most. The theme seemed to be around just owning the car...not so much the driving experience. I feel like MOST people here or on Rennlist, bought 911's because driving experience is so visceral and the cars do something for them that other cars don't...not because they're just "porsche guys and always wanted one". Let's face it, there are many other cars out there that the general public views as "cool", a lot cooler than these overprice volkswagens we drive. I hear/read a LOT more participation, knowledge and conversation about different brands HERE than anywhere else (including vettes). There are SO many great cars to embrace but Corvette Guy only knows one...and they're in hog heaven right now with the C7.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:49 PM
cab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud of
I still want a Corvette before i die. I'll promise I will not put on a license plate holder that I saw once on a corvette. It says...

"I eat Porsches for breakfast!"

Old 03-03-2014, 05:36 AM
MrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud of
I am on both Forums as well as Ferrarichat and there are always going to people who seem to loose their manners when they start typing. I am a one of those old guys (at least by my birth date) and I am way past letting any of that kind of stuff bother me or influence what car I drive. I write novels as a hobby and when you deal with critics you need a thick skin.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:43 AM
Scrambler8 is infamous around these parts
This is an interesting topic. As MrPrice stated, I am at a point in my life where the opinion of other people will not affect my choices in the car(s) I drive, except for my wife to some degree. I was "thinking" about a C7. When I told her, she said the car was ugly and she asked me if I was having a mid-life crisis. I told her, "Unless I live to 110, I am past having a mid-life crisis and that she is the only woman I want in my sports car." That mollified her. She has no problem with the Cayman S I have on order. (Of course, she doesn't know how much they cost, nor will I tell her. I will cross that bridge when I have to.)

As for her comment on the C7, I certainly don't agree. I happen to like the C7 - except for the rear end. I would like to drive one, as they seem to be at least a match for Porsche performance when it comes to measurable Criteria. On the other hand, I would never give up my C4S for a C7. There is an intangible effect when I drive the car. It makes me smile - and that is what counts in the end.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:09 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
I have an '87 Carrera 3.2, and a 2005 Carrera 997S, and a month ago I received my 2014 Stingray. I've got pretty much the same thread going on this debate right here: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-stingray.html with over 8 pages of content already posted, so it would be great if these could be combined.

That said, fantastic review of the C7, and for the most part I agree that the 997S is more the car for me.

Here's why:
-the 997S seems to intuitively know what I want it to do at exactly the moment I want to do it, and is always, without fail, right there with me.
-the C7 forums are an absolute joke. There are some people who post well-thought-out comments, but the vast majority seem to be old, angry, rude, people, who have no life. Just my opinion, but as a 6Speed member for ages, hitting the C7 forums was a wake up call.

But I can tell you that this C7 (with Z51) kicks *** over my modified 997S, in a straight line, around a track, in the ****pit, with technology, on the stereo, etc. And everyone loves it. It's new, so still rare, but everywhere I go, I get thumbs up. Never knew how much love there was for the 'Vette, and always felt "special" in my 997S, but the Stingray is a whole other level of love, from all demographic segments.

I love the Stingray, but my 997S fits me like a glove. They are the SAME length! They weigh the same, and while the Stingray out-handles the 997S, the 997S feels better- to me. What can I say. Number are on the side of the 'Vette, but my emotions are with the 997S, even with mine being nearly 10 yrs old with 77k miles.

Here's a pic. I do think it screams "look at me!", but so does a lambo. It gets the attention because it really looks dramatic.
CATTMAN

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1156.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	3.12 MB
ID:	341640  

Last edited by Cattman; 03-03-2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:20 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Cattman
I have an '87 Carrera 3.2, and a 2005 Carrera 997S, and a month ago I received my 2014 Stingray. I've got pretty much the same thread going on this debate right here: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-stingray.html with over 8 pages of content already posted, so it would be great if these could be combined.

That said, fantastic review of the C7, and for the most part I agree that the 997S is more the car for me.

Here's why:
-the 997S seems to intuitively know what I want it to do at exactly the moment I want to do it, and is always, without fail, right there with me.
-the C7 forums are an absolute joke. There are some people who post well-thought-out comments, but the vast majority seem to be old, angry, rude, people, who have no life. Just my opinion, but as a 6Speed member for ages, hitting the C7 forums was a wake up call.

But I can tell you that this C7 (with Z51) kicks *** over my modified 997S, in a straight line, around a track, in the ****pit, with technology, on the stereo, etc. And everyone loves it. It's new, so still rare, but everywhere I go, I get thumbs up. Never knew how much love there was for the 'Vette, and always felt "special" in my 997S, but the Stingray is a whole other level of love, from all demographic segments.

I love the Stingray, but my 997S fits me like a glove. They are the SAME length! They weigh the same, and while the Stingray out-handles the 997S, the 997S feels better- to me. What can I say. Number are on the side of the 'Vette, but my emotions are with the 997S, even with mine being nearly 10 yrs old with 77k miles.

Here's a pic. I do think it screams "look at me!", but so does a lambo. It gets the attention because it really looks dramatic.
CATTMAN
So the 997S is 10yrs old, how many of those were yours?

Speculation - you're used to driving the 911. I believe you know how to 'communicate' with it better, simply because your ownership has a longer tenure. Some things come natural.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:55 AM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
So the 997S is 10yrs old, how many of those were yours?

Speculation - you're used to driving the 911. I believe you know how to 'communicate' with it better, simply because your ownership has a longer tenure. Some things come natural.
I suspect you're right, which is why I am trying to drive the Stingray as often as I can. I really need to get it on the track so I can see what it's limits are, so I can gain confidence in it. Right now, it feels more powerful than I need, and that power can make it feel a little squirrely until I know I can rein it in, and obviously I'm sensible enough not to gain that kind of experience on open roads. A track day or two will go a long way, I am sure.
CATTMAN

Old 03-04-2014, 10:20 AM
cyberay is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mattyf
Did the event today. The car is fun, no doubt. Really easy to get the tail lose and super predicable once it is. The sport seats were excellent, manual transmission produced clean, crisp rifle bolt shifts (even a heel toe downshift to first on the autocross course was no problem). The auto was near dismal... mine felt like it kept cutting out the throttle during long pauses between shifts on the big track.

The steering was numb, and the handling, while great, also felt a little disconnected. The road was too dampened out from the ride. Even in track mode I missed the stiffer ride of the 997 in sport. Super fast in a straight line, but it felt like the back end stepped out too easily, which is fun, but the car could be faster if it didn't happen so much. Not sure what the skid pad is on the stingray, but it didn't feel better than the 997... Even if it is.

All in all a fun car, but it felt like it was just the big 6.2 liter engine that made it. Kind of a one trick pony. Also the engine when you look at hp per liter is awful. I think the V6 Camry might be better.

Still I get why these are so popular, but I'll take the 911 over this any day of the week. Unless of course you're taking about a pure hoonmobile... Then the C7 has the Porsche beat.
With all due respect to you, Matty, I don't think that you can make a comprehensive judgement based on the few hours spent at the Precision Drive Event. Some specific observations of racing abilities maybe, but not a judgement on how much fun the car is on a daily basis. Once you have used it for a while you will discover it is no one trick pony.

I attended the event back in October, 2013 and came away impressed enough to order a manual C7 with the needed options. I have a 2012 Carrera GTS Cab, manual as well and similarly equipped, and I enjoy it dearly. My reasoning was that the Stingray and the GTS are different enough that there was room for both in my garage. I never expected that the Stingray would take the place of the GTS, and I still don't. However, the level of enjoyment and general goodness of it continues to grow the more I use it. Forget the price, it is just plain fun to drive and very, very capable, and very, very comfortable at any price. It is a car that I look forward to driving regardless of where I'm going. I still don't expect it to take the place of the GTS, and I do wonder when/if the bloom is going to come off the rose. So far it hasn't and the attraction has only grown. All this from a real Porsche guy, admittedly one that doesn't take it to the track, but one who is also objective.

As for the "wow" factor, in the time I've owned it I've gotten more compliments and "wows" than I have gotten for all the different brand new 911's that I've owned. People have actually pulled alongside on two lane roads to snap cell phone pictures. That's not the kind of attention I'm necessarily looking for, but it is impressive.

And finally, this is maybe going to sound strange, but after having said all that, I look forward to my time with the GTS more now than ever before. The Corvette helps me to take note of the little refinements of the GTS that I may have forgotten or taken for granted. The Stingray has brought some conflict into my otherwise orderly life.

Ray

Old 03-04-2014, 11:04 AM
niki66 is infamous around these parts
I presently have a 2011 911 4S. I enjoy the car very much but will probable purchase a Corvette C7 as my next car. I can purchase a C7 with the Z51 package, magnetic ride, navagation, etc for about $61,000. Half the price of a new 911 S. Porsche has priced me out as a future customer.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:31 AM
cyberay is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by niki66
I presently have a 2011 911 4S. I enjoy the car very much but will probable purchase a Corvette C7 as my next car. I can purchase a C7 with the Z51 package, magnetic ride, navagation, etc for about $61,000. Half the price of a new 911 S. Porsche has priced me out as a future customer.
I hear you Niki, even those whose budget would allow for a new 911 may balk at paying the higher prices. I think Porsche's strategy for continuing their wide margins is to push those people who are resistant down to the Boxster/Cayman.

Ray

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: c7 stingray vs 997