997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Wholly BEEP - I hit a fox tonight!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 08:26 PM
John Ferguson has a spectacular aura aboutJohn Ferguson has a spectacular aura about
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. While driving 65 MPH hit a deer right between the headlights in a 3 week old Toyota 4X4. Pushed the radiator back into the motor, never had a chance to even hit the brakes, had to be towed.

Old 09-10-2005, 07:36 AM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
What is very strange is the paint code chalked onto the area behind your bumper/grille. That should NEVER be there, and there is no reason the factory would ever need it there.

Did you buy this car new? Could have been a factory repair at port from damage to the front. Don't be surprised, but ask your salesman if there was any report of this, and maybe the front clip is covered because of prior repair.

6B4 is the factory code for Seal Grey.

Old 09-10-2005, 09:17 AM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by John Ferguson
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. While driving 65 MPH hit a deer right between the headlights in a 3 week old Toyota 4X4. Pushed the radiator back into the motor, never had a chance to even hit the brakes, had to be towed.
I hit Bambi.................on a motorcycle!

Old 09-10-2005, 11:43 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Wholly smokes

Old 09-10-2005, 01:27 PM
synergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by Eric (Plug Guy)
What is very strange is the paint code chalked onto the area behind your bumper/grille. That should NEVER be there, and there is no reason the factory would ever need it there.

Did you buy this car new? Could have been a factory repair at port from damage to the front. Don't be surprised, but ask your salesman if there was any report of this, and maybe the front clip is covered because of prior repair.

6B4 is the factory code for Seal Grey.
Bought brand new with 18miles from the dealer. I will ask, now you have me paranoid as hell....

Old 09-10-2005, 04:36 PM
996toomey is infamous around these parts
Hi Synergy:

Off topic to this thread but do you have a clear bra? I am considering one on GT Silver. Do you have a close up of hood and fenders if you do?

TIA

Old 09-10-2005, 11:33 PM
synergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to behold
Ok - update on this thread....

The car was not in an accident or damaged on port. The numbers behind the grill are normal. In fact, the dealer showed me a Porsche GT with the same numbers...whew - that scared me Eric!!

Now for the bad news, the piece cannot be easily fixed back to stock. In fact, the whole bumper needs to be replaced because all of the plastic holders have broken off. This is a very very costly repair so my dealer thinks they can run a couple hidden screws in order to hold the piece into place instead. They will remove the bumper and try and do this for me next Tuesday.

So, I am pretty upset that my brand new 997 will not be like new anymore...

My advice is to drive slow in dark places!!!

Old 09-10-2005, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by 996toomey
Hi Synergy:

Off topic to this thread but do you have a clear bra? I am considering one on GT Silver. Do you have a close up of hood and fenders if you do?

TIA
I will snap some pics and share later this weekend. A clear bra is a no brainer mod. It will save your *** many times over from pits, rocks and anything on the road that can potentially damage your vehicle. I made sure to have the clear bra installed at the dealer becuase I didn't want to drive a mile without it!

Old 09-11-2005, 10:14 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Geees, was my humor totally wasted or was it just not that funny?

On another note, Clear bra is fantastic. I have it all over my car. Just make sure you get a good installer. It's not a DIY, especially the front bumper. Not saying you couldn't do it, but it really make a diff having someone that knows what they're doing in the overall finished product.

Old 09-11-2005, 03:18 PM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
I would think those kinds of pieces would be designed to break away or snap out under those conditions and should be easily replaced as they are subjected to road debris and at relatively high risk of impacts.

Old 09-11-2005, 03:45 PM
996toomey is infamous around these parts
Thanks Synergy. Who did the install of the clear bra and what kind of film and price? I will be getting my car at Steven's Creek in San Jose and driving down to L.A.

Old 09-11-2005, 04:00 PM
CAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond repute
s y n e r g y

Small world, I was on my way back from my inlaws over labor day weekend and a hub cap flew off a POS Camry on the interstate and smashed up the front of my car. Same damage, it destroyed the grill and scrached up the bumper. My CLS is plauged I think. By the time I saw the hubcap we were getting ready to hit it but it was raining and I thought I may lose it if I swerved. It was like a missle!!!!

Old 09-11-2005, 06:23 PM
wholly smokes! not another one...

hello, is this thing on?

Old 09-12-2005, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by 996toomey
Thanks Synergy. Who did the install of the clear bra and what kind of film and price? I will be getting my car at Steven's Creek in San Jose and driving down to L.A.
Clear Armor of San Carlos did the install and they use 3M products. They actually came to my dealer (Carlsen) and did the work and they can come you. Pricing is pretty negotiable depending on how much you have them do. PM me your quotes and I will try and give you some guidance.

You should not even think twice about getting a clear bra!

Old 09-12-2005, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by CAPTLST
s y n e r g y

Small world, I was on my way back from my inlaws over labor day weekend and a hub cap flew off a POS Camry on the interstate and smashed up the front of my car.
Ouch that sux Cap - it is amazing how much this plastic piece is going to cost to replace. There is no forgivness with the 997 plastic grille. I spent an hour or so today looking at how it connects and it is really a crappy design. This area of the car is extremely suseptable to impact and I cant believe they engineered it this wey! Another idea I had was to buy a mesh grille or some sort of mesh insert instead of replacing the bumper. Does anyone know if this is an option?? It is probably a better option than buying a whole new bumper?!?!?!?