997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Wholly BEEP - I hit a fox tonight!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 10:23 PM
synergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to behold
Unhappy Wholly BEEP - I hit a fox tonight!

Let me set the stage:

My new 997S is a couple weeks old and my in-laws are in for Labor Day weekend. I invite my wife and her mom for a quick ride around the block. We live in an area with hills and brush and as I wind up our hill at about 40mph a white fox runs out in front of me and I have no time to swerve let alone brake much. At first I thought it hit the tire but as soon as I pull up to my house I see that the fox hit the front air dam. It was bad enough that I killed the fox, I also broke the grill and snapped off about three of the plastic clamps.

It amazes me how cheap the plastic clamps and grill are as I pulled off the hanging black plastic piece. See pics below, do you guys think I will need to replace the entire lower bumper piece? Will this cost me a fortune? I guess I need to look on the bright side - no humans were hurt during the drive and there are no body dents or scrapes on the 997s...

What a painful night and a sad ending to what was turning out to be a great weekend!

Old 09-06-2005, 10:36 PM
XX911XX is infamous around these parts
Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you're safe. It could have been worse.

When I read your thread, I had images of blood and guts all over your car.

Old 09-06-2005, 10:41 PM
synergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to behold
Yeah - after it happened I was thinking that I would need a hose and a brush. Thankfully not.....BUT I also didn't think I did as much damage to the bumper. All the plastic clamps are broken off and I just had the clear bra installed. I fear that buying a whole new bumper and having the clear bra re-installed is going to be expensive.

Old 09-06-2005, 10:47 PM
XX911XX is infamous around these parts
Wouldn't insurance cover it?

Clear Bra for the front bumper is about $400.

Old 09-06-2005, 10:48 PM
cnc
Awaiting Email Confirmation
cnc is infamous around these parts
Strange I saw a silver fox on the road yesterday morning, about 6:30. Was this in the Saratoga/Los Gatos area?

You're lucky it could been a lot worse...but I'm sure that doesn't help too much at the moment.

Best bodyshop is EMC in Fremont!

Old 09-06-2005, 11:05 PM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
yup could have been worse, doesn't look that bad.

EMC in fremont!

Old 09-06-2005, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by cnc
Strange I saw a silver fox on the road yesterday morning, about 6:30. Was this in the Saratoga/Los Gatos area?
About five miles from there - near 87 and Capitol. Hillsdale and Vistapark to be exact.

Old 09-06-2005, 11:45 PM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
Put a mesh grill instead.

Old 09-07-2005, 12:43 AM
Mike S is infamous around these partsMike S is infamous around these parts
glad you're ok and and it wasn't serious. nah i doubt you'll need to replace the whole bumper sure you can just order the parts neccessary and it will be fixed up i no time!

Old 09-07-2005, 03:57 AM
msindi is infamous around these parts
Poor foxy

Old 09-07-2005, 12:30 PM
BD 997 is infamous around these parts
u got any pics of the fox??

Old 09-07-2005, 02:24 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
You probly just need some new plastic inserts. The bumper doesn't look scratched even - thanks to clear bra.

The inserts are probly not very expensive. Call around different dealers (sunset, suncoast, carlsen, stevens creek) to price out what you need. You may even be able to expoxy the old one back on without taking the bumper off. If the bumper does need to come off, clean out the side radiator. Leaves get trapped in there easily.

Old 09-07-2005, 10:35 PM
Banned
vincenzina is a splendid one to beholdvincenzina is a splendid one to beholdvincenzina is a splendid one to beholdvincenzina is a splendid one to beholdvincenzina is a splendid one to beholdvincenzina is a splendid one to beholdvincenzina is a splendid one to behold
Well that sucks Synergy. After I see the TV for the last week in New Orleans with all those poor animals suffering, now I read about you running a fox down on accident. I am sooo sorry for your car, its a pain to fix, I feel for yeah.. I am sorry for POOR Mr Fox too. Goodluck.

Old 09-08-2005, 12:00 AM
Thanks for all the kind feedback - I am sad for the fox too. My wife and mother-in-law gave me plenty of grief as well since I may have been exceeding the speed limit when the incident ocurred.

I will go see Carlsen on Friday where I bought the car and see what they have to say for replacement costs. I am hopeful that they can order the parts and I will be in luck. I won't miss the 9/10 Bay Area meet with or without the grill!

Old 09-08-2005, 09:51 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Glad you're ok buddy... sorry to hear about that mishap!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wholly BEEP - I hit a fox tonight!