997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

tpms question.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 02:29 AM
Cali_997 is infamous around these parts
tpms question.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but how do I know if I have TMPS on my 2006 Porsche Carrera. I have the optional 19'inch lobster claws and the valve stem is black rubber. Much obliged.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:40 AM
MrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud of
All 997's have TPMS if you do not order the sensors it is not turned on. You can buy the sensors and have your dealer or anyone with the Porsche tool go in and turn it on.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:20 AM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MrPrice
All 997's have TPMS if you do not order the sensors it is not turned on. You can buy the sensors and have your dealer or anyone with the Porsche tool go in and turn it on.
I believe they were an option in 2005 and 2006 and became standard in 2007.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:06 AM
Luckymba is infamous around these parts
With a black rubber stem I would say you do not have them. The stems are metal on TPMS. I do not have them on my 2005 and am thankful - expensive to replace.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:33 AM
killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !
im thankful i have them on my car since i dont have to measure my tire pressure each week and they're not expensive. i paid $140 for all 4 from oe wheels.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by killacam
im thankful i have them on my car since i dont have to measure my tire pressure each week and they're not expensive. i paid $140 for all 4 from oe wheels.
That's not bad. I've seen here and elsewhere of costs around $1000 to $1500. Those were the $ I was referring to. $140 is worth it IMHO. $1500 is not.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:42 AM
MrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud of
Your car has it but a Porsche dealer (or someone with the reader) needs to go in and turn it on. My car is a 06 and I had mine turned on years ago.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:42 AM
I may be wrong here but I think we are talking about 2 things. To say it a different way it sounds like all 997s are TPMS ready. From what I've read TPMS sensors have a metal stem. The OP says he has a rubber stem which leads me to believe he does not have the sensors on his car. So turning it on won't solve the problem without the sensors installed. Someone chime in if this is bad info.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:57 AM
Originally Posted by Luckymba
I may be wrong here but I think we are talking about 2 things. To say it a different way it sounds like all 997s are TPMS ready. From what I've read TPMS sensors have a metal stem. The OP says he has a rubber stem which leads me to believe he does not have the sensors on his car. So turning it on won't solve the problem without the sensors installed. Someone chime in if this is bad info.

That might be what OP means, though all 997's are TPMS ready but the system is not turned on. You can turn it on a buy the sensors which is what happened in my case.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:12 AM
myw
myw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to behold
even 05 911s??? if someone can confirm this i will likely get a set of tpms sensors install them upon the next tire rotation. from there straight to the stealership i go

Originally Posted by MrPrice
That might be what OP means, though all 997's are TPMS ready but the system is not turned on.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:20 AM
Not sure but it looks that way. Here is the site killacam referenced. All 4 for a 2005 for $140.

http://www.oewheelsllc.com/TPMS-Sens...T#.UxdOT_ldW4J

Old 03-05-2014, 02:38 PM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
Durametric enthusiast can turn this on or does it need the pro version or maybe activate via sports chrono on the newer models? Hmmm this is a new one and does sound interesting

Old 03-06-2014, 03:37 AM
The Pro version was used to turn mine on but you can try the other version. Just another one of those little known facts. Most Porsche dealers will tell you about it as they try and sell you their overpriced monitors.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:59 AM
Phil_D is infamous around these partsPhil_D is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by myw
even 05 911s??? if someone can confirm this i will likely get a set of tpms sensors install them upon the next tire rotation. from there straight to the stealership i go
No, not all 997s have TPMS waiting to be activated. The TPMS control module ($266.00) and four receivers ($175.00 each) plus mounting hardware is required and is not installed unless the vehicle was optioned with TPMS. Turning on TPMS will do nothing more than throw a TPC Indicator Failure message unless you have the sensors, module, and receivers.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:37 PM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
Hey phil welcome to 6speed bro.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: tpms question.