997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Bad engine at 82k...now what do I do???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 11:07 AM
barncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the rough
doubt if Porsche will do anything,,myself id be looking for a used engine

Old 03-13-2014, 11:26 AM
blakecam is infamous around these partsblakecam is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mattyf
I've seen them for much less than 12k. Here's one for 8.5k w/31k miles
http://m.ebay.com/itm/271403290636
I would seriously consider this option. Make an offer to see if you can buy it for less. Have it installed and then try to sell the car to cut your losses. Best of luck.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:39 AM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
See update posts.

Last edited by gloves; 04-09-2014 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:48 AM
dale gordon is infamous around these parts
Not apples to apples, but I did a cheap fix on a spun bearing on a VW Scirocco. Replaced just that one bearing, ran some emery paper around the crankshaft and drove it for many more years. Dale

Old 03-13-2014, 12:06 PM
Bruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of light
FWIW, DC Automotive offered me 3K for my dead-engine 2000 Boxster S. They are a Porsche salvage company in NC. That includes pickup. Then another Porsche guy offered me $3,300 for it so I did sell it to him. He turned the car into a track rat.

He found a used engine (2000 S) for $??? and got the car going fine. At this point, there was no reason to turn the car into a track car as I had kept the car immaculately fresh. But, he wanted a track car and the car and new/old engine is doing very fine.

I almost....almost had Jake Raby rebuild my blown 2000S engine. For about $23K, about the same for a new Porsche crated engine, he would upgrade all the failure modes and give me a bunch more horse power. I didn't do it... the biggest reason is he needed the car for about 6 months. He was that backed up with blown engine repairs. I know folks say this is all fear mongering, but if you dig down and talk to people like Jake or the scavengers at DC Automotive... well you have a different perspective.

I hope this helps...

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Old 03-13-2014, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by gloves
Even wondering if I could fix it well enough for a trade in and hope the dealership doesnt notice (yes I know this is not ethical)...
Man, I hope you don't opt for this. That would suck if you knowingly passed your problem onto a future innocent Porsche owner. Please don't do it, especially after taking this to a public forum.

I'm sure there is someone that would buy the car from you at a discount if you advertise it here and in the Rennlist and Pelican forums. Even though you would take a financial hit, it would be the right thing to do.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:38 PM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
See update posts.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:47 PM
Try to refinance or get a loan and replace with a good used engine. If it's done right, you should be able to sell it and recover most of your money.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:49 PM
See update posts.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:07 PM
HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !
Saw an advertisement in Excellence magazine - May '14 issue - for rebuilt
long block engines from Vertex Auto.

No affiliation. Here's their website:

http://www.vertexauto.com/

Old 03-13-2014, 01:14 PM
UPDATE: So I have tossed a lot of ideas out here, some of them good…some of them terrible. So it appears as though my best option is to replace the motor with a swap.

The BIG question…What would you pay for a car with a swapped clean motor? As it stands KBB says trade in on my car with 82k on the clock to a dealer would be $31k. Now I find it hard to believe so I would think more like $25k. Private party says $34k, so more like $29k.

But does that change if the motor is basically new and clean? Could I expect to sell it private party for $35???

It would be amazing to get out of this with some money in my pocket. As it stands, if none of this had happened, I would have had about $15k profit with a sale. Now, I am looking at zero profit. But that is better than 15k in the hole!

Last edited by gloves; 03-13-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:06 PM
Robocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really nice
You should get more money if you have a new rebuilt engine. Good luck!

Old 03-13-2014, 02:19 PM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by P997S
id call corporate first and try to get it good willed...my mom got $4k repair to her lexus good willed and ive heard of porsche good willing

worth a try especially if you bought it new and have service records
yup I would have the car towed to the Dealer.

and if it was purchased from Dealer and Serviced there as well, they should be able to help you.

and if that does not work, threaten law suit.

I mean think about it. 100K plus car fails at 88k? that's if it was maintained properly.

Contact Porsche Corporate and take it from there

Last edited by Zookie; 03-13-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:56 PM
Go_Green3.8 is infamous around these parts
Oh man you have me terrified I just hit 70k and it's my DD. Owe quite a bit more too!

Old 03-13-2014, 04:16 PM
myw
myw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to behold
did you buy from the dealer and how long ago did warranty/extended warranty run out?

Originally Posted by barncobob
doubt if Porsche will do anything,,myself id be looking for a used engine

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bad engine at 82k...now what do I do???