997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Bad engine at 82k...now what do I do???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 02:22 PM
bzimpfer is infamous around these parts
Presuming you're open to opinions...

Seems you've confirmed your options (the legal ones anyway).

Not sure there's much of choice there. You can take the hit now or double down and hope you don't lose more.

But the loss is real, it just hasn't been realized...

If you rebuild and sell you have much more $$ at risk - so why bother? Spending $15k to rebuild on the hope that it brings you a few thousand closer to whole is a bad bet in my opinion. Way too many things can go wrong. More $$ for rebuild - something else goes wrong in the meantime, or right after you sell etc.

If I'm in the market for a 2005, why would I buy yours (if fixed) over dozens of others that are potentially newer, with lower miles, no engine rebuild etc.? Sounds good in theory but you'll have a very limited group of potential buyers I think. Very risky.

I realize you're upside down, and need $xx.xx to break even, but that has zero bearing on what the car will bring - and indeed will probably delay the sale (fixed or not) because you'll be looking for a $$ not based on value but your personal finances.

Sell for the max you can, lick your wounds and move on to something you're even money with under warranty.

No offense intended here - been through this before and it rarely works out when you double down. Set yourself free =)

Old 04-09-2014, 03:05 PM
myw
myw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to behold
+1. lesson learned stop the bleeding and move on.

i'm sure all of us here have had some sort of painful le$$on somewhere that makes us smarter later.

good luck with everything.

Originally Posted by bzimpfer
Set yourself free =)

Old 04-10-2014, 02:53 PM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
FINAL UPDATE: So I sold the car. I took a lose on it, but the buyer gave me a good deal. One that I can live with.

Thanks for all the assistance, those of you who made useful replies to this thread. No more P-car for me. I'll be back. And next time...with an extended warranty!!!

Old 04-10-2014, 03:02 PM
Phil_D is infamous around these partsPhil_D is infamous around these parts
Glad to hear you got a good deal, hope you didn't take too much of a bath on it.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:38 PM
Bahnburner is just really niceBahnburner is just really niceBahnburner is just really niceBahnburner is just really niceBahnburner is just really nice
Originally Posted by gloves
FINAL UPDATE: So I sold the car. I took a lose on it, but the buyer gave me a good deal. One that I can live with.

Thanks for all the assistance, those of you who made useful replies to this thread. No more P-car for me. I'll be back. And next time...with an extended warranty!!!
996 Turbo!

Old 04-11-2014, 12:49 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Sorry to see you go. Best of luck! Looking forward to seeing you back soon.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:49 AM
Sneaky Pete has a spectacular aura aboutSneaky Pete has a spectacular aura about
Well holy thread resurrection Batman....

Hi all....I'm the new owner of this car. After doing a VIN search on Google, threads from 6speed popped up so I thought this thread would be the place to provide an update. I can assure you this baby will run again!

I'm not a newb and have had a few pcars. Spend most of my time over on Rennlist. I've also been a past customer of Jake Raby and Flat6 with my 996. They are a good crew!

The current plan is the car is having a big bore 4.0 Track Performer Stage 2 motor transplanted into it. It will have the IMS Solution inStalked as well. The car will be ready for me in March 2015. I have a 3rd radiator, oem Aerokit (from Suncoast) and a set of Carerra II Sport wheels sitting in my garage waiting for the car. I'll see how the suspension is when I get it....that may need some updating. This will be my DD and weekend tracker.

Anywho....I'm kinda giddy!

Pete

Old 10-30-2014, 10:02 AM
Sneaky Pete has a spectacular aura aboutSneaky Pete has a spectacular aura about
IMS Solution installed........

Dang spellcheck

Old 10-30-2014, 12:03 PM
3POINT8 is infamous around these parts
keep us posted!

Old 10-30-2014, 06:20 PM
too tall is infamous around these parts
That sounds like a blast. Well done. For both of you.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:48 PM
myw
myw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to behold
awesome. looking forward to teh re-incarnation.

Old 10-31-2014, 04:01 PM
Thanks....the roller was offered to me after I said I wanted more cowbell. The price was right and I decided to move ahead. I also have a GT3 throttle body for it and still need the mating IPD 82mm plenum. She is going to be a screamer.

Old 10-31-2014, 05:32 PM
Perk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats Pete! I think it's awesome that this car is going to be better than ever!

Old 11-17-2014, 06:28 PM
Well the parts hoarding has begun. New wheels and an Aerokit!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2797070626.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	408.4 KB
ID:	407873   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3193021113.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	401.1 KB
ID:	407874  
Old 01-01-2015, 06:29 PM
Well the March delivery is just around the corner and I'm still sourcing add ons. I worked a little trade with Darin Fister.....I sent my old 3.4 cans from my old 996 for his Sport mufflers for the 997. Maxspeed had a good black Friday sale so I bought a pair of 200 cell cats. Another vender here "Emmanuel Designs" had a nice deal on the 82 mm IPD competition plenum that I needed for my GT3 throttle body. And a few weeks ago a fellow 6Speeder had some X51 headers for sale. All parts are being sent to Flat6. Even though March is around the corner it feels like a world away!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bad engine at 82k...now what do I do???