997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

LED option for 3rd brake-light?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2014 | 09:08 AM
|
PSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
LED option for 3rd brake-light?

Does anyone know if there is an LED version available for the third brake-light and/or for the rear deck spoiler brake-light? (It would be nice to match with the LED tail lights that are available).

Old 03-14-2014 | 09:57 AM
rep1000 is infamous around these parts
LED 3rd Tail Light

I believe it is an LED from the factory. I have an 06 997 C2S, installed LED tail lights and wanted to do the same for the 3rd tail light. When I looked at my stock one while I had someone depress the brake, I saw it was LED from the factory. Check yours out. Hopefully it is as well.

Old 03-14-2014 | 10:06 AM
|
PSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
Really? I'll double check, but how would you know that the light elements are LEDs and not just a row of incandescent bulbs?

Old 03-14-2014 | 10:38 AM
Phil_D is infamous around these partsPhil_D is infamous around these parts
I thought it was LED also. If it isn't I don't see that it matters that much as it looks like a LED anyway.

Old 03-14-2014 | 11:43 AM
|
Originally Posted by Phil_D
I thought it was LED also. If it isn't I don't see that it matters that much as it looks like a LED anyway.
Thanks for checking.

Actually, I was thinking of the speed at which it illuminates. I have noticed that LED brake-lights light up at full intensity immediately, whereas incandescent brake-lights start off dim and then brighten. LEDs are also supposed to be brighter.

Old 03-14-2014 | 12:07 PM
Phil_D is infamous around these partsPhil_D is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PSPorsche
I have noticed that LED brake-lights light up at full intensity immediately, whereas incandescent brake-lights start off dim and then brighten.
Correct, however I cannot tell any difference between the start up time on the 3rd brake light and the aftermarket LED lights.

LEDs are also supposed to be brighter.
Whole bunch of variables there, quality of LEDs (all aftermarket LED lights use low quality cheap LEDs), current draw, reflector design, etc, etc.

There are many benefits of LEDs over incandescent bulbs, but seeing as the biggest factor here is having them matching, which they pretty much do already, then I don't see many benefits of switching them to LEDs.

Not to mention, no one has confirmed if the factory ones are LED are incandescent anyway.