997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Part number for spoiler brake light clips?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 09:24 AM
NikosF is infamous around these parts
Part number for spoiler brake light clips?

I have lost the clips that attach my extra 3rd brake light to the spoiler.

My dealer sold me the wrong clips (99763120300) that attach the main 3rd light, but not the spoiler one.

My parts manual also doesn't show the clips.

The part number of the light itself is : 997 631 05 01. "additional stoplamp in spoiler"

The parts manual has a note: "see technical information GR.9 NR. 8/04"

I really don't want to spend $100 for a new light, when all I'm missing is two simple clips.

Thanks for any help or leads.
Nick

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	brake_light_Parts_Book.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	361631  
Old 10-09-2014, 07:16 AM
StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !
Hi NikiSF,
It seems I've run into the same problem you had earlier this year (yes my car is not a Turbo, but I am trying to fix up a Turbo deck lid). Did you ever find the correct clip for the Turbo's in-spoiler brake light? I can't find anything on the parts diagrams either and dealer doesn't know. If you didn't find the right one, what did you decide to do as a work around?
Thank you for any information you can share.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by StormRune
Hi NikiSF,
It seems I've run into the same problem you had earlier this year (yes my car is not a Turbo, but I am trying to fix up a Turbo deck lid). Did you ever find the correct clip for the Turbo's in-spoiler brake light? I can't find anything on the parts diagrams either and dealer doesn't know. If you didn't find the right one, what did you decide to do as a work around?
Thank you for any information you can share.
StormRune - unfortunately no luck yet on finding the correct clip.

I went to the dealer - the guy on the parts desk was useless, so I wandered onto the shop floor and spoke to a wrench. He called up the technical bulletins on my model year and decided that the only solution was for me to use double-sided tape and wedge the light in.

It doesn't strike me as a satisfactory answer and right now the light is still out of my car. I try to limit my time over 75mph so the light isn't activated (it throws an error message when the spoiler deploys saying the light isn't working).

Old 10-09-2014, 09:07 AM
StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !
Thanks for the quick response! I'm surprised you are getting the code thrown. Isn't it plugged in?

Take a look at the photos below I've scavenged off the web. These photos are from a couple of vender sights and show the spring-load clips loaded on each end of the light as it comes OEM (part 997.631.051.01).

However, I ordered that exact part and it came in yesterday. Surprise! No clips, just the body of the light. I'm going back over to the dealer today to see what the deal is with that. I'll let you know what I find out.

If anyone else has experience with this that they'd like to share I'd certainly appreciate it.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the quick response! I'm surprised you are getting the code thrown. Isn't it plugged in?

Take a look at the photos below I've scavenged off the web. These photos are from a couple of vender sights and show the spring-load clips loaded on each end of the light as it comes OEM (part 997.631.051.01).

However, I ordered that exact part and it came in yesterday. Surprise! No clips, just the body of the light. I'm going back over to the dealer today to see what the deal is with that. I'll let you know what I find out.
Yeah - that's the run-around I got as well. Good to confirm that U-997-631-051-01 definitely doesn't come with the clips - my dealer wasn't sure and I would have had to pay up front for it for him to order it in.

Once I lost one clip, my light would flop around at speed if the spoiler deployed, so I disconnected it to save my paintwork - which is why my code gets triggered. I may resort to the double sided tape and wedge approach.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:26 PM
Banned
semicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond repute
These clips are an integral part of the assembly. You cannot buy them separately from Porsche. There are three part numbers for the assembly:

U 997 631 051 01 - confirmed does not have the spring clips
U 997 631 051 02 - unknown
997 631 051 03 - confirmed has the spring clips, I just checked mine

The "U" prefix means "Deleted without replacement". Basically Porsche changed the design, likely adding spring clips to the .03 version

I have the whole assembly with the clips in my basement I'd sell for much less than the $100 new. It was removed when I had a techart rear fixed wing installed. PM if you are interested.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:35 PM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
^ That is correct, and all those Part numbers now SS to the new part number of 99763105104.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by semicycler
These clips are an integral part of the assembly. You cannot buy them separately from Porsche. There are three part numbers for the assembly:

U 997 631 051 01 - confirmed does not have the spring clips
U 997 631 051 02 - unknown
997 631 051 03 - confirmed has the spring clips, I just checked mine

The "U" prefix means "Deleted without replacement". Basically Porsche changed the design, likely adding spring clips to the .03 version

I have the whole assembly with the clips in my basement I'd sell for much less than the $100 new. It was removed when I had a techart rear fixed wing installed. PM if you are interested.
Originally Posted by ECS Tuning - Porsche
^ That is correct, and all those Part numbers now SS to the new part number of 99763105104.
Hey that's wonderful... thanks to both of you! My dealer ordered another of the 01 version for me again today thinking that someone had taken the clips of the original one. I'll contact them first thing in the morning and try to stop the order.

Since Niko was the OP on the thread and has been looking longer, I'll give him the first shot at semicycler's offer to sell his. If not interested, I'd like to ask for dibs after that. I'll wait a little and see how that goes. My backup plan will be to grab the one sold by ECS as a thanks for helping clarify this.

Last edited by StormRune; 10-09-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:14 PM
Banned
semicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond repute
Already sold to Nick. Ships in the morning.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by semicycler
Already sold to Nick. Ships in the morning.
Excellent! That's good. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:16 PM
Since Niko was the OP on the thread and has been looking longer, I'll give him the first shot at semicycler's offer to sell his.
Thanks - that's decent of you!

Old 10-17-2014, 09:55 PM
Fits like a glove!

Thanks - great to not throw a code at >75 mph (not that I ever travel at that speed of course)

Old 10-18-2014, 07:06 AM
Very nice! Glad to hear that you and semicycler worked out something mutually beneficial.

BTW, my dealer order another one for me but this time used part number 997.631.052.01. That one did come with clips. Interestingly, it is a different part number than semicycler or ECS provided.

If the look at the attached photo, you can see that the base plastic back has a few other part number possibilities too, including the one ending in 04 that ECS provided. The number I gave above is the one checked and is exactly what I needed for the Turbo wing. I have no idea what the differences in them are.