997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Iphone nav apps, is there a way to make it show up in the nav screen

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 04:26 PM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
Iphone nav apps, is there a way to make it show up in the nav screen

Ok im sure if someone finds out how this is done it will be great for all. The iphone now has navigation apps tht beat all those garmins, tomtoms, and in radio navs. We have pcm's that always have the nav button. I was wondering if there was a way to feed the iphone nav screen to show when the nav button on our dash is activated. I think that would be very cool and since the pcm 3 is touch screen, also be manouvered using the touch screen.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:58 AM
kos_007 is infamous around these parts
I have been asking myself the same question and the best solution I came with is the new Pioneer HU with Apple CarPlay and aftermarket integration kit from Suncoast.
Here is a quote from crutchfield.com:
According to our friends at Pioneer, "the AVIC-8000NEX will be one of the first aftermarket radios to feature Apple CarPlay (firmware update required, coming early summer 2014). CarPlay is the smarter, safer, and more fun way to use your iPhone in the car. CarPlay gives iPhone users an incredibly intuitive way to make calls, use Maps, listen to music and access messages with just a word or a touch." Learn more at www.apple.com/ios/carplay

Old 05-20-2014, 02:24 PM
lazyseoul is infamous around these parts
I have the NEX 8000 in my car and it is amazing. However, it is not a cheap option.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:37 PM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
We are getting somewhere here. The pioneer is an option though not an inexpensive one..maybe someone has found a cheaper alternative.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:48 PM
Running thorugh the features of the pioneer and this is one great unit. At $1000 it could be a great option....except that we will still need a way to seemlessly integrate with the bose system.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:57 PM
kos_007 is infamous around these parts
This is what you need from Suncoast:
Additonal options for cars with BOSE:
- $795. Optional BOSE integration kit - If you would like to add a new radio, but keep your BOSE sound system, this kit is the answer. Adds a few more pieces and control units to allow for a seamless integration of your new radio and the orignal BOSE amplifier.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:30 PM
SecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant future
I think NavTV has a kit that lets you pipe aux video into PCM screen.. But it would be video display only, you'd still interact with it by touching the iPhone screen.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:00 PM
Iv heard of the nav tv thing but like i said hideously expensive. For $800 i would rather buy a new amp and speakers like the focals of conrad and change the whole system of course plus the $1200 head unit.
Well the thread was hoping for a way to get into the pcm nav menu and use an rca video in tapped into the unit and connected via light ing cable to the iphone and use an app to mirror the iphone screen. I now iv read this somewhere just cant remember

Old 05-20-2014, 05:07 PM
krysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant future
I purchased this (7 inch) JVC unit. It uses mirror link, its great.
The best thing is that it does not use your phone data when using navi using apps such as Sygic.
Its only around $500
http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/car/mirrorlink/

Old 05-20-2014, 05:30 PM
farfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond repute
Iphone

Apple store sells a cable for $50 that will mirror anything on your iPhone.
It plugs into a HDMI,made for TVs but works on my Kenwood.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0642.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	376867  
Old 05-20-2014, 07:25 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
With turn-by-turn audio, why do you want/need the map? There's no need as all you have to do is listen. I accomplished that with a $64.99 FM modulator that plugs into the phone, charges the phone and gives the audio directions through the speaker system. No need to touch or look at anything.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:50 AM
Farfel, it works on your kenwood, do you know how it will work on the pcm? The kenwood is an option, for android and the pioneer and alpine for apple products. But the best still is to "mirror lonk to the pcm.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:03 AM
lazyseoul is infamous around these parts
I'm pretty sure you can't mirror your iphone with RCA cables since it can't send a digital signal. You NEED to use an HDMI cable for mirror link.

If you get a Pioneer head unit, you can use the AppRadio function.

Since the stock PCM doesn't have an HDMI output (at least mine didn't), I don't think you will find a solution to your question.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:42 AM
SecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant future
Don't expect PCM to ever work fully with MirrorLink or CarPlay. Both are complex protocols that require the client device to send data out, it's not nearly as simple as hacking in a video feed or even Bluetooth/ipod.