997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

I Love my 997 but I want a 991, But I Like 997 More..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 03:14 PM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Luciddaydream
Why do you guys recommend the GTS specifically? I have a friend who owns a porsche shop and also recommended it.

Is it because the HP is the same as a 991, and its still a light little 997?

Also, are these commonly in PDK?

I saw one online for sale.. but it was in PDK
With GTS, you get the wide body of a C4S, but without the added weight and complexity of all wheel drive. If you want all wheel drive, then you can get a "4'" version of the GTS. The GTS also has the X51 power kit engine with 408 HP, which is actually 8 more than a 991 S. You also get a Sport Design steering wheel, nicer front bumper/air dam, alcantara interior (if you like it, if not you can find some like mine with optional leather interior). Most have forged, center lock wheels which also make the GTS more unique. Some people don't like the center lock wheels because they are more difficult to remove and install, but if you don't track the car and change wheels frequently, they are really not an issue. I have had my GTS for three years and never had any issue with the center lock wheels. Some people will tell you they require additional maintenance, but that is only if you track your car. There are also several other added features of the GTS, but I think I covered the most important ones.

I have a GTS, so I am biased to them, but most people will say the GTS is the best 997 Carrera made. They are available in PDK and 6 speed manual. I have the manual. I do not know how many were made with manual vs PDK, but most I have seen are manuals.

Last edited by GS997S; 05-31-2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:43 PM
sandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by GS997S
With GTS, you get the wide body of a C4S, but without the added weight and complexity of all wheel drive. If you want all wheel drive, then you can get a "4'" version of the GTS. The GTS also has the X51 power kit engine with 408 HP, which is actually 8 more than a 991 S. You also get a Sport Design steering wheel, nicer front bumper/air dam, alcantara interior (if you like it, if not you can find some like mine with optional leather interior). Most have forged, center lock wheels which also make the GTS more unique. Some people don't like the center lock wheels because they are more difficult to remove and install, but if you don't track the car and change wheels frequently, they are really not an issue. I have had my GTS for three years and never had any issue with the center lock wheels. Some people will tell you they require additional maintenance, but that is only if you track your car. There are also several other added features of the GTS, but I think I covered the most important ones.

I have a GTS, so I am biased to them, but most people will say the GTS is the best 997 Carrera made. They are available in PDK and 6 speed manual. I have the manual. I do not know how many were made with manual vs PDK, but most I have seen are manuals.
I second all that but must add that it also has the little GT2 side skirts. Subtle but pretty cool.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:38 PM
blakecam is infamous around these partsblakecam is infamous around these parts
Another vote for a 997.2 GTS from a biased GTS owner. However, I decided to go 997 GTS after driving a 991S. The GTS is much more of a driver's car with more of a classic 911 look. When I was shopping a few months ago, I had a hard time finding a manual. There were many more PDKs which I absolutely did not want. Not sure if there are more PDKs or manuals, but availability probably fluctuates from time to time as there are not that many for sale at any one time.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:26 PM
Ray S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura about
There is another option which hasn't been pointed out yet.........Turbo!

Go with a 997 Turbo and you get more power than the 991 (gobs of low end torque) and the 997 driving experience you prefer.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:20 PM
niki66 is infamous around these parts
I am staying with my 997.2. Too much money for a 991 for not much difference.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:49 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
The 991S is quicker than a 997 GT3 around Nurburgring, which says quite a lot. I had two 997S models ('08 and '09). Great motor, great feel at speed, iconic looks. Grip at both ends was challenging. If you're serious about a 997 over a 991, I'd opt for the 4S, GTS4, GT3, or Turbo. I have yet to drive a 991, but I'm sure I'd like it best, especially if you opt for PDK. The 997 PDK is slow to shift unless you're in Sport Plus at high rpms. The new PDK in the 981/991 is world's better.

Last edited by Steve997S; 06-02-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:17 AM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
Just to clarify brothers, drove both 997.2 and 991 on road and track. Yes there are pdk improvements but not really that drastic over a 997.2 software upgraded pdk. Seriously that pdk upgrade for the 997.2 is wonderful. Brought the 997.2 pdk to 991 levels of smoothness and quickness

Old 06-03-2014, 10:44 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by niki66
I am staying with my 997.2. Too much money for a 991 for not much difference.
I've driven the 991 many times, it's nice but not nice enough for me to trade it in. I don't think anyone will regret owning a 997 or 991.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:04 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by slicky rick
Just to clarify brothers, drove both 997.2 and 991 on road and track. Yes there are pdk improvements but not really that drastic over a 997.2 software upgraded pdk. Seriously that pdk upgrade for the 997.2 is wonderful. Brought the 997.2 pdk to 991 levels of smoothness and quickness
What upgrade? Dealer said there are no software updates for pdk. Do you know of a service bulletin? Does anyone? They just claim I should wait for it to adapt, which I think it does in 5 miles.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:45 PM
GMAC03 is infamous around these partsGMAC03 is infamous around these parts
I traded my 2012 991S PDK for 2011 997S PDK

IMO the 991 PDK is faster and overall car is faster. It is a smooth fantastic car, much larger footprint in the garage.

After 2 months with the 997, I honestly think it's more fun,as I feel more connected to the road. I need to do a few mods ie exhaust to get a more robust sound.

All things considered spend time driving as many as you can, there is no wrong choice

Old 06-03-2014, 03:03 PM
kcheves is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ryem3
What upgrade? Dealer said there are no software updates for pdk. Do you know of a service bulletin? Does anyone? They just claim I should wait for it to adapt, which I think it does in 5 miles.
PDK software was incrementally improved from 997.2 to 991. The updated software is not available for 997.2 cars.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:23 PM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
Hi conrad, our 997.2's have pdk software updates that are available but not usually done by the dealerships. Maybe it cost money. These upgrades are done on the car when a pdk unit is changed or otherwise has a defect. From what i saw the software in our cars have part numbers. The piwis checks these part nubmers to see if upgrades have been done or can be done. Apart from the pdk upgrade, a dme adaptation, torque adaptation is also done in order to mend all the software together. This upgrade, IMO, made the most change in my car since i got it new on 2010.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:24 PM
There is a separate post regarding this and has detailed discussions. Dint want ti hijack this thread

Old 06-03-2014, 05:28 PM
mdking1231 is a jewel in the roughmdking1231 is a jewel in the roughmdking1231 is a jewel in the roughmdking1231 is a jewel in the rough
I went through the same issue. Kept test driving the 991, but found myself grinning ear to ear once I was back in my 997. It just seemed to "fit" me and my driving style better, so more enjoyable. I had a 2005 base Carrera, but went to a 997 GTS. The 991 felt a bit too much like driving a computer versus a mechanical car - perhaps too smooth. The S model was interesting, but I'm tall and my knee never did like the raised console. I didn't like all the electronics, like steering and parking brake. I might have been interested in a GT3, but not with PDK.

I've been pleased with the GTS and my choice. I still look longingly at the 991; it's a beautiful car. But it didn't "grab me" behind the wheel the way the GTS does. Maybe that will change with the next generation. I fear though that a more driver oriented version is less likely than seeing Google partnering with Porsche to build a self driving 911, with no pedals or steering wheel, and it'll be the fastest 911 around Nurburgring yet. And I know I won't want one.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:21 PM
sandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by slicky rick
These upgrades are done on the car when a pdk unit is changed or otherwise has a defect. From what i saw the software in our cars have part numbers. The piwis checks these part nubmers to see if upgrades have been done or can be done. Apart from the pdk upgrade, a dme adaptation, torque adaptation is also done in order to mend all the software together. This upgrade, IMO, made the most change in my car since i got it new on 2010.
The entire PDK unit on my -09 C4S was replaced under warranty. Big difference compared to the original but not for the better imo. The old one snapped through the gears in sport plus manual with a nice little pop from the exhaust. Loved it. The new version was much smoother and sort of rolled it over from one gear to the next even in sport plus. Is that what people consider an "upgrade" and an improvement? I told my service advisor I didn't like the new version at all and he said there's nothing that can be done. "That's how the new units are calibrated". Incidentally, the -11 GTS PDK feels very much like the original -09 did so the softie versions must not have been introduced until sometime 2012.

Last edited by sandwedge; 06-03-2014 at 09:25 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I Love my 997 but I want a 991, But I Like 997 More..