997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997S exhaust soot

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 05:53 PM
hilsman is infamous around these parts
997S exhaust soot

Hi

This is a plea for data....several people on other 997 forums have commented that soot depositsare greater on driver's side exhaust in 997S's as opposed to passenger's side....I noticed this today and at least 3 or 4 other owners have noticed this and commented on other boards.....

Have other owners noticed this....you may have to wipe the inside of the pipe once miles accumulate to tell if there is a difference.....

Please supply feedback as this is driving several of us **** retentive owners batty.....thanks in advance...Gray

Old 09-27-2005, 03:23 PM
6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about
what is soot???

Old 09-27-2005, 05:26 PM
soot is thr carbon (black) deposit on the inside of the tips...clearly several us have noticed more on the driver's side...you may have to look closely or wipe the inside with a towel to tell.....any feedback would be welcome...

Old 09-27-2005, 05:51 PM
Mike S is infamous around these partsMike S is infamous around these parts
mine is even on both sides...

Old 09-27-2005, 06:27 PM
Mike,

Do you have an S? How many miles? Any chance you could actually swipe the interior of the pipes...when I did that the driver's side was noticeably more sooty on a paper towel...thanksin advance for this rather odd request...gray

Old 09-28-2005, 09:13 AM
Doctor K is infamous around these parts
Hilsman,
How many miles on your car. What are your driving habits, generally speaking. In town @ low RPM..lugging the engine.
What brand of gas are you using. New Porsches will burn a little oil, as you know.
Doc

Old 09-28-2005, 10:32 AM
Root is a glorious beacon of lightRoot is a glorious beacon of lightRoot is a glorious beacon of lightRoot is a glorious beacon of lightRoot is a glorious beacon of light
I never noticed, but I do brush the pipes with steel wool whenever I detail the "Garage Queen". I'll pay attention and post what i see.

Old 09-28-2005, 11:14 AM
Doc,

I have 1500 miles however othersd that have noticed this have upwards of 16000 miles. My quandry is why is it only noticed to be darker on the driver's side.....so far the 5 cxars I know about are S's and only noted on driver's side exhaust.

Root,

Thanks, Gray

Old 10-06-2005, 10:13 PM
david.shoup is infamous around these parts
Hi Everyone;

I have a 997 S 16.5K miles on it and I have exactly the same problem I asked the dealer about it and they said that if a car ever gets to much oil that this can happen but it is nothing to worry about. However I'm using way more oil than I should be. Therefore some how I think I’m burning oil some how. I'll be going back to the dealer in a week or two.

Old 10-20-2005, 07:59 AM
Root is a glorious beacon of lightRoot is a glorious beacon of lightRoot is a glorious beacon of lightRoot is a glorious beacon of lightRoot is a glorious beacon of light
I have noticed that there is a soot deposit, but it appears to be even on the dual exhaust pipes on both sides of the car; maybe an inch or two wide on the bottom of the pipes. I have 3800 miles on the C2S and have added one quart of Mobil 1 at about 1500 miles. Wipes right off with the steel wool.

Old 11-14-2005, 06:40 PM
Hi Folks;

I had the problem with a lot of soot on one of my tail pipes but not the other. The dealer had to call P-tech to get assistants to finding the problem. They were advised to replace the oil separator. I have the car back now and need to put some more miles on it to see if this solved the problem.

Old 11-14-2005, 07:19 PM
2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold
Yes, I have finally logged 1100 miles on my '06 997S and there is definitely more soot on the driver's side tips. I have only burned a 1/2 quart of oil though.

Old 11-16-2005, 12:12 PM
911 C2S is infamous around these parts
FWIW, I have 9000 miles on my S. I have PSE, the outside tips have soot, but the insiders are clean.

However, there is an even amount of soot/carbon buildup on both sides.

Old 11-16-2005, 02:29 PM
2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by david.shoup
Hi Folks;

I had the problem with a lot of soot on one of my tail pipes but not the other. The dealer had to call P-tech to get assistants to finding the problem. They were advised to replace the oil separator. I have the car back now and need to put some more miles on it to see if this solved the problem.
I talked to my tech yesterday about the oil separator replacement and he said that it's a part that's related to the breather for ventilation for the crankcase so it would have no effect whatsoever on soot accumulating on one side or the other. He also said that he has not seen any issues or heard anything from Porsche about the problem.

Old 11-16-2005, 10:56 PM
Hi Folks;

As Robert said the oil separator had nothing to do with it. I burned through another quart of oil in 201 miles after I picked up the car. I have now returned it to the dealer and they said they think they are, “going to a tear down of the engine” but are waiting to hear back form Porsche Tech before they start.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997S exhaust soot