997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Passenger windows drops 1/2 way when convertible top is closed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 08:29 AM
lgroveman is infamous around these parts
Passenger windows drops 1/2 way when convertible top is closed

I purchased a 2012 Turbo S Cab new 2 1/2 years ago. From day 1 when I close the convertible top (after driving with the top down) all the windows close as they are supposed to except the passenger window closed completely then drops down 1/2 way. It doesn't always do this but I'd say at least 30-40% of the time it does this. Porsche has told me it was an adjustment and of course they would fix it. 2 1/2 years later it still is doing the same thing. They have elevated the problem to regional HQ here in the US. The roof has been resealed, the motor replaced, etc...

Does anybody else have this problem or have any idea on what is going on. If it wasn't happening from the day I bought his car 2 1/2 years ago it wouldn't be that big of an issue. But this is ridiculous already. Someone had mentioned that maybe the window should be replaced which hasn't happened yet. Maybe someone was asleep when they built my car. So far the PSAM has failed, ABS has failed. All electronic problems, nothing mechanical and these have all been fixed. Two of my friends have the same exact car built a couple of months earlier with not a single problem.

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions

Old 07-20-2014, 12:00 PM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
My 93 964 was basically a lemon, 2 inch notebook on issues, and Porsche eventually "swapped" cars with me. My issues ranged from cosmetic to mechanical and it took 3 years or so and 5 certified letters to dealership - owner/GM, sales manager, sales person, and PCNA - GM and area rep, but Porsche made good.

Keep detailed records, complain regularly, and get the dealer on your side.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:03 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by lgroveman
I purchased a 2012 Turbo S Cab new 2 1/2 years ago. From day 1 when I close the convertible top (after driving with the top down) all the windows close as they are supposed to except the passenger window closed completely then drops down 1/2 way. It doesn't always do this but I'd say at least 30-40% of the time it does this. Porsche has told me it was an adjustment and of course they would fix it. 2 1/2 years later it still is doing the same thing. They have elevated the problem to regional HQ here in the US. The roof has been resealed, the motor replaced, etc...

Does anybody else have this problem or have any idea on what is going on. If it wasn't happening from the day I bought his car 2 1/2 years ago it wouldn't be that big of an issue. But this is ridiculous already. Someone had mentioned that maybe the window should be replaced which hasn't happened yet. Maybe someone was asleep when they built my car. So far the PSAM has failed, ABS has failed. All electronic problems, nothing mechanical and these have all been fixed. Two of my friends have the same exact car built a couple of months earlier with not a single problem.

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions
Too late for you but for the benefit of others one should never let something like this drag out for 2 1/2 years…

Briefly, the window should drop when either the inside or outside handle is pulled. If the handle is released without pulling it out far enough to open the door the window should raise.

When the door is opened the window should stay down as now the door latch is signaling the door is open.

The window should only raise that fraction of an inch to fully closed when the door is closed.

That the window drops when the top is open is normal, of course.

And the windows should close again once the top is fully closed and latched.

That both windows raise up but only one window closes then drops again suggests to me the problem is with the door lock assembly.

As an aside here let me add that if there are two separate signal paths from the top latch to each door/window that the signal path from this latch to the door is suspect.

After having a door lock assembly replaced in my Boxster I can tell you this is a rather large box and rather complex arising from what all it has to deal with.

There is a control module -- I think it is the security module -- that can be with the proper Porsche diagnostics computer queried for any error codes and if any are present this can point to the possibly bad component.

Last but not least I have to offer the usual…

A window or door lock can act up from water in the door. A inner door membrane can leak and let water collect in the door and this will cause at first problems with the window and door lock but later electrical gremlins can appear at places more distant. That none have appeared suggests to me that water in the door is not the problem, but at this stage it probably won't hurt to open the door, expose its innards and confirm the door innards are free any sign of the presence of water, either now or in the past. At the same time the tech should check all the wiring and connectors looking for any loose or marginal connectors or damaged wiring.

In a similar vein water in the cabin can affect the car's security module which is AFIAK still located under IIRC the passenger seat on the floor right where any water in the cabin will almost certainly collect.

However, it is unlikely that if this behavior were from water in the cabin at the security model the symptoms would have remained the same and not gotten worse over the years. But with the door it might be worth the effort to remove the seat and expose this module and carefully check it for any signs of water damage and at the same time check all connections are good and as best one can tell all the wiring is ok too.

Generally, I recommend that one state that beuase of the issues one has lost all enjoyment from the car and given all the electrical/mechanical and electronic/mechanical complexity present in moderns cars one has serious concerns about his and that of his passengers' safety when using the car -- at this point can mention off hand about the serious issue Toyota had to deal with regarding unexplained acceleration -- and either the car is fixed to your satisfaction or you want something done about the car.

However, given you have lived with the car with this behavior for over 2 years, a protest of this nature would ring a bit hollow. But you can always try it. Feign a heightened sense of concern given all the recent news about car recalls for critical safety issues.

Remind the dealer that one major factor in your decision to buy a Porsche and one from this dealer was its highly touted service department. Factory trained techs and what have you. That this has dragged on for these several years now puts a lie to those claims and that you are starting to feel you may be a victim of consumer fraud, that dealer is misleading regarding its abilities to properly service and repair these vehicles.

if you run into any push back, mention that you are then forced to send a letter -- construct it beforehand and have a copy ready to show the GM -- to PCNA and the factory's home office about your experiences and at some point in the letter ask how Poorsche can let a dealer that can't deliver on what it promises be allowed to keep its Porsche accreditation.

Now I have to add that you have to be prepared to turn the car over and let it remain until you are sure the problem has been addressed to your satisfaction. This requires among other things that when you are called to pick up the car you arrive prepared to leave the car, that is to refuse to take it, if the behavior is still present. You can't accept the car again as this just tells the dealer you aren't that serious about getting this addressed.

And if you have to leave the car again, this is worth a letter to the dealer, PCNA, and the factory relating the inability of a dealer to sort this out.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:10 PM
RED HORSE is infamous around these parts
My '09 C2S Cab has done this from day one. It really doesn't bother me too much and I would rather live with it than have some technician start fooling with it. After 5 years I am of the opinion that it has to do with torque on the body, e.g. if the car isn't parked completely level on all four wheels my passenger side window gets almost all the way up and then it comes down half way. It goes up using the manual control without a problem. If I am parked where there is no torque on the body from uneven parking surface it rarely exhibits this problem. Since this is the only problem I've had in 50,000 miles I don't see it as a big issue.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:59 PM
Marshal_Mercer is infamous around these parts
Mine did this for a few days after two years of working properly, so I took it into the dealer. The dealer ran a diagnostic check. I believe that there were no codes. A few passes with silicone lube onto the offending window's raising/lowering mechanism did the trick. No problems since. Apparently, any resistance to closing is sensed as an obstruction, so the window goes half way back down to protect it and the obstructive object.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by Macster
Too late for you but for the benefit of others one should never let something like this drag out for 2 1/2 years…

Briefly, the window should drop when either the inside or outside handle is pulled. If the handle is released without pulling it out far enough to open the door the window should raise.

When the door is opened the window should stay down as now the door latch is signaling the door is open.

The window should only raise that fraction of an inch to fully closed when the door is closed.

That the window drops when the top is open is normal, of course.

And the windows should close again once the top is fully closed and latched.

That both windows raise up but only one window closes then drops again suggests to me the problem is with the door lock assembly.

As an aside here let me add that if there are two separate signal paths from the top latch to each door/window that the signal path from this latch to the door is suspect.

After having a door lock assembly replaced in my Boxster I can tell you this is a rather large box and rather complex arising from what all it has to deal with.

There is a control module -- I think it is the security module -- that can be with the proper Porsche diagnostics computer queried for any error codes and if any are present this can point to the possibly bad component.

Last but not least I have to offer the usual…

A window or door lock can act up from water in the door. A inner door membrane can leak and let water collect in the door and this will cause at first problems with the window and door lock but later electrical gremlins can appear at places more distant. That none have appeared suggests to me that water in the door is not the problem, but at this stage it probably won't hurt to open the door, expose its innards and confirm the door innards are free any sign of the presence of water, either now or in the past. At the same time the tech should check all the wiring and connectors looking for any loose or marginal connectors or damaged wiring.

In a similar vein water in the cabin can affect the car's security module which is AFIAK still located under IIRC the passenger seat on the floor right where any water in the cabin will almost certainly collect.

However, it is unlikely that if this behavior were from water in the cabin at the security model the symptoms would have remained the same and not gotten worse over the years. But with the door it might be worth the effort to remove the seat and expose this module and carefully check it for any signs of water damage and at the same time check all connections are good and as best one can tell all the wiring is ok too.

Generally, I recommend that one state that beuase of the issues one has lost all enjoyment from the car and given all the electrical/mechanical and electronic/mechanical complexity present in moderns cars one has serious concerns about his and that of his passengers' safety when using the car -- at this point can mention off hand about the serious issue Toyota had to deal with regarding unexplained acceleration -- and either the car is fixed to your satisfaction or you want something done about the car.

However, given you have lived with the car with this behavior for over 2 years, a protest of this nature would ring a bit hollow. But you can always try it. Feign a heightened sense of concern given all the recent news about car recalls for critical safety issues.

Remind the dealer that one major factor in your decision to buy a Porsche and one from this dealer was its highly touted service department. Factory trained techs and what have you. That this has dragged on for these several years now puts a lie to those claims and that you are starting to feel you may be a victim of consumer fraud, that dealer is misleading regarding its abilities to properly service and repair these vehicles.

if you run into any push back, mention that you are then forced to send a letter -- construct it beforehand and have a copy ready to show the GM -- to PCNA and the factory's home office about your experiences and at some point in the letter ask how Poorsche can let a dealer that can't deliver on what it promises be allowed to keep its Porsche accreditation.

Now I have to add that you have to be prepared to turn the car over and let it remain until you are sure the problem has been addressed to your satisfaction. This requires among other things that when you are called to pick up the car you arrive prepared to leave the car, that is to refuse to take it, if the behavior is still present. You can't accept the car again as this just tells the dealer you aren't that serious about getting this addressed.

And if you have to leave the car again, this is worth a letter to the dealer, PCNA, and the factory relating the inability of a dealer to sort this out.
Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to speak with the dealer about some of your specific suggestions regarding the exact issue and see their response.

Thanks again.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by RED HORSE
My '09 C2S Cab has done this from day one. It really doesn't bother me too much and I would rather live with it than have some technician start fooling with it. After 5 years I am of the opinion that it has to do with torque on the body, e.g. if the car isn't parked completely level on all four wheels my passenger side window gets almost all the way up and then it comes down half way. It goes up using the manual control without a problem. If I am parked where there is no torque on the body from uneven parking surface it rarely exhibits this problem. Since this is the only problem I've had in 50,000 miles I don't see it as a big issue.
This is exactly what my car has done from day 1 as I have mentioned. Is it a big issue... It really became an issue when I took the car out and didn't realize the window came back down and when I returned it was raining cats and dogs. That was my last straw. Because it is the passenger window I didn't notice it. Fortunately the rain had just started but after spending so much on this car and I am planning on keeping it for quite a while I really don't want to let this go any more. As for for torque on the body I don't think that is the issue in my case as it happens when I put the roof up when in the garage which is perfectly flat. So far the motor has been changed and the roof has been siliconed and sealed (not exactly sure what they put on the roof and seals but something to make sure it was not leaking by the rubber, seals, etc...)

Old 07-21-2014, 10:41 AM
Strycker is infamous around these parts
I have a CPO 2011 911S Cab that the passenger window is doing the same. I have a call into my dealer to have them take a look as well.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:25 PM
I spoke with the service mgr at my dealership. He said to roll the window all the way up, once reaches its closed position hold again and you should hear a "click" inside the door. Next roll the window all the way down, then hold again until click. Apparently this resets the window so it doesn't think there is an obstruction. Unfortunately this didn't work for me and I need to bring the car in. I'll let you know if it gets resolved.

max

Old 07-22-2014, 07:46 AM
Originally Posted by Strycker
I spoke with the service mgr at my dealership. He said to roll the window all the way up, once reaches its closed position hold again and you should hear a "click" inside the door. Next roll the window all the way down, then hold again until click. Apparently this resets the window so it doesn't think there is an obstruction. Unfortunately this didn't work for me and I need to bring the car in. I'll let you know if it gets resolved.

max
Thanks - The dealer and I tried this but no luck. Still waiting for the dealer to come back to me with an answer from PCNA

Old 07-22-2014, 08:25 AM
9114Scab is infamous around these parts
I have a 2012 911 4s cab and my passenger side window does that often also. I don't think it is a big deal.

I just had my car in the dealership , to add the sport chrono package, and I completely forgot to tell them about the window. I'll let know eventually.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:39 PM
I swung by the dealership today and of course the window acted normally... What he did notice is that the black material where the front window meets the rear was a little dried out (see pic below). He said that sometimes the little bit of resistance that this causes makes the "pinch protection" think something is there and causes it to go back down. They put some silicone lubricant on the black part in hopes that will fix it. Time will tell...

Old 07-24-2014, 09:36 AM
LBK
LBK is infamous around these parts
I have a 2009C4S Cab. I had exactly the same problem. Since I was still under warranty, I had the regulator in the door replaced. When they checked, it was an electrical problem.

If you are under warranty, you should have the same thing done. At first, they did exactly the same thing with the lubricant but it did not work.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:58 AM
P997S is infamous around these partsP997S is infamous around these parts
mine does this. I had the motor replaced under warranty. 6 months later its doing it again....

Old 12-02-2014, 07:38 AM
alirob is infamous around these partsalirob is infamous around these parts
I just noticed this discussion. Here are my late comments and possible warning. My 09 C2S Cabriolet has had the problem where the passenger side window does not drop a few inches when the door handle is pulled causing the window to "catch" on the rubber molding for a second. Recently while stopped at a traffic light with the windows closed, I heard a loud boom. I looked to the right and noticed the passenger side window had completely shattered into many tiny pieces. When I brought it to the glass repair shop, the tech asked if this "was one of those Porsches with he automatic window movers".
Is this window lowering problem the cause of the glass shatter? No pellets, bullets or other projectiles could be found inside the car. The Porsche dealer denied any possible link.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Passenger windows drops 1/2 way when convertible top is closed