997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Emergency power / jump start?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 02:16 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by simoncpw
Hi all,

Has anyone used this or something similar? Thinking of getting this for emergency. Like getting the frunk open when the battery is dead / disconnected (don't ask me why!!!)? or even jump starting the car?

http://www.thepowerall.com/product.html

Thanks
Problem is you now need to remember to keep THAT thing charged and in the car.. and I'd bet that unless you constantly hose your car battery you will only need this device when you discover that its been sitting for 4 years in your car and is itself gone flat.

If anything, why not a hand-cranked dynamo of old-school type that gets regulated to 12 volts? That never fails.

Amazon.com: American Educational DC Crank Generator, 6-1/2" Length x 2-1/2" Width x 4-1/2" Height: Industrial & Scientific Amazon.com: American Educational DC Crank Generator, 6-1/2" Length x 2-1/2" Width x 4-1/2" Height: Industrial & Scientific

Last edited by Minok; 07-29-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:56 PM
porschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really nice
my biggest concern about these things is if it actually has the power to start a truly dead battery. I was once looking at a used car and when i went to start it, the battery was dead. the salesman brought out a strong jump starter and it wouldn't jump it off. He said the jumper was topped off, but who knows.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:08 AM
Phil_D is infamous around these partsPhil_D is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Minok
If anything, why not a hand-cranked dynamo of old-school type that gets regulated to 12 volts? That never fails.
Not enough current.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by porschelady
my biggest concern about these things is if it actually has the power to start a truly dead battery.
Just look after the battery in the vehicle, change it before it fails, ie: the first time it shows any signs of losing power. No need to be buying junk to carry around that may or may not work when you need it.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:31 AM
simoncpw is a jewel in the roughsimoncpw is a jewel in the roughsimoncpw is a jewel in the rough
Actually the whole reason I got this was to be able to at least open the frunk when the battery is dead, or if I stupidly close the frunk when the battery is disconnected, like how I did it a few months ago. Ever since then I get so paranoid when I close the frunk, EVERYTIME!

Old 07-30-2014, 10:48 AM
porschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really nice
unfortunately, most batteries today give no warning for failure. Starts perfect one time...nothing the next. I spent 5 hours waiting for roadside assistance in a remote Canyonlands campsite learning that. That was on a less than 2 year old battery in my "11 Tacoma.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:26 PM
myw
myw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to behold
can you not plug in plug-to-wall battery tender to the cig lighter and use that power to open the frunk? i keep my battery tender in the glove compartment for this very reason.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:46 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by myw
can you not plug in plug-to-wall battery tender to the cig lighter and use that power to open the frunk? i keep my battery tender in the glove compartment for this very reason.
I haven't tried it but there have been reports that just a battery tender won't provide enough juice to open the trunk - you need a battery hooked up to the red terminal in the fuse box.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:09 PM
simoncpw is a jewel in the roughsimoncpw is a jewel in the roughsimoncpw is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by myw
I live in an apartment building so the car is parked in the basement carpark where there's no easy access to electricity. When it happened to me last time, I had to pull the battery out from my other car and tap it to the fuse box and door lock...etc, while I was in a panic mode late at night during a rain storm! Now that I've done this it all sound so easy now

I received the battery pack for the cable was damaged. The dealer was nice enough (from China!) to sent not one but TWO extra cables which just arrived, except that my car was dropped off at the bodyshop just this morning for a complete nip tuck! Oh well, I guess I can only test this thing in about a month time.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:31 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Phil_D
Not enough current.
So that fuse-box post provides power to more than just the frunk release circuit? That seems silly, since the point of that post is to pop the frunk so you can get to the battery to jump/charge it. I'd expect that post to not have to power the larger electronics, and the power to run a motor for the frunk release.. how many amps does that draw?

Old 07-31-2014, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by Minok
So that fuse-box post provides power to more than just the frunk release circuit? That seems silly, since the point of that post is to pop the frunk so you can get to the battery to jump/charge it. I'd expect that post to not have to power the larger electronics, and the power to run a motor for the frunk release.. how many amps does that draw?
Not exactly sure, but I'd be surprised if that crank generator could generate enough. There's a home science project for someone.