997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Emergency power / jump start?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 08:56 AM
simoncpw is a jewel in the roughsimoncpw is a jewel in the roughsimoncpw is a jewel in the rough
Emergency power / jump start?

Hi all,

Has anyone used this or something similar? Thinking of getting this for emergency. Like getting the frunk open when the battery is dead / disconnected (don't ask me why!!!)? or even jump starting the car?

http://www.thepowerall.com/product.html

Thanks

Old 07-25-2014, 11:20 AM
porschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really nice
How do you get to the battery when it is dead? directions are probably in the owner's manual, but if car is locked, what then? I can't remember something that I read months ago.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:29 PM
Phil_D is infamous around these partsPhil_D is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by porschelady
How do you get to the battery when it is dead? directions are probably in the owner's manual, but if car is locked, what then? I can't remember something that I read months ago.
Unlock the vehicle with the key, then you'll need some jumper leads or power supply to pop the hood. The instructions are in the manual, but here's a quick video showing how to do it.

There is also an emergency cable release to pop open the hood, but you need to remove the front driver wheel to get to it.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:56 PM
porschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really nice
Thanks. I need to refresh myself on the emergency cable.
Once when the accelerator was revving to full throttle on it's own on the wife's '08, the tow driver told me he was called to tow in a BMW with a dead battery and inadvertantly locked the keys in the car. It cost him several hundred dollars to get it open. He thought the P-car was the same. That's why I wondered how you could get to the battery.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:05 PM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
Simon i think this is a cool item. I want to get one.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:15 PM
it does look like a good thing to have but would like to know for sure it would kick over a stone dead battery.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by porschelady
need to refresh myself on the emergency cable.
Found this pic which shows where it is. Not a 100% if 997.2s have it, but 997.1s do.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_17731272101249.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	397422  
Old 07-25-2014, 03:03 PM
thanks again! That's why this forum is great.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:28 PM
FYI There is a similar release for the engine cover under the driver side rear light. You can actually get to it with a dental pick or similar, but you do need to know where it is. However, barring a faulty release I really can't see much use for it.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:07 PM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
Sometimes i find the location of the release cables funny eg release for the engine hood under the rear tailight. Hiw donyou remove the tailight if he hood is f...ing closed!

Old 07-25-2014, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by slicky rick
Sometimes i find the location of the release cables funny eg release for the engine hood under the rear tailight. Hiw donyou remove the tailight if he hood is f...ing closed!
A dental pick or similar will actually do it, but you need to know where it is. It is taped down from the factory so it is close to the edge. The problem is that over time the tape weathers and lifts up and the cable can move. I re-taped mine last time I had the lights out.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:14 PM
If these cars weren't so much fun to drive, I can't think of a reason to own one.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:41 PM
simoncpw is a jewel in the roughsimoncpw is a jewel in the roughsimoncpw is a jewel in the rough
Ok. Ordered mine and it arrived yesterday. Ill give it a go over the weekend and report back.

Oh the emergency release cable for the frunk... To access it you are suppose to remove the wheel, which requires the wheel lock nuts. And guess where's the wheel lock nuts located???!!

Old 07-25-2014, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by simoncpw
And guess where's the wheel lock nuts located???!!
I have splined lug nuts on my aftermarket rims, but mine is in the glove box for that very reason, and I have a spare at home.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:09 PM
Yeh, that's what I would do now. Unfortunately being a new Porsche owner, I learnt the hard way!!!

Actually I just changed to aftermarket new lug nuts with the new wheels yesterday. I need to call the shop about this.

Originally Posted by Phil_D
I have splined lug nuts on my aftermarket rims, but mine is in the glove box for that very reason, and I have a spare at home.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Emergency power / jump start?