997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

How much value to purchasing from Porsche dealership and CPO

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 07:07 AM
MarcoRemius is infamous around these parts
I went CPO for the piece of mind. I'm actually REALLY surprised I haven't had an issue yet. I have a sneaky feeling the battery will give out soon, but that's expected for a 7 year old vehicle.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:48 AM
vern1 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by dalancroft
I have fire insurance, but I don't expect my house to burn down. I have life insurance, but don't expect to die any time soon. I have comprehensive & collision auto insurance, but don't expect to get in a major crash in the near future. Insurance is just that: protection. I'd rather be the guy who has the insurance and never needs it than the poor sap who needs a new transmission or engine, but doesn't have a warranty, and thus is SOL.
Really?? I don't consider a car warranty on par with life insurance and house insurance both of which provides protection/security for my family. If I die then it impacts my family a hell of a lot more than my car breaking down (at least I hope it does )

Anyways knock yourself out if you want to buy it (but guess you already have). Guys who have it swear by it (because they have already forked out their $$) and guys that don't, save themselves some cash !!

As I said, insurance companies make their money at the end of the day and its a pretty solid business plan

Old 08-27-2014, 12:08 PM
MarcoRemius is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by vern1
Really?? I don't consider a car warranty on par with life insurance and house insurance both of which provides protection/security for my family. If I die then it impacts my family a hell of a lot more than my car breaking down (at least I hope it does )
I disagree entirely. The warranty IS an insurance policy. You're hedging your bet that the cost of the warranty will be less than the cost of any repairs during the warranty period. That's the same as insurance. Insurance companies bet that you're collective monthly premiums (plus investments) are greater than any payouts. Opposite views, but the same thing.
guys that don't, save themselves some cash !!
It's virtually impossible to know if you'll need a warranty or not, so your comment isn't factual. It's an opinion... or more accurately a risk.

Last edited by MarcoRemius; 08-27-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by MarcoRemius
I disagree entirely. The warranty IS an insurance policy. You're hedging your bet that the cost of the warranty will be less than the cost of any repairs during the warranty period. That's the same as insurance. Insurance companies bet that you're collective monthly premiums (plus investments) are greater than any payouts. Opposite views, but the same thing.

It's virtually impossible to know if you'll need a warranty or not, so your comment isn't factual. It's an opinion... or more accurately a risk.
You missed my point entirely. Of course a warranty is an insurance policy. I am not arguing that. I said that I don't view a car warranty/insurance policy on the same level of importance as house or life insurance. Do you???

Secondly I did not say with certainty that any individual can predict whether they will need it or not - that's ridiculous. And its not virtually impossible to know, it IS impossible. What's not an opinion, is that car warranty companies are in business because they pay out (far) less than what they take in. So on average, your better off without the warranty. Of course, my car without a warranty may blow up.....but it didn't so I was better off without a warranty. Maybe you wont be but that's your risk.....or more accurately a risk

Old 08-27-2014, 02:51 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by kalamazoo
I completely recommend paying the extra for the CPO warranty if you can afford it. I recently picked up my first 911....07 Carrera S with only 10800 miles on it. Already had to replace the alternator and battery one month after purchase ($1,800 cost savings), then 3 weeks later, the shifter cable snapped which was covered as well (1,000 savings). I paid $57K for the car which included the CPO warranty. Probably paid $3.5K more because of the warranty but I know I am covered for another 1.5 years to decide if I keep the car or upgrade. Pics of car day of purchase.

Porsche CPO lasts 6 years or 100 K miles from in service date. How is it you have 1 1/2 left on a CPO warranty which should have expired 1 year ago ?

Old 08-27-2014, 03:12 PM
rickdogg82 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Dadio
Porsche CPO lasts 6 years or 100 K miles from in service date. How is it you have 1 1/2 left on a CPO warranty which should have expired 1 year ago ?
CPO Warranty coverage:

Porsche Approved Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty covers up to 6 years, or a cumulative 100,000 miles, from the original in-service date (whichever occurs first), if the vehicle is still under the new car limited warranty at the time of purchase.
For vehicles no longer under the new vehicle limited warranty at the time of used retail delivery, Porsche Approved Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty coverage extends until the earlier of:
• 2 years from the date of used retail delivery
OR
• 50,000 miles from the mileage at used retail delivery, but not to exceed a cumulative 100,000 total miles on the vehicle

Old 08-27-2014, 05:15 PM
tphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond repute
I wouldn't buy one without some kind of CPO warranty. And wouldn't buy unless it is from a Porsche AD. After purchase royal treatment is top notch, and love it.

CarMax has plenty of good price preowned P cars, but nah...

Old 08-27-2014, 05:44 PM
Sc00ter is infamous around these parts
CPO it is a piece of mind. No doubt is worth the 3-4k extra.

Originally Posted by Haili Selassie
Part of the CPO deal is free towing.I don't know if they will take you 2 hours for free,but it would not surprise me if that is your nearest dealer just based on my experience with the 1800PORSCHE roadside.I can't speak about 3rd party but I have had great experience with a covered CPO repair and battery service in the 6 months or so I've owned mine.Personally I would feel way more comfortable with CPO over 3rd party.I can't give an exact number but the 4 years or 88K mile coverage would be worth at least 5K to me.
Yes it is. I had a battery issue (car was improperly stored) and had it towed for about 180 km to the closest Porsche dealer. I think is unlimited km towing to the closest Porsche dealer.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:23 AM
MFT
MFT is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Sc00ter
CPO it is a piece of mind. No doubt is worth the 3-4k extra.

Yes it is. I had a battery issue (car was improperly stored) and had it towed for about 180 km to the closest Porsche dealer. I think is unlimited km towing to the closest Porsche dealer.

I would definitely prefer the manufacturer's extended warranty rather than a 3rd party, particularly if Porsche is willing to tow the car to the nearest dealer (150 km) like they did for ScOOter.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:26 AM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
I stand corrected. My dealer told me that regardless of when the CPO agreement was entered into ( in warranty car or used car ), it would not last more than 6 years or 100 K miles from the cars in service date. Given the info you presented, I'm thinking the dealership needs to do a little more training on the subject.

With that said, if I were buying a used Porsche from a dealer I would opt in for the 2 year CPO warranty without question.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:40 AM
Dealers must love you guys!!

Old 08-28-2014, 12:55 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dadio
I stand corrected. My dealer told me that regardless of when the CPO agreement was entered into ( in warranty car or used car ), it would not last more than 6 years or 100 K miles from the cars in service date. Given the info you presented, I'm thinking the dealership needs to do a little more training on the subject.

With that said, if I were buying a used Porsche from a dealer I would opt in for the 2 year CPO warranty without question.
That's incorrect. Cars can still be cpo'd if they are over 4 years old. Cpo warranty extends 2 years from the sale date.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:28 PM
dalancroft is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by vern1
Anyways knock yourself out if you want to buy it (but guess you already have).
Didn't have to buy it, came with the car which was a 2011 CPO with less than 20K miles. 4 years, an additional 50K miles.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:01 PM
the997dude is infamous around these parts
I'm a bit confused, maybe someone can clear it up for me. Since I'm still in my original warranty for about another year, is it possible to get my car CPO certified by a Porsche dealership which will extend the factory warranty? Or is my only option to get a 3rd party extended warranty ?

Old 08-29-2014, 08:37 PM
Sc00ter is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by the997dude
I'm a bit confused, maybe someone can clear it up for me. Since I'm still in my original warranty for about another year, is it possible to get my car CPO certified by a Porsche dealership which will extend the factory warranty? Or is my only option to get a 3rd party extended warranty ?
Is more complicated than this.
Are you the original owner of the car or not?
If you are the original owner of the car and you still have original warranty left, yes you can add it.

As well, once a CPO was added to the car, and you are still under 8 years (since in service date) or 120 000 km or 140 000km ( i don't recall) you can add another CPO.
So yes, basically after 4 years of original warranty and another 2 years of CPO, if you are still under 120 000 km (pretty sure is 120k and not 140k ) you can add another 2 extra years or 160 000.
SO in total, you can have a 8 years or 160k. Of course as I mentioned, you MUST have under 120k after 6 years.
Might sound complicated my explanation.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How much value to purchasing from Porsche dealership and CPO