997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

How much value to purchasing from Porsche dealership and CPO

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 08:43 PM
the997dude is infamous around these parts
Crap ! It's only for the original owner? I'm the second owner :-(

Old 09-05-2014, 04:24 PM
Rengoku is just really niceRengoku is just really niceRengoku is just really niceRengoku is just really nice
If its less than 5k difference, I would get the CPO warranty. When I was looking a couple months back, most dealers were a good 8-10k more...

Old 09-08-2014, 06:42 AM
CROOPS34 is infamous around these parts
I was looking at two cars when all was said and done and I had test driven both, when I am spending as much money as I did on a used vehicle, I don't want to worry about a repair popping up in the first couple of years of ownership that will cost me thousands of dollars. Having a bumbper to bumber warranty from last week, until May first of 2017 I know I can rest easy and not worry about any silly failures I will have to dirsupt the rest of my life for. THAT in my opinion is what the CPO program is for. It is something you pay for to ensure you are getting a car that will be rock solid and reliable... and if it ends up not being the case, it's not your problem to pay for.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:36 PM
StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !
I don't know if this applies to top where you live, but in Texas an advantage of using a dealer is that you only pay sales taxes on the difference in price between the new car and the trade in value ... assuming you have a trade in. At 6.25% in Texas this saved me around $2800 over a private party sale making the dealer with CPO even more attractive. Don't know if that helps you though.

I've opted for the dealer/CPO on my last 5 cars (Porsches and BMWs) for four reasons:

1) Often a person trying to personally sell their car instead of trading wants a bit too much for their car and won't negotiate down anywhere near what a dealer will. I can always get at least 10% off asking price from a dealer and a couple of times in the 15% range. You have to be willing to take the time and effort to do this though... some people don't like doing that much pushing.

2) I like having the CPO and the dealer's backing on the sale... they are normally much more willing to back their sale. This became an issue on one of my BMWs... they took the problem car back and gave me another after a series of turbo-related problems in the first few months with my 335i, with a little help from a seemingly well-crafted letter to BMW corporate helped push the dealer to that decision.

3) After establishing a good repeat-customer relationship, the deals seem to come much easier each time. It's a long-term forward-looking view but it has paid off more than once.

4) With the CPO you know that the car was reasonably well inspected and most frequently comes with the next tuneup and new tires plus other free goodies you can negotiate like nav updates to the most recent. These alone are often worth another 3 grand or more at Porsche labor and parts costs.

This isn't to way that you won't find reasonable deals and great cars from PP sellers, I just personally like the risk reduction and I'm pretty certain the cost difference is negligible or even occasionally favorable (although the Texas sales tax thing helps with that).

Last edited by StormRune; 09-08-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:21 PM
rayng is infamous around these parts
have you considered going to a local cars and coffee? there's nothing better than buying a car you know from an owner you've met and trust. friends usually don't sell friends a lemon.

i don't buy CPO cars because the dealer is just charging you for maintenance and repairs upfront. if a car is sitting at a dealer's lot with CPO, the car may be in better condition than a similar car sitting at the local used car lot because p-car dealerships tend to CPO cars they've serviced and know that is in pretty good condition. so chances are, the CPO won't be used very often.

i'd recommend that you'd allocate $5-10k in the bank as a rainy day fund and pay $50k or less from a private party sale. if your car is pristine, you can always drive it to your local porsche dealer to see if they'll CPO it (which should cost around $3k or so).

Old 09-08-2014, 07:46 PM
Which would most people on here prefer: 1. Having CPO(2 years for $3,500) OR 2. Have an extended warranty through fidelity (4 years for $4,600) That is the choice I'm looking at from my local Porsche dealer

Last edited by the997dude; 09-08-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:48 AM
Haili Selassie is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by the997dude
Which would most people on here prefer: 1. Having CPO(2 years for $3,500) OR 2. Have an extended warranty through fidelity (4 years for $4,600) That is the choice I'm looking at from my local Porsche dealer
CPO every time! The way I see this question 2 years fidelity=$2,300 vs 2 years of CPO=$3,500 or roughly only 34% more for the known commodity.I'll take the known value of the CPO then cross the next bridge when I get to it in 2 years.
Admittedly my opinion is skewed having only terrific experiences with Porsche Roadside,and a CPO warranty repair while for me Fidelity is unproven.I hear Fidelity mentioned a lot,but I personally can't remember any glowing testimonies of how they came through for someone.
Again if someone would like to share some good Fidelity experiences I would love to hear them.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:07 AM
sandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by the997dude
Easy. I'd double the warranty period with Fidelity for an extra $1,100. Lots of chest thumping and bravado here among the risk takers which is fine but when these cars come apart it's never cheap. The 3rd party warranty on my -09 C4S with 30K miles on it (no track time) paid close to $16,000 in less than two years including a PDK replacement. A blown water pump that took the serpentine belt with it paid almost 75% of the cost of the policy alone.

The way I look at it is that to own these cars without a warranty you have to feel comfortable spending $25,000 on repairs which is a worst case scenario of an engine replacement. It's not just a matter of having the money in the bank but about making sense of paying what may amount to more than 50% of what the car is worth in repairs. To each their own.

Last edited by sandwedge; 09-09-2014 at 01:21 AM.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:23 PM
Haili Selassie is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by sandwedge
Easy. I'd double the warranty period with Fidelity for an extra $1,100. Lots of chest thumping and bravado here among the risk takers which is fine but when these cars come apart it's never cheap. The 3rd party warranty on my -09 C4S with 30K miles on it (no track time) paid close to $16,000 in less than two years including a PDK replacement. A blown water pump that took the serpentine belt with it paid almost 75% of the cost of the policy alone.

The way I look at it is that to own these cars without a warranty you have to feel comfortable spending $25,000 on repairs which is a worst case scenario of an engine replacement. It's not just a matter of having the money in the bank but about making sense of paying what may amount to more than 50% of what the car is worth in repairs. To each their own.
sandwege,would you please share the name of the 3rd party warranty?

Old 09-10-2014, 02:24 PM
bgrpph has a spectacular aura aboutbgrpph has a spectacular aura aboutbgrpph has a spectacular aura about
few months back i got Fidelity platinum warranty from Sunset Porsche- over the phone- for my '07 997.1TT with 25k miles- got 6 yr, 60k addt'l mile $250 ded for $4300. I still have some CPO warranty left but decided to get Fidelity now just in case price or availability changes. I've previously purchased Fidelity from them at substantial savings over local dealer- before you buy locally,call their fin dept & get quote for your car- you may save $$. No affiliation- just have had good prices fromSunset Porsche & buy most of my parts from them & 2 Fidelity warranties.

I got my '07 997.1TT about 18 months ago from local dealer- it had 2 yr CPO- I could have had price reduce by $2k if i wanted car w/o the CPO- elected to buy with CPO.

Last edited by bgrpph; 09-10-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by bgrpph
few months back i got Fidelity platinum warranty from Sunset Porsche- over the phone- for my '07 997.1TT with 25k miles- got 6 yr, 60k addt'l mile $250 ded for $4300. I still have some CPO warranty left but decided to get Fidelity now just in case price or availability changes. I've previously purchased Fidelity from them at substantial savings over local dealer- before you buy locally,call their fin dept & get quote for your car- you may save $$. No affiliation- just have had good prices fromSunset Porsche & buy most of my parts from them & 2 Fidelity warranties. I got my '07 997.1TT about 18 months ago from local dealer- it had 2 yr CPO- I could have had price reduce by $2k if i wanted car w/o the CPO- elected to buy with CPO.
Thanks for the info. So this is your second fidelity warranty? Have you ever had to use them for repairs on your Porsche?

Old 09-10-2014, 05:46 PM
bgrpph has a spectacular aura aboutbgrpph has a spectacular aura aboutbgrpph has a spectacular aura about
bought Fidelity Platinum for my previous '02 996C2 when i got it from orig owner who was friend- 19k miles- Fidelity covered RMS leak repair, new key when remote quit working & few other minor items. Had no issues

Bought Fidelity Platinum from Sunset Porsche in Oregon for wife's 07 Boxster S we bought used in 2010 with 20k miles- currently has 57k. got it while still under factory warr-- Fidelity's covered all repairs we've needed, using dealer (minor items) window regulator, interior door handle mechanism, few more can't recall now- repair could take a bit longer if they want to see car before approval. Hasn't been issue for me but i've only had minor items (other than RMS which was taking out trans, etc.)

Now have Fidelity on 997.1TT but haven't used it yet as car is still under CPO-

Old 09-10-2014, 07:30 PM
sandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Haili Selassie
sandwege,would you please share the name of the 3rd party warranty?
It was a Toyota backed policy that I bought from a Lexus/Maserati dealership. Identical to Fidelity's 4-year platinum policy but $1,000 less and zero deductible. Very happy with it while I had it. Minimal discussion even for the $13,000 PDK replacement.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by bgrpph
bought Fidelity Platinum for my previous '02 996C2 when i got it from orig owner who was friend- 19k miles- Fidelity covered RMS leak repair, new key when remote quit working & few other minor items. Had no issues Bought Fidelity Platinum from Sunset Porsche in Oregon for wife's 07 Boxster S we bought used in 2010 with 20k miles- currently has 57k. got it while still under factory warr-- Fidelity's covered all repairs we've needed, using dealer (minor items) window regulator, interior door handle mechanism, few more can't recall now- repair could take a bit longer if they want to see car before approval. Hasn't been issue for me but i've only had minor items (other than RMS which was taking out trans, etc.) Now have Fidelity on 997.1TT but haven't used it yet as car is still under CPO-
Awesome, thanks ! I'm the 2nd owner of my 997.2 S which has a bit less than a year on factory warranty and I'm trying to gather all the data points I can, in order to choose between trying to CPO my car which will be the same cost but only 2 years and Fidelity is like 6 years. The service advisor at my dealership says he uses fidelity a lot and has had good experiences with them but you never know.

Last edited by the997dude; 09-10-2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-19-2020, 02:35 PM
griegomiami is infamous around these parts
Hey guys, quick question. I read in the forum that several people bought from 3rd party dealers and took it to Porsche dealer to be cpo'ed. I called a couple of dealers down in Miami and both said they don't do that. Mind you I was talking to salespeople. Is that the case or I need to speak to a manager or so to find out? I am trying to see if is worth paying more to get a cpo car or buy from private dealer/owner and try to get it cpoed.

Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How much value to purchasing from Porsche dealership and CPO