997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Carrera S without Sport Chrono

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
I have a 6-speed 997.1 Carrera S and I enjoy the Sport mode. I wouldn't want to give it up.
I wouldn't want to dictate what others do, and call it a must-have, but I did want to pass on my personal enthusiasm about it.
I don't 'hang it out' on the street and I'm not driving this car on the track yet, so the PSM thing does not apply to me. I do enjoy the sport throttle and the stiffer suspension settings with my Damptronics (or the stock stuff prior to my upgrade)

Old 11-08-2010, 11:35 AM
r2b2007 is infamous around these parts
If you have had the opportunity to drive a 6 speeed over the same course in similar vehicles with and without you will know the difference. It is a completely different feel and level of control. I have heard from many that knock it but have never experienced it. If your serious, go to your dealer and I am sure they can set up an opportunity for you to test and see the difference. Yes with a PDK the difference is nothing short of amazing. Just check out some of the information on the Porsche site. I would not own another Porsche without it. IMO and that of the numerous Porsche dealers I have purchased from in the past it will help you at the time you trade your car in. If your buying a base Carrera, you could flip a coin, if your buying a Carrera S on up it is worth the investment.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:36 AM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
Is there a FAQ out there. Does sport chrono do anything to manual pasm 997.2 cars? I have one on order and did not get the sport chrono. Dealer said that on 6-Spd manual cars it was nothing more than an expensive stopwatch.

Please advise.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:43 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by EricP
Is there a FAQ out there. Does sport chrono do anything to manual pasm 997.2 cars? I have one on order and did not get the sport chrono. Dealer said that on 6-Spd manual cars it was nothing more than an expensive stopwatch.

Please advise.
if you have 'pasm' suspension then when you press 'sport' button - 2 things will happen - your throttle map will be altered and your shocks will get stiffer.

throttle map change is possible to feel in 2.5K-4K rpm range as car will rev up quicker with less pressure required to gas pedal. that is all it does. above that rpm range it is non-essential. people who order gt3 cars get same map all the time so no one even bother with SC option. on street 997 cars it is your choice.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:44 AM
r2b2007 is infamous around these parts
Direct from the Porsche site, you decide.

All 911 models can also be fitted with the optional Sport Chrono Package Plus. It offers even sportier tuning of the engine and chassis, and delivers even greater driving pleasure as a result.
Included in the package are a digital and analog timer, a Sport select button, a performance display and a personal memory function in the new Porsche Communication Management (PCM). Also—when fitted in combination with Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)—the Sport Plus button.
When the Sport button on the center console is selected, the EMS SDI 3.1 engine management system enhances the engine response. A modified throttle map relates the pedal angle in the footwell to a much wider angle of opening on the throttle valve. Throttle response is significantly more immediate, and, in the higher gears, a hard rev-limiter helps protect the engine under acceleration.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:49 AM
gravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by r2b2007
Direct from the Porsche site, you decide.

All 911 models can also be fitted with the optional Sport Chrono Package Plus. It offers even sportier tuning of the engine and chassis, and delivers even greater driving pleasure as a result.
Included in the package are a digital and analog timer, a Sport select button, a performance display and a personal memory function in the new Porsche Communication Management (PCM). Also—when fitted in combination with Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)—the Sport Plus button.
When the Sport button on the center console is selected, the EMS SDI 3.1 engine management system enhances the engine response. A modified throttle map relates the pedal angle in the footwell to a much wider angle of opening on the throttle valve. Throttle response is significantly more immediate, and, in the higher gears, a hard rev-limiter helps protect the engine under acceleration.
Nice marketing.

As Steve said, the manual is clear in that SC offers absolutely no performance benefit for a 6MT car. PDK cars get launch control and, I believe, a faster shift map with SC - but I'm not 100% sure on the last point.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:02 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by r2b2007
If you have had the opportunity to drive a 6 speeed over the same course in similar vehicles with and without you will know the difference. It is a completely different feel and level of control. I have heard from many that knock it but have never experienced it.
The only people who knock it are those who do not have it or found their own rationalization for not having it. It's true that the user interface experience is radically transformed, PDK or 6-speed.

Last edited by adias; 11-08-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:05 PM
empunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of light
I had the Sport Chrono on my 2006 997.1 S with a 6-speed manual.

I wouldn't order it again unless I was getting the PDK.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:12 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
I ordered PASM on a C4S and I would like to have a sportier throttle response in that 2.5k-4k range and the tuned suspension on demand. (my car is still en route - not yet delivered)

My dealer, at the time of order, stated that for a 6-speed car the SPORT CHRONO option it's nothing more than an expensive stopwatch. He said it does NOTHING else. NOTHING.

Where is the truth? I called Porsche North America and they said that even on 6-speed manual cars, it's a radical ECU change in a specified RPM range.

Last edited by EricP; 11-08-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:27 PM
At the simplest level, what is the difference on a 6-speed PASM car between pressing the sport button WITH the sport chrono option and pressing the sport button WITHOUT sport chrono?

Don't say "changes the shift patterns" because I am shifting manually. (obviously )

Last edited by EricP; 11-08-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:34 PM
996CABOVA is a jewel in the rough996CABOVA is a jewel in the rough996CABOVA is a jewel in the rough
At the simplest level, what is the difference on a 6-speed PASM car between pressing the sport button WITH the sport chrono option and pressing the sport button WITHOUT sport chrono?

Don't say "changes the shift patterns" because I am shifting manually. (obviously )
Eric I had a 05 C2S and the Sport Chrono was nice and felt a huge difference btw Sport & non sport as far as throttle response. In my 2010 C2S the throttle response is so good in non sport hitting the sport button isnt as dramatic as the .1 997, and was saying it really isnt a MUST option unless you are going to track the car I guess which I dont. Now on a PDK it is a must. But ill say the 997.2 is fast enuff im still grinning and LOL everytime I drive it...soooooo much faster than my 05 its not even close

Old 11-08-2010, 01:12 PM
Ok. Thanks for the replies. Overall it seems like the consensus is that it's worthwhile to order because of the traits it adds to sport driving...and if for nothing else, resale!

grrrrr.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:14 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !

Are you referring to the PASM button when SC Sport is on or off?

Don't ask... the naysayers will soon come, but yes, there os a difference, at least in the 997.2S.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:14 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by utkinpol
if you have 'pasm' suspension then when you press 'sport' button - 2 things will happen - your throttle map will be altered and your shocks will get stiffer.

throttle map change is possible to feel in 2.5K-4K rpm range as car will rev up quicker with less pressure required to gas pedal. that is all it does. above that rpm range it is non-essential. people who order gt3 cars get same map all the time so no one even bother with SC option. on street 997 cars it is your choice.
3 things, ...and PSM gets relaxed..., claims Porsche.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:32 PM
jakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the rough
They are totally worthless without SC.. In fact you probably don't want to be seen driving one of those cars..

I would be more than happy to take that worthless POC off your hands to do you a favor....

It's the least I can do

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Carrera S without Sport Chrono