997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Carrera S without Sport Chrono

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 05:40 AM
shumphries is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by EricP
Wow- awesome - you answered EVERY question I had - THANK YOU Dave!!!
Agreed. Well said.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:18 AM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
Great stuff - well said. Rep point to you! That's why those things are here - to reward someone for taking the time to type out a helpful post.

Originally Posted by DaveHutchinson
EricP, let me help clear this up for you since there's some serious misinformation being flung around this thread/forum.

Up until recently (a couple of months ago) it wasn't possible to retrofit the "Sport" feature on any 911 unless you spec'd "Sports Chrono" or "Sports Chrono +". The only way to obtain the "Sport" button was with the dashboard timer or "wart".

In a *standard* 911 Carrera, without PASM (Adjustable suspension) you would only have access to the PSM button which is the Porsche Stability Management. Clicking this would turn the system on or off, that's it.

Now if you have a Carrera S or a base Carrera *with* PASM you would also have the suspension button. This allows you to select two different settings, stock and firm (sport); the latter of which on the 997.1 at least is rather harsh on anything but a billiard table style road.

Finally, *IF* you specified the Sports Chrono or Sports Chrono + options on your 911, you would have the "Sport" button too. Assuming a Carrera S or a Carrera with PASM, the depression of the "Sport" button would activate the PASM (suspension) sport mode, back off the PSM slightly and increase throttle response. You can then choose to set the suspension back to normal mode by pressing the PASM button, while still maintaining your "Sport" throttle response.

It's worth noting as well that the Sport button will also activate your PSE (Sports Exhaust) which again can be toggled back off by pressing its own button.

As I mentioned at the beginning, Porsche recently released a retrofit "Sport" button that doesn't have the dashboard chrono. This adds all the features I mentioned above. This is the *SAME* option as the Sports Chrono, minus the clock, that's it!

Finally for PDK cars, the Sport button allows a different shift map as has already been discussed here.

TLDR? The "Sport" button is only available if you specify "Sports Chrono" from the factory OR you do the retrofit from your local Porsche dealer.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:29 AM
Jafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by superfans
Will a Carrera S without the Sport Chrono becomes an unattrative car?

I very much disagree with most of the comments here that it is a must - I think it is a great 'nice to have'

Keep Sports Chrono in Normal (which is the default) and you have a typical 997S (and I have yet to meet someone who things that that car is either slow or boring).

I would bet that 95% of all people don't go to Sports mode in Sports Chrono every time they drive the car and in most everyday driving, it makes no difference (just like the Sport Suspension setting - how often do you actual remember to switch it over?).

Thus Verdict: great car either way, if you buy new, order Sports Chrono; if you buy used and it has no Sports Chrono make a big fuss with the buyer and drop another $1000 but buy the car anyway and have lots of fun

Old 11-10-2010, 05:52 PM
12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold
what is better between Chrono Package vs Chrono Plus Package? Please advise. Thanks

Old 11-10-2010, 06:41 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
This all seems kind of dumb to me. Dave put it best, explaining it technically. However, for used, options like SC mean almost nothing in terms of resale, just as full leather, navigation, etc. add not much once the car is more than a few years old.

My '05 997S came with PASM (the dual suspension mode), but once I chipped it, the car had increased throttle response "ON" all the time, just like keeping a sport chrono car in "ON", but I can have it on the softer suspension setting.

Regardless, the timer on the dash doesn't mean much to most folks. Here's what I did: custom wart, but with valuable OBDII and other data. I used it tonight to clear a fault code after replacing a front impact sensor:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...lti-gauge.html
CATTMAN

Attached Images  
Old 11-10-2010, 10:08 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
But , at the end of the day, the car is worthless without SC.

...or what Dave said...or the RTFM comment - it is all there.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:08 PM
terrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by adias
The only people who knock it are those who do not have it or found their own rationalization for not having it. It's true that the user interface experience is radically transformed, PDK or 6-speed.
I have had many 997's with SC. I now also have a 2010 C2S without it. I think it is nice to have in a PDK car, but in a 6-speed, it offers nothing other than a sharper throttle response which is nice sometimes, but to be honest, in my previous "normal" 911's (not GT models), I rarely ever put in in Sport mode. It is too jerky in daily driving and especially in traffic.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:28 PM
richard181 is infamous around these parts
as for value it will only effect you when you sell the car. If trade in to dealer the difference in a few years will be very little.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:14 PM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
I cant drive my car without pushing the sport button regardless if i have to just drive it around the block.. Without the sport button i personaly think its draggy dragging along to me its a nite and day diffrence

Old 11-13-2010, 07:19 AM
CHAOS236 is infamous around these partsCHAOS236 is infamous around these parts
I am in the market and two excellent deals just sat do to no SC,it will help huge in resale!

Old 11-13-2010, 07:33 AM
Rodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really nice
If you have PDK, it's a must. The shifts are night and day, the response and gear mapping too. I never drive in normal - it sux. If u have a 6 speed, it's nice to have. I still would get it. It would def affect resale value if u don't have it. Less people interested in it.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:25 AM
P997S is infamous around these partsP997S is infamous around these parts
i wouldnt buy a 911 with sports chrono...especially pdk - launch control, sport and sport plus...fun toys...dont need them - but fun to have

Old 11-13-2010, 11:29 AM
P997S is infamous around these partsP997S is infamous around these parts
and i rarely drive in normal mode or sport plus...almost always in Sport- i like the more sensitive throttle

Old 11-13-2010, 03:08 PM
Rodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really nice
Originally Posted by P997S
i wouldnt buy a 911 with sports chrono...especially pdk - launch control, sport and sport plus...fun toys...dont need them - but fun to have
You meant - without. Correct?

Old 11-13-2010, 04:54 PM
ScottAtlGa is infamous around these parts
Maybe I am a simpleton or just haven't learned to appreciate those options yet, but I drive my mine as a second vehicle and couldn't care less about Sport Chrono. A lot of us just cruise along enjoying the vehicle without it being loaded up. While more options are usually desired many of us draw the line at a certain price point. Trading frequently, I have learned that the dealer will tell you without this and that, it's a hard sell, but they will get all the money as it sits. All I'm saying is that many people but not everyone has a need for sports chrono, PASM, etc. and they sell many 997s without all the options. With very few exceptions, the more you go above base or reasonably equipped, the more you lose when you sell it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Carrera S without Sport Chrono