997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

OBII Tools Durametric vs. iCarsoft

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 03:57 PM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
Anxiously waiting for your assessment of the icarsoft mike.....

Old 10-17-2014, 07:34 PM
Robocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really nice
Me too!

Old 10-19-2014, 03:24 AM
997Mike is infamous around these parts
tracking number says it will be delivered Monday

Old 10-21-2014, 05:33 PM
Z00mie is infamous around these parts
I have the Durametric and await your thoughts/review....

Old 10-21-2014, 06:31 PM
I received my iCarsoft i960 and tested it out last night.

What you get in the box
Name:  VmcpBYsl.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  69.6 KB

Steps
Pretty straight forward
  1. Don't read manual because who does...
  2. Turn car off
  3. Plug into OBII port
  4. Turn car on (engine off or running)
  5. Answer setup menu questions (tell scanner what car it is plugged into)
  6. Press buttons until you get desired result
  7. Turn car off before disconnecting

Interface
Using it was relatively simple however the interface leaves much to be desired (Granted I do UX work for a living). That said, after spending a few minutes going through the menus you start to get the hang of it.

One thing that I found odd is that it has both an Automatic and Manual mode that seem to do the same thing (I didn't play around too much). After selecting the auto mode it separates the modules such as DME, PSM, Air Conditioning etc - This video is not mine but it shows the menus I am referring to. When you select one of these categories it shows all error codes allowing you to click through them.

Code Reading
The tool returns an error code number and description. In my case I received the following codes:
  • 8035 - Left seat heater. No clue why this one was tripped as the seat heaters seem to work fine.
  • 8073 - Driver's front airbag stage 1 connected to other ignition circuit
  • 8074 - Driver's front airbag stage 2 connected to other ignition circuit
  • C141 - Communication PCM (display). I assume this is due to my aftermarket stereo. Shoutout to Del Ray Customs - the kit they sell is very complete and easy to install.

Possibly Issue - In my initial searches the codes returned did not seem to match with what I could find online. Was hoping a workshop manual would detail steps related to diagnosing and fixing the specific code. The iCarsoft site does say that you can email questions related to usage, installation, diagnosis which I have done and will post a follow up with whatever response I receive.

Sample Result
Name:  qyoS7Q8l.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  48.0 KB

Clearing Codes
The tool does allow you to clear codes. However in my case after clearing all codes the airbag warning did come back after a few minutes. I assume this means that there is actually something wrong with my car . To that point it does not seem to turn off codes (I need to play around with it a bit more) but this may not be what the guys with aftermarket steering wheels and seats are looking for.

Conclusion
The iCarSoft seems like a decent tool for the price. It would be great if someone with the Durametric could post up their experiences (specifically the knock off as that seems like it would be closer comparison). If you guys have any questions or anything specific you want me to test out post em up and I can look into it.

Bonus
My sexy ride - it is "only" a 997.1 C2 (I am still in my 20s and already dreaming of when I can afford the targa 4s). I think I like looking at it almost as driving it
Name:  N56YgmDl.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  75.6 KB

Last edited by 997Mike; 10-21-2014 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:04 PM
On the Durametric they make it a point to suggest that you have flashers etc going so as to keep the system awake, or hold your mouth right etc.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:08 PM
saint828 is infamous around these parts
Can it clear SERVICE Light notification?

Old 10-22-2014, 08:32 AM
I believe it wil although I haven't tried it for that specifically...

Old 10-22-2014, 10:19 AM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
If icarsoft can reset service message and do it to the correct mileage, it should become the standard for enthusiasts with porsche cars, and a lot cheaper than durametric.

Old 10-22-2014, 03:45 PM
Vital5er is infamous around these parts
Do you know if the icarsoft also limits the # of cars like dura metric? If no, then it seems like a no brainer. 😄

Old 10-23-2014, 10:26 AM
yvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of light
I like the Durametric and have the enthusiast version. It is limited to 3 Porsche cars only, but I do not plan to have that many in my lifetime.

The iCarSoft seems like a nice diagnostics tool, all combined in one pleasant box. The Durametric on the other hand requires a PC/Windows Laptop.

After reading the review of the iCarSoft above, I believe the Durametric can do much more than that. My favorite features on the Durametric is the capability to activate all controls on the car, from my Laptop. You can literally do everything, from raising the rear flap to spraying the headlight with washer fluid.

Yves

Old 10-23-2014, 11:12 AM
juank20 is infamous around these partsjuank20 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by slicky rick
If icarsoft can reset service message and do it to the correct mileage, it should become the standard for enthusiasts with porsche cars, and a lot cheaper than durametric.
Agreed. Does anyone know if icarsoft can reset service reminders?

Old 10-23-2014, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by juank20
Agreed. Does anyone know if icarsoft can reset service reminders?
Currently traveling for work but will definitely check that out when I get back.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:47 AM
Figured I would post an update on this...

I reached out to iCarsoft for help deciphering the codes I was throwing:
8073 - Driver's front airbag stage 1 connected to other ignition circuit
8074 - Driver's front airbag stage 2 connected to other ignition circuit
They responded promptly to my initial message and passed it along to their engineer for further research. In the end they were not able to provide any additional information on the codes which is disappointing. This seems like a big downfall for the iCarsoft. I did a lot of my own research on the faults but the iCarsoft codes did not seem to match anything on the typical Porsche fault code lists.

I ended up taking the car to the dealer to get it checked out. Diagnosis was a bad battery and a faulty airbag clockspring.

As far as resetting service reminders - there was nothing obvious in the menus that I saw for this feature however with the bad battery I noticed a few quirks so will need to check again now that it has been fixed.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:04 PM
3POINT8 is infamous around these parts
I have iCarsoft works great

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OBII Tools Durametric vs. iCarsoft