997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

OBII Tools Durametric vs. iCarsoft

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 12:07 PM
scoffbelly is infamous around these parts
Porsche iCarsoft i960 Diagnostic Tool wont reset service reminder

Hi,

I have done extensive research on forums and conclude that the Porsche iCarsoft i960 Diagnostic Tool definitely will not reset the service reminder/warning message.

However iCarsoft do have a new product call the iCarsoft POR II for Porsche scanner iCarsoft POR II for Porsche_Porsche scanner

This claims to be able to do a service reset. I have contacted them to ask if they will guarantee it will specifically do this and await their reply.

Has anyone managed to reset their service now due message using one of these ?

This device claims to "Oil Light/Service Reset:Support service lamp reset"

At $135/£135 that's less than half the price of the cheapest Durametric option.

Last edited by scoffbelly; 07-05-2015 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:54 PM
911-targa4s is infamous around these parts
I just bought the POR II from iCarsoft. I have been communicating with the sales team and they said the POR II would reset the oil and service levels as well as the air bag light and other DTC codes.

I like the unit but the instructions are not clear on how to do the service resets. The oil reset simply asks for the date. There are other resets under the oil reset function and are only labeled Type 1-5.

I have asked these and other questions of iCarsoft and will report back when I hear back.

Looks like this could be a handy tool.

Old 07-05-2015, 01:01 PM
Excellent, so glad you have one, and I agree it does look like a handy tool.

I await your updates on the responses you get from icarsoft. I will hold off purchasing one until we know it will reset service message. I have Cayman S 2010

Many thanks

Old 07-05-2015, 02:53 PM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
I ended up going with durametric on my Mac laptop running on boot camp. Works great. I needed it mainly to reset the airbag module after swapping my track seat in and out.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:49 PM
Sure, we know the Durametric is good but also expensive. If you knew the icarsoft product did the same but for only $130 would you have bought the Durametric?

This is what I am trying to establish as all I really want is the service reset function. All the other features are a useful bonus.

Last edited by scoffbelly; 07-05-2015 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:24 PM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by scoffbelly
Sure, we know the Durametric is good but also expensive. If you knew the icarsoft product did the same but for only $130 would you have bought the Durametric?

This is what I am trying to establish as all I really want is the service reset function. All the other features are a useful bonus.
The durametric "enthusiast" is only $275 ish. It's worth that small difference to buy the proven support and reputation.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:10 AM
I wish the Durametric enthusiast was priced as low as that in the UK. Sadly the only UK distributor is Hinkleys and they mark it up to £299.00 plus tax is £360 equivalent to $560! So the icarsoft at £130.00 with tax. ($200) has to be considered if I just want to reset my service counter reminder.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:24 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by 911-targa4s
I just bought the POR II from iCarsoft. I have been communicating with the sales team and they said the POR II would reset the oil and service levels as well as the air bag light and other DTC codes.

I like the unit but the instructions are not clear on how to do the service resets. The oil reset simply asks for the date. There are other resets under the oil reset function and are only labeled Type 1-5.
The fact that this tool asks for the date indicates it is alreday likely doing a better job than Durametric, which just does a hard reset on the engine computer - forcing it to its max range of 2yr/20k miles.

What a reset SHOULD do is let you set the mileage/time to the next service - maybe for two service types: OIL, SERVICE (maybe an additional for MAJOR SERVICE which is the 2 yr 20k mi one the durametric is limited to).

Old 07-07-2015, 03:30 AM
Agreed, that does sound encouraging.

I am looking forward to hearing 911-targa4s verdict.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:59 AM
kcheves is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
The durametric "enthusiast" is only $275 ish. It's worth that small difference to buy the proven support and reputation.
I recently bought a refurb enthusiast cable. Looks brand new, came with 3 VINs, and I saved alot. I understnad that they frequently have these in stock.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:15 AM
911-targa4s is infamous around these parts
A quick update. iCarsoft tells me they have an engineer working on my questions that they are developing an update tool to provide updates to the device. I suspect this is a very new product if not still in development. If you look at their website, they are still selling their old product as well as the POR II device. I suspect they will be converting over to the new device for many other car brands in the near future since the manual describes the II device for other brands.

Stay tuned. They did confirm that the device will reset service intervals and airbag light but I have yet to see how the device will work.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:26 AM
nwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 911-targa4s
A quick update. iCarsoft tells me they have an engineer working on my questions that they are developing an update tool to provide updates to the device. I suspect this is a very new product if not still in development. If you look at their website, they are still selling their old product as well as the POR II device. I suspect they will be converting over to the new device for many other car brands in the near future since the manual describes the II device for other brands.

Stay tuned. They did confirm that the device will reset service intervals and airbag light but I have yet to see how the device will work.
Thanks for the updates and keep them coming. I need to reset my service reminder and have my wallet at the ready hoping the POR II device will work.

Old 07-18-2015, 06:18 PM
Am now starting to have serious doubts about the icarsoft porII. I wont be buying one until someone can confirm that it resets service reminders.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:02 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by scoffbelly
Am now starting to have serious doubts about the icarsoft porII. I wont be buying one until someone can confirm that it resets service reminders.

If it can reset the service reminder AND set it to a time/date specified by me, the user, then it does what Durametric should have been able to do.
If all it can do is a full reset of the computer (resulting in 20kmi/2yr interval on a 997.2) then its as good as Durametric and likely cheaper I assume.

The problem with Durametric is for the price, it doesn't do the basic things it should do, which is basic maintenance tasks and coding associated with simple reconfigurations any owner would want. (eg enable/disable DRL for those without the sport-chrono-+ configurations, or the auto window up/down settings). Dura-Enth just doesn't do that.

Dura-Pro should be reserved for installing and enabling new modules and unusual stuff an actual pro-shop would need - the advanced coding.

So as soon as a properly priced solution comes out to set the maintenance interval to a date/mileage and to read/clear error codes, that does what I suspect 90% of the owners really need ,and it will replace Durametric as the tool to have in the kit.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:23 PM
Still holding on until someone posts they have easily and successfully reset their service interval with the iCarsoft PORII.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OBII Tools Durametric vs. iCarsoft