997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

OBII Tools Durametric vs. iCarsoft

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 01:37 PM
911-targa4s is infamous around these parts
Here is an update on the iCarsoft POR II tool.

I just downloaded their latest update

Display v02.26
Diagnostic v11.22
Library v 11.25

The Good Stuff
The tool is quite comprehensive and is able to read/reset trouble codes and display detail data streams for 23 sub-systems
  • DME
  • Tiptronic/PDK
  • PSM (Stability Mgmt)
  • Air Conditioning
  • Instrument Cluster
  • Gateway
  • Veh. Electrical Systems
  • Steering Col. Swithc
  • POSIP (Airbag)
  • Park Assistant
  • TPM (tire pressure)
  • AWS (Weight Sensor)
  • Chronometer
  • Driver's Door
  • Passenger's Door
  • PAS (active safe, not on 997)
  • PASM
  • REAR
  • PTM (traction mgmt)
  • Seat Memory
  • Convertible Top
  • Targa Top

The data streaming is great since you can read temperatures, positions, voltage, etc in real time.

There are resets for the following:
  • Oil Lamp
  • Brake ( I think this is electronic parking brake not on 997)
  • ETCS (throttle control?)
  • Steering Angle (Not sure abut this one)

The oil lamp reset has a manual and automatic mode. They both ask for the date when reseting.

The tool also has all of the standard OBDII readings such as O2 levels

The Bad

I still don't have an answer from iCarsoft on service interval reset. There isn't a menu item that is called service reset. I am told they are working on it.

Stay tuned

Old 07-24-2015, 02:59 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
What is meant by "oil lamp"?
Is that the 'oil change reminder'? - ie setting the mileage and time for the oil change remind interval?

Steering angle (my guess) is to tell the computer at what angle reading the wheels are actually pointed forward (0 degree steering angle) - regardless of what the sensor may say - used by stability management to control the car. When suspension parts are replaced or worn unevenly, alignments done, one may need to reset this value so the car's computer system knows what is "going straight ahead" is on the sensor.

Last edited by Minok; 07-24-2015 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:04 AM
tchd is infamous around these parts
Hi - does anyone who owns one of the icarsoft units know if it will show the DME overrevs on a GT3? I've asked icarsoft directly but the haven't provided an answer... Thanks!!

Old 08-25-2015, 11:13 AM
scoffbelly is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 911-targa4s
Here is an update on the iCarsoft POR II tool.

I just downloaded their latest update

Display v02.26
Diagnostic v11.22
Library v 11.25

The Good Stuff
The tool is quite comprehensive and is able to read/reset trouble codes and display detail data streams for 23 sub-systems
  • DME
  • Tiptronic/PDK
  • PSM (Stability Mgmt)
  • Air Conditioning
  • Instrument Cluster
  • Gateway
  • Veh. Electrical Systems
  • Steering Col. Swithc
  • POSIP (Airbag)
  • Park Assistant
  • TPM (tire pressure)
  • AWS (Weight Sensor)
  • Chronometer
  • Driver's Door
  • Passenger's Door
  • PAS (active safe, not on 997)
  • PASM
  • REAR
  • PTM (traction mgmt)
  • Seat Memory
  • Convertible Top
  • Targa Top
The data streaming is great since you can read temperatures, positions, voltage, etc in real time.

There are resets for the following:
  • Oil Lamp
  • Brake ( I think this is electronic parking brake not on 997)
  • ETCS (throttle control?)
  • Steering Angle (Not sure abut this one)
The oil lamp reset has a manual and automatic mode. They both ask for the date when reseting.

The tool also has all of the standard OBDII readings such as O2 levels

The Bad

I still don't have an answer from iCarsoft on service interval reset. There isn't a menu item that is called service reset. I am told they are working on it.

Stay tuned

Many thanks for the update, am staying tuned. Bit naughty that they advertise the PORII as being able to do service reset when it cant (yet??)

Old 08-28-2015, 07:56 AM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
I have the durametric (enthu. version).... I have used it once to reset service reminder, once to run a DME, and once to check the battery life in my tire pressure sensors. I found a few codes set off and reset them. I have come to find that some codes will show but they have no meaning as far as anything being wrong and will re appear.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:41 AM
Wheeler is infamous around these parts
Just get the Durametric Pro version. Other than the upfront cost, you can always resell it for $100 less than you paid for it, even years later, and have a system that does the most. Not to mention many people and threads discussing different coding you can do.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:11 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Right, but Durametric still suffers that flaw of not being able to properly reset the oil & service intervals other than a hard reset to max-major-service interval (2 yrs/20kmi on a 997.2).

Old 09-02-2015, 06:26 AM
Bruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Wheeler
Just get the Durametric Pro version. Other than the upfront cost, you can always resell it for $100 less than you paid for it, even years later, and have a system that does the most. Not to mention many people and threads discussing different coding you can do.
I have the Durametric Pro for my 2009 C2s (997.2)... coupla comments:

1- Resetting service reminder. It does it, no big deal. I don't know why some folks consider this feature lacking in any way. It shows up, click, gone.
2 - I feel the Pro is a waste of money for the 997.2 as there is very little "coding" or reprogramming you can do. I recommend just getting the enthusiast model if you have a 997.2. Some features that folks like are already on in the 997.2 such as blinking side markers and coding such as auto-door locking is blocked if you don't have Sport Chrono (which you can do anyway from the PCM screen). The only coding I was able to do was the auto-down windows "comfort" from the key fob and that was really quirky to accomplish. I was able to eliminate the seat belt warning chime... but then my airbag light would blink and stay on longer at startup so this worried me... I reset it back although one poster said the airbag will continue to work as he had an accident to prove it. Others use the coding to say disable the tire pressure monitoring system or to eliminate the spoiler system to install a custom deck lid.... others use it for various track-related needs... I don't have these needs.
3 - Durametric, in general, famously lacks documentation, however there is a largish support group on these forums to help with most of your questions.
4 - Durametric does have decent error code descriptions. It will not tell you or even hint as to what to then do with the code, but they can be very good sometimes. I found three faults that would have cost me money with a trip to the dealer: 1) Door electrical fault (I swapped out speakers, but for some reason, the main electrical harness needed re-seating, 2) Gas cap failure... didn't seal so I ordered a new one, 3) Oil cap didn't seal... I goofed and "cross threaded" the oil cap.
5 - Durametric support is flaky. The USA guys are distributes and the first line of support and is weak. The product is actually written in South Africa by Hex http://www.hex.co.za/ . For my 2009 C2S, it would not read live values.... took about 9 months for then to fix the bug... I helped, they sent me debugging tools, I worked with them on the phone... etc. However, this is not to say another vendor would be better.
6 - Tracking live values can be an amazing tool for diagnosing problems. My indy, an ex-shop foreman from a P-dealer uses it. I just play with it (the Durametric that is). Check out this thread where I graphed temps. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...tric-data.html

Summary: As I understand it, these aftermarket diagnostic tools are all hacks. The authors are reverse-engineering manufacture's systems and as such, are going to be quirky and have a degree of bugs. I am not wedded to any one or Durametric in particular, but I recommend Durametric for only one reason: It appears to be the most popular tool discussed on these forums and therefore has the largest community for support..... you will need it.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce in Philly; 09-02-2015 at 06:29 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:52 PM
mblueracer is infamous around these parts
I did reset "service now" alert with icarsoft por ii

After reading pros/cons I selected iCarsoft POR II versus Durametric. It's a subjective choice. I think both are OK for my limited usage after all.
I have 997.2 C4S Coupe 2009 with ~22k miles.
I did change oil filters etc myself so I had to reset the "service now" message on dashboard when turning the ignition key.
I ordered on amazon and received the device 2 days later. I plug the USB power, system starts, I plug to OBD reader under steering wheel, ignition key one click and then I start analysis.
1) OBD menu analysis = no faults.
2) PORSCHE menu analysis. This is dedicated to PORSCHE as the model name POR II suggests... Again no faults. Even in automatic mode you have to sequentially go over all categories as described in older post above.
3) The OIL LAMP RESET menu. I select Automatic. Then PORSCHE model and year and go... The system asks for date and mileage but honestly it is cumbersome because the system is looping on same questions. I'll have to check with support. BUT the good news is the fact that the "service now" message is GONE.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:23 PM
911-targa4s is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the update on the POR II. I too did the Oil Lamp reset. It works fine.

What I am looking to do is the maintenance interval reset. I did the 40K maintenance early at 36K so I don't have any faults or reminders on my dash. I am hoping iCarsoft can update me on how to do the maintenance interval reset.

Does anybody have any experience with the maintenance interval reset? Do I have to wait until 40k to get a fault on my dash and only then can it be reset?

Thanks

Old 09-06-2015, 08:46 AM
I'm waiting answer from icarsoft support. I'd like to set mileage as well. Otherwise the bypass is indeed to reset whenever the message arrives.
I'm already OK with just the message off, mileage setting is the bonus feature for me.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:23 PM
Many thanks guys. This feedback us more promising toward the PORII. I was confused by the term "oil lamp reset" because on my cayman s (gen2), Its a "service now" dash message. What I am reading is that you guys have managed to make the "service now" message disappear with the PORII by selecting from the oil lamp reset menu. So all we need now is for carsoft to release a software upgrade to allow a service interval date or mileage to be set and were there.

Cheers.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:28 PM
PORII Oil Lamp Reset function removes "Service Now" message on 997.2 C4S 2009

I still wait on iCarsoft to tell me how to set mileage and/or date.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:40 AM
Excellent, thanks for the pictures. I have just ordered my icarsoft PORII from scantool.direct £139.00 inc VAT & delivery.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:56 AM
Mlv_250 is infamous around these parts
OBII Tools Durametric vs. iCarsoft

Before ordering, iCarsoft's recommends you obtain a legal authorization letter from the distributor you are purchasing from to avoid being sold a copy cat product...

http://www.icarsoft.com/web/icarsoft...4641uc7_1.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OBII Tools Durametric vs. iCarsoft