997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

OBII Tools Durametric vs. iCarsoft

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 04:09 AM
scoffbelly is infamous around these parts
Old 09-10-2015, 08:54 AM
9000RPM is a jewel in the rough9000RPM is a jewel in the rough9000RPM is a jewel in the rough
I contacted iCarSoft in regards to resetting the 2014 Cayenne. Support emailed me back last week and said it could.

I also found this list of compatible vehicles that could reset the oil service light and e-brake:

TYPE YEAR OIL BREAK
CAYENNE 2003-2014 YES YES ONLY (2011-14)
BOXSTER(987) 2005-2014 YES NO
CAYMAN 2005-2014 YES NO
911(997) 2005-2014 YES NO
PANAMERA 2009-2014 YES YES
911(991 2012-2014 YES NO

I took my car to an indy shop that reset the light for me but I will get one of these for next year's oil change and 20k(2yr) maintenance.

For the 997 it says no for the brake. Is it because you guys have a ebrake handle instead of being electric?

Old 09-12-2015, 05:50 AM
OK iCarsoft PORII delivered this morning, so downloaded latest software from icarsoft, all went ok. So on to reset my service interval.

All went ok, it asked me for year, month and day, so I keyed in the day I did my service which was 15 June 2015. then hit ok.

Reset all worked ok, but all settings like clock and average MPG all reset, but no big deal. Strangely I did get the message "drive off assist failure" come up just after reset, but suspect that's just a glitch as all works fine with no codes etc. and message gone.

I was hoping that by asking the date, it would reset the service to two years after the date input, but it says next service 19,900 miles and in 700 days, so exactly 2 years so not sure what the point of entering the date was, maybe that's a work in progress.

All in all happy as did the job and saved me the extra cost of buying the Durametric.

Last edited by scoffbelly; 09-12-2015 at 05:53 AM.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:26 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
So the PORII does the same crappy job the Durametric does - a hard reset on the engine computer which resets the interval to the major service amount 2yrs/20k-miles.

So thats a bust.

Why the F is this feature such an impossibility to get implemented - ie Why on earth does Porsche require a friggen PIWIS like device to properly set the oil/service interval/mileage? My 1994 VW Golf let me set it with buttons in the instrument cluster for pete's sake.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:48 AM
911-targa4s is infamous around these parts
Just heard from iCarsoft. They said they had intended to add service interval reset but have not added the function yet. They may add the function in the future but no guarantees. If they add it, it will be available as a free upgrade to the device.

To confirm, it does do the oil service reset, just not the major service interval reset.

Old 10-01-2015, 03:55 PM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
At least it seems that i car soft responds to customers. Durametric c service is the worst. I intend to get an Icar when things get sorted out. I hope they do so that these durametric guys wake up and realize they don't have monopoly

Old 10-04-2015, 01:54 PM
Bruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of light
Just curious... I've been reading this thread for a while....

I don't understand the apples to apples comparison with the Durametric. The two tools are very different with Durametric having a host of tools like commands to turn on fans and pumps etc, and record live values like ignition stuff.... Durametric is a serious diagnostic tool. Why the bashing? I do agree the product is not well supported, but it does work (full disclosure: when I got it, it would not read live values on my 2009 C2S and it took them almost a year to fix the bug).

Why is changing the service interval periods so important? I would think you would want to hook this up on occasion anyway to read the unreported codes (codes that won't light the lamp). And resetting the reminder takes all of three minutes to do.

I get it if all you want to do is reset the reminder... the Durametric is overkill for sure so I like the idea of a simpler and cheaper tool to do this. But does the iCarsoft report all the Porsche-specific codes with a nice library of explanations like Durametric? Sure, Durametric goes silent if you ask them questions beyond that description but then you are treading into skilled mechanic area anyway and do you expect them to teach you engine electronic diagnostics? It is just a tool.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Old 10-04-2015, 05:26 PM
mblueracer is infamous around these parts
I use Ross Tech for my GTI and used it also on my A3. And I wish it would work on my 997. I think this tool provides the simple and the more complex services at the same time. Now the dilemma for 997 owners who don't consult a mechanic at each occasion is to choose between 2 tools with some capabilities not that well documented and maintained. At least they exist and we have to take them as-is for what they deliver. And thanks to forums and previous users experiences shared, the new owners have less surprises.
I thank all contributors for their frank opinion. This is what I expect to read before taking a decision for myself.

Old 10-07-2015, 03:21 PM
9000RPM is a jewel in the rough9000RPM is a jewel in the rough9000RPM is a jewel in the rough
I was not happy when I found out that I need a special tool to reset a simple service reminder. Luckily, I found an indy shop that did it for me for free after I changed the oil in our 2014 Cayenne V6.

I was looking at a Durametric but for the price and limitation to only pcars, I passed on it. The Por II came up in my research and that's how I can across this thread, but that's the same situation as the Durametric.

After some more research, I came across the Launch X431 Diagun II. Check out the attached pdf for it's functions. I am looking to get one of these next year around July/August when I do my next oil change. It supports a lot of makes and models. I'm going to pop in from time to time on this thread but will definitely post a reply once I get it!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
1442192785535Porsche_21.10.pdf (419.6 KB, 692 views)
Old 10-07-2015, 04:09 PM
Wheeler is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Bruce in Philly
Just curious... I've been reading this thread for a while....

I don't understand the apples to apples comparison with the Durametric. The two tools are very different with Durametric having a host of tools like commands to turn on fans and pumps etc, and record live values like ignition stuff.... Durametric is a serious diagnostic tool. Why the bashing? I do agree the product is not well supported, but it does work (full disclosure: when I got it, it would not read live values on my 2009 C2S and it took them almost a year to fix the bug).

Why is changing the service interval periods so important? I would think you would want to hook this up on occasion anyway to read the unreported codes (codes that won't light the lamp). And resetting the reminder takes all of three minutes to do.

I get it if all you want to do is reset the reminder... the Durametric is overkill for sure so I like the idea of a simpler and cheaper tool to do this. But does the iCarsoft report all the Porsche-specific codes with a nice library of explanations like Durametric? Sure, Durametric goes silent if you ask them questions beyond that description but then you are treading into skilled mechanic area anyway and do you expect them to teach you engine electronic diagnostics? It is just a tool.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Agree 100%. I like my Durametric Pro for the reasons you stated. I pay it forward a lot and help my buddies and other P car owners with it whenever I can. Again, the cost of ownership is about $100 when or if you resell it. Nobody is going to pay $hit for that cheaper one. I also agree it's tough to part with that much money if you're not going to fully use it. As Bruce said, Durametric is a diagnostic tool that probably every Indy shop in the country uses.

Old 11-10-2015, 03:04 AM
As a person who does diy servicing for not only my Cayman S, but also my wife, son, daughter and a few friends cars. I just wanted a reliable tool that would reset my Cayman service reminder and also a generic OBD II reader tool for the other cars in my family etc. the Durametric tool is very expensive in the UK (see previous posts) and I don't need all the detailed functionality it offers. For 1/3 price of the lowest cost Durametric option. I have an excellent tool that covers all my OBD II needs, with the added bonus of being able to reset my Porsche service reminder and hopefully in the future, also set the major service mileage counter. If you are Porsche indy professional, sure the Durametric is a must, but for guys like me, The iCarsoft does all I want without spending more than I need.

Old 11-10-2015, 03:10 AM
Looks interesting

Old 11-26-2015, 11:26 AM
toy4two is infamous around these parts
rentel durametric

I think a better value until PORII is updated is to just rent a Durametric PRO off ebay for $89. You can reset lights but more importantly you can disable things like seat weight sensors or seat belt warnings for the track. 10 day rental to get everything dialed in then you shouldn't need it again for 2 years.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:34 PM
N2SPEED is infamous around these parts
Does the PORII have DME?

Will it show operating hours and over rev hx?

Old 03-05-2016, 08:01 AM
I bought the icarscan about two months ago. I posted a review in the Cayenne subforum. Forgot about this thread.

If interested, you guys can hop over there and take a look:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-icarscan.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OBII Tools Durametric vs. iCarsoft