997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 vs. 991

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2014 | 11:12 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ynot
Load of crap! Have you driven one? I think this is probably the most ignorant statement from anybody, especially car journalist. 99.9% of people out there will not be able to tell. It's precise and crisp, just asked Chris Harris.

Defensive much? I drove the 981 for a month, which supposedly has an even better electric steering than the 991 - and the steering was so numb I couldn't wait to give it back.

But don't take my word for it, let's ask Chris Harris (as you suggest), who commented:
Perhaps the most devising thing about this car [991] is the new power steering system. It's electric, not hydraulic. Okay, it's not the perfect steering system, and it does lose some of 'that feeling.'...it does lose something.

But wait you say, what about the 991 GT3? Here's what Road & Track said (and mind you, this is an advertisement-driven magazine, so they have to be careful what they write...)
Moving off, as you're focusing on the clutch engagement, something else grabs your attention: The steering snaps to life. This doesn't happen in a regular 911 [991], with which the GT3 shares its steering hardware. It took Preuninger's team more than two years of programming work before he was happy with the electrically assisted steering; he wanted the driver to feel everything the car's tie rods experience. This is doubly good news, as it means the GT3 has steering reminiscent of older Porsches, but it's also an indication that there's hope for the regular, numb-helmed 911 [991]. And the Boxster/Cayman twins, which use similar equipment.

And here's the best part:
Cruising at U.S.-highway speeds on Porsche's track, the GT3's steering isn't quite as talkative as that of a 997. Still, given how distant the steering in the base Carrera feels, it's a miracle that it talks at all.

If that's not a slap in the face to the 991's steering (even the 991 GT3 is inferior to the non-GT3 997), I don't know what is.

Last edited by gasongasoff; 11-04-2014 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-05-2014 | 12:06 AM
sandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Buddhamonk

sorry but you can't compare a turbo to a c2s. Not a fair comparison at all

Here's an apple to apple comparison
Which is why I added this:

Granted, the picture below has a 997 WB vs. a 991 NB but to my eyes it's amazing how they managed to neutralize so many of the sexy 997 curves of the rear end on the 991. Applies to the 4S version as well.
I still think your apples to apples picture shows how the rear of the 991 looks less "sculptured" than the 997. More bland if you will. Can't put my finger on exactly why but the roofline along with the hideous and clumsy looking rear bumper probably contribute.

Old 11-05-2014 | 01:17 AM
808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !
Apples to apples, yes! The 997S' rear end appears to have more character/personality than the 991S.

Originally Posted by Buddhamonk

sorry but you can't compare a turbo to a c2s. Not a fair comparison at all

Here's an apple to apple comparison

Old 11-05-2014 | 06:04 AM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
That pictures says it all. Your at a 997 post so expect to get all 997 praises. Try to post this at a 991 tread, i think you will hear reasons to choose the 991. Take note reasons to choose the 991. I love the 997.2 rear end.

Old 11-05-2014 | 07:45 AM
Wheeler is infamous around these parts
From a looks standpoint, the 991 needs the aero package to even be considered IMO. .2 cars, especially wide body cars are just so much better to look at in my eyes. Before I saw the 991 with a ducktail I didn't give it much thought, honestly thought they should have thrown some fried egg headlights on it to boot.

So many things stir our souls about these cars and so many reasons to drive one. I think just the fact you're HERE asking questions about it says you're not just some d-bag that wants to stroke a check for a cool car. On top of the sound and the driving experience you can read volumes on, I personally I enjoy having a slightly older car that's well cared for to take to cars and coffee, pca meets, etc. A manual GTS would be hard to go wrong on...money wise or style wise.

Old 11-05-2014 | 07:47 AM
9114Scab is infamous around these parts
I don't track or auto cross, maybe that is why I am so impressed with the 991. I actually like the electronic steering, go figure.

The 991 is actually faster than the 997, right? Porsche .com says the 991 Carrera S does a 3.8 0-60 with sport chrono, 997s can't do that with the sport chrono, can they??? That would be news to me.

The thing is , I fell in love with the 997, I have a 2012 4S cab, that I would not part with, but the 991 is awesome also.(just very different)

Old 11-05-2014 | 11:16 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Speaking of rear ends, I thought that my 996 C4S had a fantastic looking rear end... I actually like it better than my 997 TT rear end.

Old 11-05-2014 | 05:43 PM
dalancroft is infamous around these parts
A classmate of my daughter's has a 991 I see occasionally; it is sleek but just seems too big for a 911. Personally, I would go with a 2012 997.2S due to its classic styling, 400 hp engine, 7-speed manual (unless you're a PDK person) and electronically retractable windscreen (if a Cab; my wife's manual one is a PITA). Just my two silver nickels.

Old 11-05-2014 | 05:56 PM
rj5620 is infamous around these parts
I can't deny, I like big bu77s, my 2012 997 4S has a huge one and that is why I cannot lie.

Old 11-06-2014 | 11:04 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gasongasoff
Defensive much? I drove the 981 for a month, which supposedly has an even better electric steering than the 991 - and the steering was so numb I couldn't wait to give it back.

But don't take my word for it, let's ask Chris Harris (as you suggest), who commented:
Perhaps the most devising thing about this car [991] is the new power steering system. It's electric, not hydraulic. Okay, it's not the perfect steering system, and it does lose some of 'that feeling.'...it does lose something.

But wait you say, what about the 991 GT3? Here's what Road & Track said (and mind you, this is an advertisement-driven magazine, so they have to be careful what they write...)
Moving off, as you're focusing on the clutch engagement, something else grabs your attention: The steering snaps to life. This doesn't happen in a regular 911 [991], with which the GT3 shares its steering hardware. It took Preuninger's team more than two years of programming work before he was happy with the electrically assisted steering; he wanted the driver to feel everything the car's tie rods experience. This is doubly good news, as it means the GT3 has steering reminiscent of older Porsches, but it's also an indication that there's hope for the regular, numb-helmed 911 [991]. And the Boxster/Cayman twins, which use similar equipment.

And here's the best part:
Cruising at U.S.-highway speeds on Porsche's track, the GT3's steering isn't quite as talkative as that of a 997. Still, given how distant the steering in the base Carrera feels, it's a miracle that it talks at all.

If that's not a slap in the face to the 991's steering (even the 991 GT3 is inferior to the non-GT3 997), I don't know what is.
Sorry, we will agree to disagree, I own both and drive them both every week. The only feel you lose is the noise, the extra vibration, and every pebble on the road with the 997, to me, those are all flaws, not positives for a road car. Sure, great for the track but I prefer the electric steering for my everyday drive.

Old 11-06-2014 | 01:49 PM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
Gt qualities or sports car qualities. Those who bought the 911 as a gt/everyday car will surely like 991. MorE refined, comforatable, includes character of steering and ride. As the 911 moves forward, of course these refinements have to come. Looks wise 997 over 991 for me... Drive wise i am actually leaning more 991.

Old 11-06-2014 | 02:32 PM
stavros is infamous around these parts
All in on the 997 side versus the 991. The latest generation is just too big and while completely alone is clearly recognized as a 911, it simply does not have the lines and scale of the previous gen.

My goal is to move from my '08 C2S to a 997.2 GT3 but put the back seats back in for the occasional kid hauling.

Old 11-06-2014 | 03:36 PM
|
hikerneil is infamous around these parts
That is a great picture.

I must say I prefer the 997 from the rear, for a non-wide body.

Thanks.

Old 11-08-2014 | 07:30 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
I'll go one step further and say that I prefer the .1 gen rear to the .2 shown. Never cared for the "saggy diaper" tail lights. Both front and rear of the original design just seem cleaner to me.

Old 11-10-2014 | 07:18 AM
Volnomad is infamous around these parts
Sandwedge's picture paints a thousand words! Staring at the back of the 991 rear you can see that the over-sized bumper dominates the view. For me, it is the bumper that ruins the look, it is not balanced with the rest of the car. And, I'm not crazy about the linear horizontal divide either; it seems to draw even more attention to the oversized bumper. As Sandwedge says, it destroys the curvaceous lines of the previous generation.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 vs. 991