997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 vs. 991

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2015 | 01:00 PM
sandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by BLKPPR
I think the perfect Daily 911 is the 997.2 GTS.
I don't care for the steering on the 991. I like to feel every pebble.
I hate the rear of the 991. The counter sunk taillights don't look right to me. The size of the taillights is too small in relations to size of the rear bumper of the car. They just kind of get lost (I do like the LED treatment).

The rear horizontal line breaks up the cars historic smooth flow.
The side view mirrors, why for the love of all that is Holy would they stick them to the side of the door. It doesn't look right

One of the worst things they did was take the rear deck lid and cut it into the rear wheel arches. The 911 has always had a squarish engine cover that never cut into the rear fenders now they did this. I know when I wash my car one of my favorite lines is from the roof down the thin C pillar over the fenders and onto the lights. It's fluid. Now there is a great big slash in that

I like the more purpose built interior of the 997. The interior of the 991 is from a panamera, which I love in that vehicle. Just not sports car enough for me.

If my choice was any 997 GT3 or GTS or a new 991, I would choose the 997 variant every time.
Agreed. Another thing that ruins the rear of the 991 is the crease that runs between the tail lights. Since it also runs above those skinny tail lights instead of below there's not enough to break up all that bumper that follows and it just looks large and clumsy. Ugliest part of the car imo.

Old 05-20-2015 | 08:58 PM
retinasurgeon is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by gasongasoff
I think it's probably a matter of preference then. You're right about the missing "extra vibration" from the 981/991 steering. Personally, I want to feel the texture of the road, and I want the wheels to push back a little against me. When this extra vibration information is missing, some people (such as myself) interpret that as "numb." Other people don't miss it at all.

Now with regard to the heavier/stiffer feel, I'm going to have to disagree on this one. Having experienced the electric steering of the Panamera, Cayenne, and Cayman, each for several weeks, my impression was that the force required to rotate the steering wheels is far less on these cars than on my 997.2. It's especially evident at low speeds, when you could almost steering the car with the tip of your finger, whereas you still need to use a full grip on the 997. Are you sure something isn't wrong with your 997?
+1 to gassongasoff. Totally agreed. I love the steering feel of my 997, it feels directly connected to the road, and I have a much better sense of what the wheels are doing and the conditions of the road.

Old 05-21-2015 | 10:29 PM
JT9114S is a name known to allJT9114S is a name known to allJT9114S is a name known to allJT9114S is a name known to allJT9114S is a name known to allJT9114S is a name known to all
Love or hate the Design of the 991 (I have a 997 C4S) in my opinion the 991 C4S is a big improvement in terms of overall performance Which I got a chance to do a thorough test drive of on some winedy roads and there's a definite marked improvement over my 997 C4S. So when the time comes I'll definitely be getting one in a C4 GTS

Last edited by JT9114S; 01-31-2018 at 04:50 AM.
Old 12-27-2015 | 08:47 PM
ChiGuy1215 is infamous around these parts
E-Steering vs Hydraulic vs Rack Pinion

Originally Posted by Ynot
Load of crap! Have you driven one? I think this is probably the most ignorant statement from anybody, especially car journalist. 99.9% of people out there will not be able to tell. It's precise and crisp, just asked Chris Harris... But if I was in the market today. The 991 is my choice, it's newer, it's more comfortable, the interior is more modern, has more gadgets. It rides stiffer and more sporty, yes even with the electric steering, I do not need to feel every pebble on the road. The 997 will continue to depreciate unless it's GT3, the 991 will as well but not as much. Newer is almost always better IMO.
I think journalist have their own credibility to comment on cars versus the average owner. They actually drive and review for a living versus some gold-digger driving to a brunch party. The 991 does drive significantly different than a 997 which is different compared to say a E30, but the last comparison is not completely valid since these are different cars. I agree most people can't tell the difference and only care that their mobile jewelry impresses other folks. I agree the cabin is more comfortable in the 991 versus 997. I agree the steering is precise for most driving conditions.

The matter of feeling of every pebble or having more road sound is a personal choice. The choice of steering mechanism is also personal, and I have felt steering to be more numb over the many years. It's only been a concern as a feedback on higher speed turns, that don't happen on regular streets. That's why I settled on an older P car besides not taking the huge $$ hit. They all depreciate unless a low production model kept as a garage queen.

Old 12-28-2015 | 06:27 AM
Nine XI is infamous around these partsNine XI is infamous around these parts
I owned a 2006 997S which I traded three years ago for a 2013 991S. I recently tracked the 991 at Mid Ohio where I had also driven the older 997. Both were MT and otherwise stock cars. Conclusion was the 991 was much faster. Added HP, and, the Super Sport which did the auto-rev matching allowed better concentration on late-braking and driving the line. I was hitting about 10MPH faster coming out of turn 1 and on the back stretch. Both are Great cars but the 991 was a definite upgrade in my opinion...

Old 12-28-2015 | 11:23 AM
LPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to behold
The 991 size is still surprising. The interior to me is too targeted on the 'luxury' buyer. Bottomline for me : the 991 and 997 are both great rides but few ever use the potential. Casual touring is fun and track work is too. To me finding an empty road and aggressively pushing the 911 is the best. I love the scent that rises from the machine after a good workout.

Old 12-28-2015 | 04:40 PM
Gotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to behold
The 991.1 era has come to the end of NA engines, to me the best looking 991 is the Targa 4GTS. We must learn to accept technology advancement and truthfully 991 is a leap forward compare to 997 series. This topic has created so much controversial in every forum. Being a 997 owner, I must admit I would like to get into 991 Targa 4GTS one day. For now, I am keeping my 997.1TT forever

Old 12-29-2015 | 08:05 PM
PSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BLKPPR
Here is the rear trunk line. It has never cut into the rear fender. May be the most iconic part of the 911 series- the hips- now have a line across them. It's like a C- Section scar. Won't necesarily ruin the final product but sure wish it wasn't there.

Why was it necessary? Aftermarket wings will be goofy looking and it takes away from 50 years of design
BLKPPR, excellent comparison pictures! Thanks for those.

I agree that a sloping rear and uninterrupted flared fenders are iconic 911, and I really hope the artists at Stuttgart can bring back those classic curves and cut-lines to future versions of the 911.

Old 12-29-2015 | 08:06 PM
PSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sandwedge
Agreed. Another thing that ruins the rear of the 991 is the crease that runs between the tail lights. Since it also runs above those skinny tail lights instead of below there's not enough to break up all that bumper that follows and it just looks large and clumsy. Ugliest part of the car imo.
The "lip" or "crease" on the rear is for aerodynamic purposes. It will create more turbulence and result in less drag. (Counter intuitive, but true). This will also have the effect of reducing lift at speeds where the spoiler is not raised.

Last edited by PSPorsche; 12-29-2015 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-29-2015 | 09:39 PM
sandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by PSPorsche
The "lip" or "crease" on the rear is for aerodynamic purposes. It will create more turbulence and result in less drag. (Counter intuitive, but true). This will also have the effect of reducing lift at speeds where the spoiler is not raised.
I take your word for that but what's the practical application for it? The spoiler pops at 77mph and leaves the lip/crease below with no real function at that point. So they ruined the look of what's perhaps the most iconic rear end of any sports car ever to reduce lift at speeds below77mph? If that's critical, why didn't they just lower the speed of the automatic spoiler deployment?

Old 12-30-2015 | 09:52 AM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Gotgolf52
The 991.1 era has come to the end of NA engines, to me the best looking 991 is the Targa 4GTS. We must learn to accept technology advancement and truthfully 991 is a leap forward compare to 997 series. This topic has created so much controversial in every forum. Being a 997 owner, I must admit I would like to get into 991 Targa 4GTS one day. For now, I am keeping my 997.1TT forever

As they will all be turbo s soon, I think the NA motors(997) will be looked at like the air cooled s are now. (Someday)
I have driven both the 991 and my 997.s... More refinement in the 991 which make some like it and others hate it. Making a Porsche faster and smoother doesn t translate to" better" for many... why would anyone then want an air cooled , get my point???
It seems the bottom line is how and where you use your car IMO.

Old 12-30-2015 | 10:42 AM
markj is a jewel in the roughmarkj is a jewel in the roughmarkj is a jewel in the roughmarkj is a jewel in the rough
At least they omitted the bumperettes in the 991 ! Good riddance!

Old 01-31-2016 | 04:40 PM
cayenneturbolakem is infamous around these parts
I heard great things about the 991. Could get one but not interested. Completely satisfied with my 997.1 and 996.2 4S's. Generally, as the models get newer they are better and better. As watercooled created a far superior 911 to the aircooled. The 991 created far superior technologies to make anyone that steps into the 911 a great driver LMAO.

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Seriously? Granted, the picture below has a 997 WB vs. a 991 NB but to my eyes it's amazing how they managed to neutralize so many of the sexy 997 curves of the rear end on the 991. Applies to the 4S version as well. Especially since the width of the cars haven't changed. Of all the 991's I've seen so far I think the GT3 is the best looking package, even though I'm not a fan of big wings. Maybe the 991 needs a wing on the back end to break up the semi station wagon look.

Old 01-31-2016 | 04:42 PM
cayenneturbolakem is infamous around these parts
I also just like the lines on a 997 vs the 991.

Old 01-31-2016 | 05:26 PM
R.ROBOT is infamous around these parts
Really depends on what you want from the car.

I drove the 991 GTS, and felt I was in a version of a Porsche.
Also drove a 997.2 GT3, great fun and raw.
Then a 997.2 GTS, very impressed with its balance and drive.

I had owned a '69 912 5speed coupe, great fun.
A '70 911t coupe also fun.
Also a '72 911t targa great fun too.

So coming from older cars and having not owned a Porsche since the early '80's, I found what for me was the perfect purchase.

2011 GTS C2, very few made with a manual and for me the best of and last 911.

So try them out and take a shot.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 vs. 991