997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Bluetooth + Aux + USB interface to PCM - Dension Gateway 500S BT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 08:02 PM
Yaredna is infamous around these parts
Bluetooth + Aux + USB interface to PCM - Dension Gateway 500S BT

Recap of a long story, that some of you have followed over the past few months in multiple post. Trying to summarize my findings and the current status in a new thread.

Goal: connect an iPhone to a PCM2.1/Bose. Ideally: ability to do bluetooth audio, bluetooth phone, have an auxiliary port (3.5mm for legacy products), USB flash drive and ability to direct connect the iPhone via USB-Lightning cable

Results achieved: all the above. The audio quality, particularly with the USB-Lightning interface, is rock solid. Full spectrum, as compared with a truncated bandwidth with FM-Modulator solutions.

Points that could be improved: the user interface of the PCM2.1 sucks. Dension tries its best to use existing interface (it is a hack, after all). Once you get used to it, it works. However, not user friendly.

------------

Details:

Installation tips - connected to unswitched power (always on), using splitters to "steal" power from the PCM2.1 connector. Installed behind the PCM2.1 (lot of space). MOST (optic) cable installation tricky, follow the instructions carefully. The loop must be closed, otherwise nothing works. Lot of video on YouTube showing how to dismount the PCM2.1, and so forth. Installed the breakout gateway in the glovebox, hidden from direct sight (top left corner of glove box). DIP switches: followed the instructions provided by Eric from BumperPlugs carefully, and it worked. If the error "CD-Changer press enter", take it to your Porsche dealer, and using their PIWIS took, they should disable the CDC (Eric will provide the exact instructions to give to your dealer. Expect $80-$100 for this reprogramming).

Past issue #1 - Bluetooth stack crashes. Every other trip, the unit needed to be reset. Firmware 0056 fixed it. Should work out of the gate with firmware 0056. This issue was prevalent among many users.

Past issue #2 - Connecting an iPhone to the breakout box using a USB-Lightning cable will trigger an 5second continuous switching between the auxiliary input and the iPod interface, interrupting playback. Firmware version 0057 fixed that issue (that software is still in Beta, ask Eric about it if needed). This issues used to be very rare (I was the only one reporting it consistently).

Eric from BumperPlugs has been my interface during the soul searching. I am glad I purchased from him. For a while, it appeared that Dension as a company was not listening to him, as he raised the issues to headquarters. Finally, the management team at Dension decided to invest in additional resources dedicated to fixing legacy issues, and the results were firmware 0056 and 0057 within weeks. if it wasn't for Eric's insistence with Dension's management, who knows if the issues would have been resolved.

Right now, I am using the system with either an iPhone 5 or an iPhone 6 Plus, and both are working fine. The audio quality with bluetooth is excellent. The audio quality with the USB-Lightning interface is outstanding.

PM-me if you have questions.

PS - I was very critical of Eric in my previous posts...the frustration of being blamed for a poor installation when the issues were obviously related... if, for a nanosecond, you thought this post was an advertisement for him, go back and search my previous acidic posts. Enough said!

Old 11-25-2014, 11:44 PM
Miami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud of
Did you do the installation, or have it done locally in Miami? Do you mind sharing your total cost, beyond the Dension unit? Thanks for the info.

Old 11-26-2014, 03:50 AM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the writeup....and it was our pleasure to help get this resolved. Very sorry there was a lapse. Again, wish we could have resolved this earlier, but hopefully the updated firmware will keep things smooth.

For those considering the 500SBT, we are going to offer up a quick 'deal' for this holiday week.

Details here:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4243484

(new orders only, starts today, ends Sunday)

Last edited by Eric (Plug Guy); 11-26-2014 at 03:55 AM.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:41 AM
Originally Posted by Miami4me
Did you do the installation, or have it done locally in Miami? Do you mind sharing your total cost, beyond the Dension unit? Thanks for the info.
I purchased the unit directly from BumperPlugs (Eric). Online. The price is n their website. I did the installation. It took about two hours, because i went slowly to ensure every step. Cost of installation: splitters from Radioshack (<$5), a couple of screws and nuts to secure the breakout box in the Glove compartment.

You may need to add the cost of a trip to a Porsche dealer (I took mine to ForeignAffair Motorspors, ask for Jared). They'll reprogram the CDC changer if needed. Cost approx $50-$150 depending on what else they're doing to your car.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:07 AM
djdevvydev is infamous around these parts
Hi Yaredna.- thanks for the follow up on this. I'm considering both the Denison and the Mobridge, had ruled out the Denison but I'm considering it again given your report that the bugs have been squashed. I wonder if you could provide a little more info though.

You said the UI takes some getting used to. How does it work exactly? In particular how is the USB drive for MP3 files implemented? Does that replace the CD changer functionality? How do you navigate thru folders?

Similarly, does the phone functionality replicate the stock phone? Can you use the number pad to dial and the connect/disconnect buttons? How about the contact directory, does that work?

I hope you don't mind all the questions but you're the best source I can find!

Thanks -
DJD

Old 12-06-2014, 04:28 AM
Originally Posted by djdevvydev
You said the UI takes some getting used to. How does it work exactly? In particular how is the USB drive for MP3 files implemented? Does that replace the CD changer functionality? How do you navigate thru folders?
Hi DJD,
There are YouTubevideoshowing exactly how it works. It replaces the CDC. To change options, you select disc 6. To navigate the menu, you use the arrows of the keypad. A long press forward to go deeper in the menu. A long press backward to go up a menu level. Same with folders. If you have a thousand MP3 in your folder, expect the loading of that folder to go slow. If you are serious about using a MP3 USB disk, consider creating playlists before using it. Otherwise, I'd recommend instead usting iTunes/Pandora on your iPhone or Android. The interface of these devices is easier and safer to use while driving. Or purchase an external MP3 player and keep it in your glove box instead.

Originally Posted by djdevvydev
Similarly, does the phone functionality replicate the stock phone? Can you use the number pad to dial and the connect/disconnect buttons? How about the contact directory, does that work
I remember that i tried the keypad once, and it worked. Similarly, if you have numbers on the phone directory of the PCM, it works too. I have not tried todownload my iPhone contacts to the PCM (i have more than 2000 contacts, mostly business, i an sure that the PCM is not designed to navigate thousands of contacts, so i did not even try. Connect/disonnect buttons: yes, they work.

In summary, I rely heavily of the interface on the iPhone for navigation (mostly Waze), music (mostly Pandora and iTunes), and phone (siri or favorites on the iPhone). Sound quality to my ears: very very good on bluetooth, excellent on Aux, and the best that you could drive these bose speaker is through the USB connection (USB-lightning cable for iPhone).

Hope this helps!

Old 12-08-2014, 10:01 AM
OldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond repute
I have far fewer than 2000 phone contacts on my iPhone 6, but those that I do have download into and are visible on the PCM screen. Also, phone calls can be answered and disconnected using the lower left stalk (the options show up where tire pressure, etc, shows up when a call comes in).

Old 12-08-2014, 01:12 PM
djdevvydev is infamous around these parts
Yaredna - just wanted to say thanks very much for the detail! This was very helpful. Still on the fence between the Denison and the Mobridge but now I have a much better idea of what the Denison can do. Thanks again.

DJD