997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

100 octane race fuel worth the price?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 12:12 PM
s4alex is infamous around these parts
I don't run it straight.

I have run it on my bike and my Audi (B5 TT). Both of those made a big difference.

On the P, I only run some 100 to clean out the gas a little or to average out the OCT of the 91 so that I may have a rating of closer to what the car wants.

I don't do it all the time, only when I am close by to woodside.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:28 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by the997dude
There was another thread recently that went on a tangent about high octane fuel. There's a gas station in my area that has 100 octane race fuel so I figured I'd give it a shot. I knew it was pricy but I was not expecting it to be so expensive ! It's difficult to see in the pic but it's $8.99 a gallon. So I didn't pull the trigger yet. ...
Is that gas station near 101 and 92? I wonder how fresh is that gas? I'm sure the gas station owner knows.

Old 02-10-2015, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by adias
Is that gas station near 101 and 92? I wonder how fresh is that gas? I'm sure the gas station owner knows.

There are only a few 100 oct unleaded pumps in the area... the ones that I know of:

1. 76 On woodside road. In between 101 and 280, used to be close to where Doc Wong had his office before he moved. For those that ride.
2. 76 In San Jose, Almaden 76 & Race Fuel. 3010 Almaden Expressway
3. Sears point. No, not Infineon. It will always be Sears Point.

The 76 on woodside is more than likely pretty fresh as I know it is used often by bike and cars alike and it is a good fill up on the way to the hills.

Last edited by s4alex; 02-10-2015 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:26 PM
bongoboyla is infamous around these parts
Octane ratings are related to detonation temperature and nothing else. High-octane isn't any "better" or "worse" than low-octane, it just means that the fuel ignites at a higher temperature to avoid premature detonation in high-compression engines.

So unless you have a high-compression engine -- either a turbo with a high-boost map, or an aggressive timing map -- you'll just be wasting your money or worse, not getting a complete burn of your fuel which leaves carbon in the motor and reduces fuel economy.

The rule of thumb is that you need to run only as high an octane as is necessary to avoid knocking (premature detonation)

Old 02-10-2015, 04:31 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by s4alex
There are only a few 100 oct unleaded pumps in the area... the ones that I know of:

1. 76 On woodside road. In between 101 and 280, used to be close to where Doc Wong had his office before he moved. For those that ride.
2. 76 In San Jose, can't remember exactly where, but its there.
3. Sears point.

The 76 on woodside is more than likely pretty fresh as I know it is used often by bike and cars alike and it is a good fill up on the way to the hills.
Thanks! The Woodside Rd 76 station website HERE.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:51 PM
Thanks! The Woodside Rd 76 station website HERE.
Cool. I updated the list with the San Jose location.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by bongoboyla
Octane ratings are related to detonation temperature and nothing else. High-octane isn't any "better" or "worse" than low-octane, it just means that the fuel ignites at a higher temperature to avoid premature detonation in high-compression engines.

So unless you have a high-compression engine -- either a turbo with a high-boost map, or an aggressive timing map -- you'll just be wasting your money or worse, not getting a complete burn of your fuel which leaves carbon in the motor and reduces fuel economy.

The rule of thumb is that you need to run only as high an octane as is necessary to avoid knocking (premature detonation)

This is very true.

On my Audi, it loves it. Can't get enough. The turbos and the tune.. gets me a roid rage AWD monster..

My ZX6R, likes it also.. hi compression rice rocket.. Also tuned slightly.

When I had my Monster, it HATED hitest. If I put anything over the 87 that it called for, it would tard like a suma*****.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:31 PM

Right. ECU-controlled Porsche engines run fine on 91 and up. However, the engine maps are optimized for 93. So, I suppose a blend bringing up the octane rate to 93 should be ideal. That means 3.5-4 gallons of 100/101 on a 16 gallon tank.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:37 PM
Right. ECU-controlled Porsche engines run fine on 91 and up. However, the engine maps are optimized for 93. So, I suppose a blend bringing up the octane rate to 93 should be ideal. That means 3.5-4 gallons of 100/101 on a 16 gallon tank.
I'll have to try that at my next DE. I always run 91 from Shell or Chevron. The track has race gas.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:27 PM
I'll have to try that at my next DE. I always run 91 from Shell or Chevron. The track has race gas.
Just make sure the high-octane offering is unleaded...

Old 02-10-2015, 08:01 PM
Just make sure the high-octane offering is unleaded...
Hah! Yeah.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:06 PM
ato911 is infamous around these parts
I used to fill a couple of gallons of 100 octane @ around $15 a gallon. After not noticing a big difference in the performance, I stopped and started to add 100 ethanol. The engine sound and performance with the 100 ethanol is much better than the 100 octane and way less per gallon.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by ato911
I used to fill a couple of gallons of 100 octane @ around $15 a gallon. After not noticing a big difference in the performance, I stopped and started to add 100 ethanol. The engine sound and performance with the 100 ethanol is much better than the 100 octane and way less per gallon.
Adding ethanol above the E-10 level may be asking for trouble.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:06 AM
vegaseric is infamous around these parts

This needs to be quoted again... great information.

And even if your car/bike is "tuned", unless it is tuned specifically for 100 octane this gas will not make a difference. Matter of fact, your car will probably run worse. 99% of street cars will run their best on the grade of fuel specified by the manufacturer.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:11 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !

Uh, not exactly.

Octane is related to how well the fuel is at *resisting* forming pre-ignition compounds in front the advancing flame front.

The fuel ignites as soon as the flame front reaches the tiny droplets of fuel surrounded by air. The fuel burns at the same speed. High octane gasoline is kind of like dynamite in that it is hard to ignite but once ignited burns very quickly.

In the context of this discussion the OP was asking about 100 racing fuel and whether is worth running. As I mentioned in my earlier post racing fuel has benefits above and beyond its higher octane rating. Whether the cost of the fuel and the benefits one notices is worth it can only be determined by the driver of the car, with the caveat the fuel be safe to use with modern engines and their O2 sensors and converters.

However, I seriously doubt the OP would find that much improvement to make the $8.99/gallon price acceptable, at least on the street. If he did we would have heard about it and we'd all be using at various times.

On the track again while there is the benefit of the higher octane -- granted 100 octane is way above what the engine is tuned to need/use but better to use too much octane on the track than too little -- there is also the benefit of the way the fuel burns especially at higher RPMs were track engines spend most of their time.

Comparison tests of gasolines including racing gasoline have confirmed this. IOWS, it is *racing* fuel.

I use 91 octane in both my Porsches. This is really all that is available where I live and drive and while there might be a station still out in Tracy that carries 100 octane I am not ready to spend God only knows how much over the $2.999/gallon I spent today filling up one of my cars' gas tank even if the station was right next door.

With 91 octane the engines run ok. But I have also run at least one engine, the Turbo engine, on 93 octane. The engine really reacts favorably to 93 octane. This makes sense as this is the octane the engine was deisgned/intended to use.

Now for the Boxster, some years ago just before a smog test I ran the fuel tank down real low and put 6 gallons of 100 octane racing fuel in the fuel tank. This was a station located in Tracy CA.

With 6 gallons of 100 octane racing gas in the tank I then took the car out where I could really accelerate the car hard through the gears and noticed no change for better ( or worse ) in the way the engine ran. I also drove the car more sedately around town and on the freeway and again I couldn't notice any difference.

Once back to Livermore the engine passed smog just fine but it had passed smog just fine on 91 octane gasoline before and since, too, so the 100 octane didn't help in that regard.

Even so, I would use 100 octane on the track. I would not worry too much about trying to blend it with 91 to get right at 93 but would just put in enough 100 octane fuel in the tank to ensure the average octane rating was at least 93 (and a bit higher is not a bad idea for as an engine ages its octane requirements goes up) and enough fuel in the tank to ensure the engine would have plenty of fuel during the session and on the way home or at least enough fuel to get me to a gas station that sold something less exotic than 100 octane racing fuel.

IOWs, on the track I would run as close as I could get to 100% 100 octane racing fuel in order to derive the full benefits of the *racing* fuel over and above the benefit arising from the very real benefit of the higher octane rating.

Last edited by Macster; 02-14-2015 at 04:15 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 100 octane race fuel worth the price?