997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

What oil do you guys use to fill up??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 06:14 PM
Size is infamous around these parts
Multiple dealers recommend consistently 0w-40 (NY Metro area), or as a sub 5w-40. 0w-40 is preferred.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:02 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Gcalo
You have a dry sump system which means oil is stored in a resevoir not in the "oil pan".

You have also a cooler and lines which run up front. And there is a oil thermostat similar to your radiator thermostat which only opens when the oil comes up to temperature, and it will do so until the oil comes to full temp wherein it will stay open..

So all of that has to warm up. All of that!

Think of this before you do a 1 mile drive and realize the long-term damage you are doing.
Who has a dry sump? No one w a 997/997S has a dry sump. On the right board?

Old 10-28-2008, 08:22 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
... Full operating temps are important. Make sure you attain them every time you drive it.
Exactly! When I start an engine cold (Summer or Winter) I always let it idle at least a couple of minutes and then ease out from there. I never rev over 4k before the oil reaches op temp. Cooling off after spirited drives is essential too.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:42 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by CorruptedSanity
Can I top off with other oils?

It just occurred me to that ive topped off my 997 TT twice in 1 month since getting it with Mobile 1 0w-40 and do not know what was initially in there. Im guessing probably 0w-40. Im convinced that 5w-40 may be better in this because in the dead of winter it will only go as low as 59 F! and as high as 130 F in summer.

So without knowing whats in my oil tank and having topped off twice - each time with about 0.2 US quarts - with 0w-40, can I begin topping off with 5w-40?
You can top off 0/40 with 5/40 and visa versa with no problem.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:43 PM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Gpjli
Who has a dry sump? No one w a 997/997S has a dry sump. On the right board?
I doubt 10+ quarts of oil are sitting in that sump!

Old 10-28-2008, 09:54 PM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
Here ya go guys. You learn something new every day:

Porsche 997 Carrera S LubricationIntegrated dry sump

Read it for yourselves: http://www.356-911.com/post1974/mode...sguide/997.htm

No engine today of that magnatude and with that much oil in the resevoir can be a wet sump!

i am sure there are plenty other areas that identify this.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:14 PM
Michael2364 is infamous around these parts
Umm yes,it is.The pan is apparantly the "internal dry sump tank" in the Porsche world. There are no external oil sumps on a 996/997 series. If you actually look at it, its a wet sump system with multiple oil pumps to move the oil to the various systems.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:11 PM
CorruptedSanity is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Gpjli
You can top off 0/40 with 5/40 and visa versa with no problem.

I thought they would not mix because of different thickness levels.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:23 PM
I thought they would not mix because of different thickness levels.
Lighter is better for lubrication and for cooling.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:40 PM
CorruptedSanity is infamous around these parts
Gcalo, yes I understand 0w will warm up faster than 5w but can I top off a tank thats got 0w-40 in it with 5w-40 or not.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:58 AM
Gcalo, yes I understand 0w will warm up faster than 5w but can I top off a tank thats got 0w-40 in it with 5w-40 or not.
That should not be a problem.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:13 PM
The designation "wet sump", "dry sump" is not based on how much oil sits in the return lines when the engine is shut off. Michael above is quite correct. Engines based on the old M1 block, most recently the GT3 3.6 liter, are truly dry sump in that their oil is held in separate tanks and not in the sump. This allows the engine to lubricate better under the centrifugal forces of race track conditions. Carrera 996/997 engines have a true sump under the engine. All the new engines will do away w the dry sump and use an improved wet system as I understand it. Better to acknowledge a mistake than try to bluster your way through it imo. Gerry

Last edited by Gpjli; 10-29-2008 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:56 PM
Gerry

Thanks for clarifying that issue.

It appears the porsche is taking a different manufacturing direction to save manufacturing $'s!

Apprecaite the update.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:58 PM
ATL
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
So for the record, is it a necessary to let the car warm up before driving it off from a cold start? Even if you keep the RPM's below 3,000 rpm until it warms up? I never push the car until it's warm, but I'll drive 30-60 seconds after I start the car up. After it's warm I have to give it some gas to remind myself as to why I bought this car.

TIA for the help!

Old 10-29-2008, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by ATL-Porsche
So for the record, is it a necessary to let the car warm up before driving it off from a cold start? Even if you keep the RPM's below 3,000 rpm until it warms up? ---
If you want to ensure that you have no valve, ring, and seal problems absolutely yes.

Low RPM's when cold will not extend engine life as much as a warm up to ensure good oil flow.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What oil do you guys use to fill up??