997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

What oil do you guys use to fill up??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 09:12 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Lets get this right. Cold start:

The car warms up faster when driven. Long idle time is NOT recommended. Start the car. Put it in gear. If cold you can wait a few seconds if it makes you feel better. You will have oil pressure very quickly. Drive off. Keep it under 4000rpm until you have 170-175 of oil temperature. This is the procedure to follow.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:47 PM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Gpjli
The car warms up faster when driven. Long idle time is NOT recommended. Start the car. Put it in gear. If cold you can wait a few seconds if it makes you feel better. You will have oil pressure very quickly. Drive off. Keep it under 4000rpm until you have 170-175 of oil temperature. This is the procedure to follow.
It is quite obvious that your understanding of mechanics is quite limited.

Your "advice" is by far the worst you could suggest to anyone.

Are you aware that engine oil is heated before it is put into race cars just before a race? You think there is a beneficial purpose in doing this.

My advice to others: "don't do as he suggest"!

Last edited by Gcalo; 10-29-2008 at 09:50 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:27 AM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
One of the dangers of message boards is that people without knowledge feel free to give advice. This is one such fellow. An engine warms fastest driven under light load. Idling prolongs the warmup time and results in more oil contamination. If you have doubts here you might read the manual. If you have the option of removing your oil, warming it, and refilling your motor go right ahead. Letting the car sit and idle has no such positive effect. The goal is to reach constant engine temperature and warm the oil to operating temperature as quickly as possible. This is done by driving under light load as advised. Gcalo you really need to stop this for the sake of you car, if you have one, and for the sake of those who have come to depend on this site for knowledgeable advise. Gerry

Old 10-30-2008, 10:31 AM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
--- Gcalo you really need to stop this for the sake of you car, if you have one, and for the sake of those who have come to depend on this site for knowledgeable advise.
I don't appreciate your ignorant comments!

You do it your way; I do it mine.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:37 AM
Steve W is a jewel in the roughSteve W is a jewel in the roughSteve W is a jewel in the rough
I would not go with Redline oil anymore. It used to be one of the best, but has been reformulated in the last year to meet the current SM specifications, which limit the key anti wear components of Pn and Zn to 0.08%, which have been shown to cause severe cam and lifter wear in the earlier 911 motors. They also have added a bit too much Ca detergent package, used to extend drain intervals, but accelerates engine wear.

If cost is no object, Motul 300V 5w40 is one of the best, and not reformulated to meet current starburst specifications. It's only a couple of dollars more than Redline.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:45 AM
ATL
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, so now I'm thoroughly confused. 2 people with exact opposite opinions. I know my car won't blow up and die if I do this wrong, but what is the right answer?

Old 10-30-2008, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by ATL-Porsche
Wow, so now I'm thoroughly confused. 2 people with exact opposite opinions. I know my car won't blow up and die if I do this wrong, but what is the right answer?
If you still don't get it, RTFM (read the f*ing manual) The answer is there. Wow. I give up.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:38 PM
Listen up!

Originally Posted by ATL-Porsche
God help me. Last chance for you: pg 82 STARTING THE ENGINE. "be ready to drive immediately. Drive at moderate speeds.Avoid engine speeds above 4200 rpm during first 5 minutes. DO NOT LET THE ENGINE IDLE TO WARM UP" What do you not get? I don't believe this.

Last edited by Gpjli; 10-30-2008 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:46 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Gcalo
I don't appreciate your ignorant comments!

You do it your way; I do it mine.

Gcalo, think about this. We are not driving race cars here.

If I was driving an F1 car that I'm expecting the engine to last at most a few weeks, then sure, I might go through such crazy moves such as prewarming oil.

These are sports cars, but they are road sports cars.

Idling needlessly is dumb. It wastes fuel, pollutes needlessly, and as mentioned, does not give the great oil warming benefit you describe.

Start the car, and keep it in the lower revs and power demand until the oil and engine is up to temp. Thats it. The car is designed to drive like that.

Porsche puts 0w40 in the car at the factory. Why do you think that is? Do you think they are all stupid engineers over there? They know just as you and I that very few customers live where its 0 F most of the time in the winter.

I have no doubt that running 5w40 and prewarming or idling the engine may be useful in some scenarios. I doubt, however that a normal street driven automobile, Porsche included, is going to benefit form that sort of regimen.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:52 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
God help me. Last chance for you: pg 82 STARTING THE ENGINE. "be ready to drive immediately. Drive at moderate speeds.Avoid engine speeds above 4200 rpm during first 5 minutes. DO NOT LET THE ENGINE IDLE TO WARM UP" What do you not get? I don't believe this.

Gpjli, I feel your pain. Breath, have some scotch and unwind. Its all good.

There are those that believe there is a giant conspiracy by car makers to recommend that you drive your car and change your oil (and use oils that facilitate this)... in a way to minimize the service that the makers have to provide, while ensuring the engine lasts just long enough to get out of warranty before it blows up.

Then there are those that just don't believe the manufacturer of any product.

Its like a religious debate.. there is no winner, just participants who all have higher blood pressure at the end of the discussion.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by Minok
Gpjli, I feel your pain. Breath, have some scotch and unwind. Its all good.

There are those that believe there is a giant conspiracy by car makers to recommend that you drive your car and change your oil (and use oils that facilitate this)... in a way to minimize the service that the makers have to provide, while ensuring the engine lasts just long enough to get out of warranty before it blows up.

Then there are those that just don't believe the manufacturer of any product.

Its like a religious debate.. there is no winner, just participants who all have higher blood pressure at the end of the discussion.
Thanks. I was beginning to think this thread only existed in the Twilight Zone. ;-) Gerry

Old 10-30-2008, 06:13 PM
carrera mike is a jewel in the roughcarrera mike is a jewel in the roughcarrera mike is a jewel in the roughcarrera mike is a jewel in the rough
Oil pressure testing sim for Nurburgring
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfuleS9rnzc