997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Experiencing a loud snapping noise when sunroof

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 11:04 AM
ACRB is infamous around these parts
Experiencing a loud snapping noise when sunroof

is opened or closed, I’ve looked at the tracks and they seem smooth and clean. so is the plastic wind deflector. ……..any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 08-13-2015, 05:04 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
When I had this problem it turned out to be the roof catching on one of the seals. It (the seal) finally broke and the roof jammed. This necessitated the removal of the roof and replacement of the seal that runs around the opening and the one at the rear of the roof. Cost close to 1grand, mostly labor. I had dealer do it because I was concerned about rattles and leaks were it not done right. If the one of or both of the pulleys break add 1700$ to the bill because they have to replace the whole rail/carriage assembly. There are no replaceable parts, as unbelievable as that sounds. I'd stop using it and get it fixed now if I were you.

Old 08-13-2015, 05:37 PM
ACRB is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Gpjli
When I had this problem it turned out to be the roof catching on one of the seals. It (the seal) finally broke and the roof jammed. This necessitated the removal of the roof and replacement of the seal that runs around the opening and the one at the rear of the roof. Cost close to 1grand, mostly labor. I had dealer do it because I was concerned about rattles and leaks were it not done right. If the one of or both of the pulleys break add 1700$ to the bill because they have to replace the whole rail/carriage assembly. There are no replaceable parts, as unbelievable as that sounds. I'd stop using it and get it fixed now if I were you.
That sounds like a bad joke! So, the good news is that it could cost a grand, the bad news is that it could be closer to 3K? Amazing..... I very rarely use the sunroof, I wonder if that has something to do with it?

Old 08-13-2015, 07:25 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
No joke. Labor intensive job. The origional estimate was for 2700$ Then I was told I was lucky, didn't need to replace rack and carriage. Heh heh.That part goes for 1400 on Suncoast btw. Turned out to be 100 or so for seals and 5+ hours labor. I bit the bullet. Really miss the roof for ventilation and I felt safer letting them do it.

If it breaks and jams you could have water coming in the top. No rattles but I agree it's crazy money. My indie said he used to do a lot of repairs on older cars. Probably coulda saved some money but...

Good luck

Old 08-14-2015, 12:03 PM
nwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond repute
This happened to me. The roof gasket/seal came loose and jammed my sunroof when trying to close it. Dealer fixed it under warranty but there was a snapping noise that persisted as you describe that was the thin aluminum sunroof cover panel that has the alcantara liner catching on the scissor mechanism that opens the sunroof. I have an appointment to get it replaced next week (took 4 weeks to get the part from Germany since they had to fabricate it). Hopefully the snapping noise goes away.

Yes, they quoted me around $2k if this was not under warranty. Almost all labor costs.