997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Does anyone know if there is a way to disable XM Radio on PCM 2.1?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 09:52 AM
carlosah is infamous around these parts
Does anyone know if there is a way to disable XM Radio on PCM 2.1?

I have removed the satellite radio from my car as I have no use for it. It all works fine with the exception that the PCM 2.1 gives “Satellite radio not found” at start up. Does anyone know if there is a way for the PCM 2.1 to ignore the missing satellite radio and boot up without the message. Surely not all cars came with satellite radioso should be possible, right? Does it need PIWIS or Durametric to disable?

Old 08-27-2015, 10:13 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by carlosah
I have removed the satellite radio from my car as I have no use for it. It all works fine with the exception that the PCM 2.1 gives “Satellite radio not found” at start up. Does anyone know if there is a way for the PCM 2.1 to ignore the missing satellite radio and boot up without the message. Surely not all cars came with satellite radioso should be possible, right? Does it need PIWIS or Durametric to disable?
Is it aftermarket - I didn't think that satellite radio was an OEM option for cars with PCM 2.1. If aftermarket you may have to contact the vendor.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the response jhbrennan. XM radio comes in a form of a module situated on the trunk made by AC Delco. It is a Porsche part is 7L5 910 563 E. It uses the fiber optic cable to connect to the PCM 2.1. Anyway, the problem I have is just once the XM radio module is removed, the PCM 2.1 seems to look for it at boot up and throw and error when it can't find it.

The error goes away after acknowledging it and the PCM 2.1 works without a problem. It basically is just looking for a device that doesn't exists in the car anymore. Seems to me it will have to be disabled with PIWIS. I was just hoping to hear anyone doing it without PIWIS. with a simple reset from the PCM 2.1. Thanks all!

Last edited by carlosah; 08-27-2015 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:38 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by carlosah
Thanks for the response jhbrennan. XM radio comes in a form of a module situated on the trunk made by AC Delco. It is a Porsche part is 7L5 910 563 E. It uses the fiber optic cable to connect to the PCM 2.1. Anyway, the problem I have is just once removed the PCM 2.1 seems to look for it at boot up and throw and error when it doesn't find it. The error goes away after acknowledging it and the PCM 2.1 works without a problem. it is just looking for a device that doesn't exists in the car anymore. Seems to me it will have to be disabled with PIWIS. I was just hoping to hear anyone doing it without PIWIS. Thanks all!
I'm just guessing here but when installed there might have been some additional fiber optic "stuff" that was done and that may have to be reversed or bypassed. Sorry not much help but I don't think it's a PIWIS issue. Whoever de-installed the radio should have changed the fiber optic routing to exclude the satellite radio.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:18 PM
Banned
semicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond repute
It might be plugged into the CD changer. Perhaps disabling the CD changer with Durametric Pro or PIWIS?

Old 08-28-2015, 07:25 PM
JustinCase is infamous around these parts
The Porsche "OEM" Delco satellite radio was *not* an option for 997.1s. However, it was discovered that the OEM Cayenne radio and harness works equally well in the 911 PCM 2.1 as the Cayenne PCM 2.1. The primary reason Porsche never added it was the difficulty locating the antenna so that it worked consistently well in all geographic areas.

Plugging in the Cayenne radio using the Cayenne harness is pretty much "plug and play" for those cars which already have a working CD changer -- it plugs in the MOST network between the CD changer and the Navi unit. However, even though this arrangement works, the location/order of the network-installed devices is usually not what is expected by the PCM, so owners with satellite installed will eventually take their cars to a dealer (or topnotch indy) with access to PIWIS or similar high-end diagnostic computer to manually correct the network node addresses. This is a 5-10 minute job for which you may or may not be charged.

I suspect this was done in your case, and with the addresses set correctly in memory, the car will now *expect* the satellite radio and notice it is missing when it is removed. I believe you will need to have either a dealer or well-equipped indy correct your node addresses to reflect the current network and your annoying problem will go away.

To amplify what jhbrennan stated above, the fiber optic circuit simply will not work unless it is correctly connected in a complete circuit. If connected incorrectly, *nothing* works. If everything else is working okay, you have already successfully bypassed the satellite unit.

With all that said, I just installed the same satellite radio (which I purchased new after advertising for several months for someone like you with a used radio no longer needed) and I love it. Finding a good antenna location took some work, though: see the 17th message in the following thread -- http://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum...ation-s-2.html.

Last edited by JustinCase; 08-28-2015 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Clarity and typos
Old 08-29-2015, 08:30 AM
Thank you all for your help! I actually found the answer. For those who would like to know: indeed the dealer will have to enable/disable the device from the head unit. Pressing the MAIN and the TRIP buttons on the PCM 2.1 simultaneously lists the system version and any additional devices found and entered in the system. These devices can be turned on/off with the PIWIS, now I am looking to see if it can be done with the latest Durametric version. I have the Chinese knock off that I used to reset service reminders as I do my own oil changes 2, 3 times a year, but it is limited in what can be done with it. BTW it works like charm even on virtual Windows 7 image on a MacBook Pro.

Thanks everyone!