997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Questions For Tiptronic Users

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 09:33 AM
REKX is infamous around these parts
Questions For Tiptronic Users

Hi, I've made threads before and I'm decided on the Carrera 3.6 non s version. I know most will not approve but I'm coming from a BMW and also I'm a student and in the UK fuel is expensive so not that it makes a huge difference but 3.6 will be slightly better. Also the Carrera is slightly cheaper for initial purchase, and I can get lower mileage for the same price.

I have never driven auto and my understanding is tiptronic will never be anything like a pdk or bmw's 8 speed recent auto (which some people regard as the smoothest out of any manufacturer).

Firstly I know it has 5 gears, and it moves of in second. Does this impact the speed and feeling in any sense? Does it feel slow or is it engineered in a way which users dont really feel it day to day?

Just concerned as I'm coming from a 6 speed manual BMW. I rev match and heel and toe so I guess I am used to smooth changes.

Its just that I commute and most of the time I'm endlessly changing gears whilst creeping through traffic. That is why I want to get the tip, and pdk is out of my price range I feel.

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:24 AM
tphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond repute
Prior to the paddle shift conversion, the button shifting is lame. For spirit driving, i do the downshifting and let the trans do the rest, gear change consistent right at 7200 rpm every time, I like that.

Although it is OK IMO, my next 911 will not be a Tiptronic.

Manual transmission in big city suck...been there.

Old 11-09-2015, 03:24 PM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
Our Cayenne S has a tip and I hate it. It's the placement of the buttons, I often activate manual shifting by accidentally hitting the button. It does take off in second most of the time and for normal day-to-day driving the tip is fine. I would not buy a Carrera with one though. PDK yes, TIP no!

Old 11-09-2015, 09:00 PM
nismopowered is infamous around these parts
You can convert it to paddles. Better control than the buttons. Still not pdk but I like it better. My dd is a 987s tip and honestly I don't mind it. Of course my 997 is manual.