997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Cab. hard-top noises

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 12:25 PM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
Cab. hard-top noises

I know only a few here have cabs and fewer still have hard-tops......but none-the-less I'll ask if anyone has run across this issue.

I know the hard-top fitment is less than perfect (and I've had them on previous Boxsters and 996 Cabs).....but this 997II C4S top is the worst for creeks and squeaks.
I have tried dry lubs across the front seal to no avail. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:04 AM
martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !
Make sure the rear bolts are adjusted correctly, if too low they can scratch your paint, if too high it leaves too much play on the hard top causing it to move as the car flexes (yes, they do flex) which can be the cause of your noises.

Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2016, 07:29 AM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for that.
I torque them per the ft. pound specs in the manual......I guess I could try a tad tighter.....and will.
Years ago I did not do it by the numbers....rather just used 'feel'.
Then.......one day, sitting at a stop light, the left rear window blew out. The techs said I was too 'aggressive' with my adjustment. Since then I've been doing it by the numbers.
Your car looks nice.
I'll share a pic of the wife's set with winter fitments and top.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:31 AM
martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !
It's not only the torque, there's also a couple of bolts that adjust the height from the hardtop for the actual body of the car, that is the one that you have to be careful with, if you are too low it will make contact with your paint, they are sort of "the limiter" as too how close your hardtop gets to your car, Beautiful looking car!!.

Last edited by martidamm; 01-12-2016 at 07:39 AM.