997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Wheel Setup 19 Front 20 Rear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 08:47 PM
Szymon Kowalczyk is infamous around these parts
Wheel Setup 19 Front 20 Rear

I'm thinking of getting new wheels and just wondering if anyone is running the setup of 20x11 Rear and 19x9.5/8.5 Front. Please post pictures.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:25 PM
yvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of light
Just make sure you do not have a C4 when doing that.

Yves

Old 01-20-2016, 02:20 PM
Banned
semicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yvesvidal
Just make sure you do not have a C4 when doing that.

Yves
Shouldn't matter for the AWD system. Outside rolling diameter would be the same front to rear. There's just less rubber between the 20" wheel and the road than the 19" wheel and the road. The tires would be sized to keep outside rolling diameters very close.

OP - wouldn't consider it myself but I'm curious in how it would look. If you get photos be sure to post them up. I haven't really thought through handling issues though, if any.

Old 01-20-2016, 03:37 PM
StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !
I used willtheyfit.com to check this. As semicycler points out you would also need to change the side profile to keep the overall diameter very close to the same. You may have be aware of this but lets talk it through just to be safe.

Using that calculator and only changing the wheel size and the profile, a 20 inch 295 tire would require a 25 profile to keep the rolling circumference difference down to 0.63% which should be fine. It would be quite noticeable since that translates to a sidewall height of 52mm being reduced to 37mm... and noticeable not only in visual terms but in ride quality terms as well. The difference between the rear and front sidewall heights isn't all that bad though since the fronts are 35 profile tires but are narrower; so they end up with a 41mm sidewall height. So maybe 37mm in the rear isn't so bad after all.

The 991 models can get away with 20" wheels and narrower sidewalls since their suspension was designed for it. For our cars I would think it would mean a very noticeable ride quality change. Others that have 20" wheels could speak to this better though. So overall, yeah it is doable. Sorry, I didn't really help with pictures.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:18 PM
gonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond repute
I ran 20"s on my prior 997 and I could feel every joint on the road. Just saying.

Old 01-23-2016, 03:47 PM
MYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really nice
I hate too disagree with you "gonz". I run 20"s and with PASM and I certainly don't feel every joint in the road! It could be a Texas thing I guess?

Old 01-23-2016, 08:51 PM
mickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by MYC2SPC
I hate too disagree with you "gonz". I run 20"s and with PASM and I certainly don't feel every joint in the road! It could be a Texas thing I guess?
What he said. Either u put in cheap 20s or were running cheap worn tires. I have had 19s and 20s and virtually no difference. I just did 20s and went with a very well made 20 lite weight and new tires and the ride is fantastic.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:52 PM
gonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mickfluff
What he said. Either u put in cheap 20s or were running cheap worn tires. I have had 19s and 20s and virtually no difference. I just did 20s and went with a very well made 20 lite weight and new tires and the ride is fantastic.
That's fine, fella. I was running new wheels and new rubber. That was on my prior 997. Before I sold it, I went back to 19". You can't deny the lower sidewalk doesn't absorb more imperfections in the road. Say what you want, it's true.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:21 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by gonz996
That's fine, fella. I was running new wheels and new rubber. That was on my prior 997. Before I sold it, I went back to 19". You can't deny the lower sidewalk doesn't absorb more imperfections in the road. Say what you want, it's true.
Agreed - I just went from 18s to 19s and if anyone could not tell the difference in ride, they just aren't sensitive to that sort of thing or they have fantastic roads. I imagine 20s would be even more pronounced. Although I think the decision to go with 20s is not about ride or performance; it's aesthetics - some like the look - I think it pushes the 997's design a little too much.