997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

2006 Carrera 4S review with Matt Farah on The Smoking Tire channel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 11:03 AM
qikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Buddhamonk
K&n 57-7000 is listed for the 996. Did you really get a 996 intake for your 997?

Yes, Porsche uses Exact same mounting points, fit, maf housing size for airbox between 996/997. only difference is the 997 airbox is a pretty design .

Old 02-09-2016, 11:12 AM
roelricardo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by qikqbn
Getty Design Ducktail "Sport" version

Yes you mention that on the video, but how about the side skirts?

Thanks

Old 02-09-2016, 11:54 AM
Izzycab has a spectacular aura aboutIzzycab has a spectacular aura about
Hi, where did you get the front bumper from?

Old 02-09-2016, 12:15 PM
qikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by PatrickBateman
Thanks for posting the VID OP. Im confused about the HP claims above...

What IPD plenum do you have? stock or GT3? Do you also have the throttle body as well?

Any tune?

I continue to be underwhelmed by my 08's power with tune, GT3 TB/plenum, Cargraphic 200 cell cats, and BMC filters....(no CAI).

Have you installed sways front and rear to correct steering issues?

I always take my TC off the moment I start the car unless its bad weather/wet roads to liven up the experience a bit, and push that rear end out as much as possible.

How many miles on your car? is that Slate Grey Metallic, or Meteor Grey?

Like the tail!!
You know... I used to have a 500 hp project car that ran 11.7 quarter miles @ 120 mph. 0-60 mph in 3.4. After a while I got used to the power and wanted it to be faster! Then I would drive a friends "normal" car or have a rental for a week or so and when I jumped back in to my project car I was like "holy #$%@" this is fast! how did I ever think this was slow??? This is also why there are 911 Turbo guys that want 700-800 hp. Every one gets use to their horsepower at some point no matter what you drive.

Our cars still do 12.4 second quarter miles at 112+ mph. That is really fast compared to 90% of the cars out there! Just something to keep in perspective.

I agree that there are a lot of mods that promise huge gains and never deliver. Over the years I have spent many days and dozen of hours at the dyno fine tuning my cars and working on friends cars. I can totally understand your skepticism, but I know the intake mods on my C4S definitely make a nice difference that truly can be felt and measured on the dyno.. It's putting down about 320 to the wheels which equates to about 375-380hp at the crank. I have been down that road of chasing the smallest horsepower gains with bolt on mods and more often than not they don't deliver what you expect and disappoint, so I completely understand, but every once in a while you find a winner that makes you happy and gives a modest increase. ;^) I would be curious to see what your car puts down on the dyno with all your mods. Most times the dyno is disappointing and depressing, but at least you would know if your mods had made any benefits. The stock 997.1 3.8 cars put down about 300 hp to the wheels on the dynojet dynos. Mustang dynos tend to be more conservative...

I did use the "competition plenum" with GT3 82mm throttle body, but it was over kill for my setup since I have stock exhaust. I still have the parts, but have since gone back to my original 74mm throttle body and 74mm IPD plenum. My car idles smoother and just seems happier with that setup for now.

I have not had any "steering issues". I purchased this car with 6000 miles on the odometer so it was basically new. What "steering issues" were you having?

Last edited by qikqbn; 02-09-2016 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by roelricardo
Yes you mention that on the video, but how about the side skirts?

Thanks

Oem GT2 side skirt part numbers: Part numbers are 997-504-363-80-01C and 997-504-364-80-01C.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by Izzycab
Hi, where did you get the front bumper from?
OEM Porsche parts. full front conversion

-Sport design bumper (997-505-961-02) ---Lower lip spoiler "GTS" (997-505-983-05) OR what I now have "Sport Classic Lip" (997-505-983-06-G2L) ---Middle air deflector for "center mouth opening"(997-575-141-07 no center radiator) (with radiator 997-505-541-03 + retaining bracket 997-504-487-00)---Left and Right updated radiator shrouds (997-575-321-06-01c + 997-575-322-06-01c) ---Left and Right updated Led turn signal lights(997-631-083-01+ 997-631-084-01)---Left and Right updated headlight washer nozzles(2 quantity= 997-628-163-01)---Left and Right Grills (997-505-985-02-041 + 997-505-986-02-041)---2 mini cable looms to run to led turn signals (2 quantity 997-612-501-25)

Old 02-12-2016, 09:09 AM
myw
myw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to behold
very nice bill!

Old 02-15-2016, 04:33 PM
This is what happen after I seen you video review, tomorrow I will install, I hope it sounds like yours!!

Cheers

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7646.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	2.33 MB
ID:	440317  
Old 02-15-2016, 05:00 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
I must be the only one confused.

Why are u guys replacing the Porsche-designed CAI box with aftermarket air filter that will just sit in the hot engine bay ?

Old 02-15-2016, 06:50 PM
Because of the noise!! (Sound)

Just kidding for what I saw the filter comes with a box seal with the hood or engine bay door, all the other parts are completely seal look like no hot air from the engine will come inside that little box.

I know that the original is design to work in all conditions specially on hot climates, any way the specs of the filter gains 23.8 hp.

Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
I must be the only one confused.

Why are u guys replacing the Porsche-designed CAI box with aftermarket air filter that will just sit in the hot engine bay ?

Last edited by roelricardo; 02-15-2016 at 06:53 PM. Reason: More for info
Old 02-16-2016, 12:25 AM
Originally Posted by roelricardo
This is what happen after I seen you video review, tomorrow I will install, I hope it sounds like yours!!

Cheers

Awesome!

I think you are going to be very happy with the sound, better throttle response, and nice power increase in the mid range. It's a screamer from 5000-7000rpm

with any new intake modification you may want to reset your ecu by unplugging the battery for a few minutes. The computer will reset and then go for a 30 minute drive for the ecu to learn and adapt to the new higher air flow. Try to drive and accelerate all the way to redline in several different gears. Part throttle and full throttle. This will help the ecu plot some new fuel maps to work with the new airflow.

I also would highly recommend buying some "CRC Mass air flow cleaner" spray. Clean your mass air flow sensor real good and you should run like a champ in no time.

If you do not reset the ecu right away then you may notice a rough idle the first time you start it up with the filter on. This is just the ecu adapting and you need to take the car for a nice drive for the ecu to adjust.

Please let us know what you think after a few days running it through your favorite canyons

if you drive your car in the rain a lot, make sure to put the water repellent jacket over the filter!

Last edited by qikqbn; 02-16-2016 at 12:33 AM.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:43 AM
epik high is infamous around these parts
Awesome!

I think you are going to be very happy with the sound, better throttle response, and nice power increase in the mid range. It's a screamer from 5000-7000rpm

with any new intake modification you may want to reset your ecu by unplugging the battery for a few minutes. The computer will reset and then go for a 30 minute drive for the ecu to learn and adapt to the new higher air flow. Try to drive and accelerate all the way to redline in several different gears. Part throttle and full throttle. This will help the ecu plot some new fuel maps to work with the new airflow.

I also would highly recommend buying some "CRC Mass air flow cleaner" spray. Clean your mass air flow sensor real good and you should run like a champ in no time.

If you do not reset the ecu right away then you may notice a rough idle the first time you start it up with the filter on. This is just the ecu adapting and you need to take the car for a nice drive for the ecu to adjust.

Please let us know what you think after a few days running it through your favorite canyons

if you drive your car in the rain a lot, make sure to put the water repellent jacket over the filter!

I found the intake on Amazon and with their 2-day Prime shipping just couldn't help myself.

I'm surprised at how much intake noise it generates in the cabin past 5k. Reminds me of VTEC on an S2000...well I mean the change in cam profile is much more pronounced with the intake.

Your experience with the ECU was identical to my experience. PASM and PSM error, idle slightly rough, drove for 20 minutes and when I turned off the car and started it all was well.

I do get a faint chirp/squeak? when I initially push the throttle, I think intakes tend to make these funny noises on initial throttle.

How did you mount the heat shield to the mounting latch? You're supposed to use an L bracket and drill a hole into the trunk latch on a 996 but the area isn't there on a 997.

Also - Did you notice any difference with the water repellant jacket on/off?

Old 02-16-2016, 01:14 AM
Originally Posted by epik high
I found the intake on Amazon and with their 2-day Prime shipping just couldn't help myself.

I'm surprised at how much intake noise it generates in the cabin past 5k. Reminds me of VTEC on an S2000...well I mean the change in cam profile is much more pronounced with the intake.

Your experience with the ECU was identical to my experience. PASM and PSM error, idle slightly rough, drove for 20 minutes and when I turned off the car and started it all was well.

I do get a faint chirp/squeak? when I initially push the throttle, I think intakes tend to make these funny noises on initial throttle.

How did you mount the heat shield to the mounting latch? You're supposed to use an L bracket and drill a hole into the trunk latch on a 996 but the area isn't there on a 997.

Also - Did you notice any difference with the water repellant jacket on/off?
Cool! So you are happy with it? how long have you had it on? I have not noticed any difference with the water repellent jacket on or off in normal dry weather. I do not drive my car in the rain often, but I have noticed after a car wash with the water jacket off that you can feel a choking happen under full throttle after a car wash. This seems to happen if the cone filter gets soaked. best to let the water dry out in a warm engine bay and with the motor fan running before giving full throttle. I started covering the filter temporarily during car washes even with the jacket on just to keep it as dry as possible, but then again my ducktail has a much larger air opening right over the engine fan which alows a lot of water to drop in. This does not seem to be a problem with just your average rain fall.. only when dumping a large quantity of water like from a hose or jet during car washes.

As far as the large "L" bracket. This is the only small piece that is different than the 996. The 997 is missing this mounting hole near the engine cover latch that was used in the 996 installation instructions. Some people will drill a hole, but I just used a heavy duty zip tie to hold it down. Have had it that way for years with no problems.

The longest part to build is the cold air box which takes about 30 minutes to put together.. Once the cold air box is assembled it only takes 15 minutes to install it in the engine bay.

Last edited by qikqbn; 02-16-2016 at 01:27 AM.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:53 AM
Many thanks for all the info on installing the filter, the instruction in the first step says that battery should be disconnected before you start, anyway I will try to fallow all recommendations.

That Porsche badge looks great on the filter hose!! Where did you find it??

Ricardo

Awesome!

Old 02-16-2016, 12:44 PM
In my car I found a vacuum hose on the right part that goes into the oem filter box that opens and close a valve with this little house what should I do with it??

This is the hose and the electric connector, should I live it connected or unplugged??

Many thanks with the feedback

Cool! So you are happy with it? how long have you had it on? I have not noticed any difference with the water repellent jacket on or off in normal dry weather. I do not drive my car in the rain often, but I have noticed after a car wash with the water jacket off that you can feel a choking happen under full throttle after a car wash. This seems to happen if the cone filter gets soaked. best to let the water dry out in a warm engine bay and with the motor fan running before giving full throttle. I started covering the filter temporarily during car washes even with the jacket on just to keep it as dry as possible, but then again my ducktail has a much larger air opening right over the engine fan which alows a lot of water to drop in. This does not seem to be a problem with just your average rain fall.. only when dumping a large quantity of water like from a hose or jet during car washes.

As far as the large "L" bracket. This is the only small piece that is different than the 996. The 997 is missing this mounting hole near the engine cover latch that was used in the 996 installation instructions. Some people will drill a hole, but I just used a heavy duty zip tie to hold it down. Have had it that way for years with no problems.

The longest part to build is the cold air box which takes about 30 minutes to put together.. Once the cold air box is assembled it only takes 15 minutes to install it in the engine bay.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2006 Carrera 4S review with Matt Farah on The Smoking Tire channel