997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

2006 Carrera 4S review with Matt Farah on The Smoking Tire channel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 02:58 PM
qikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by roelricardo
In my car I found a vacuum hose on the right part that goes into the oem filter box that opens and close a valve with this little house what should I do with it??

This is the hose and the electric connector, should I live it connected or unplugged??

Many thanks with the feedback

Just cap it with a rubber plug. you no longer need and it will not harm anything by just plugging it up, but do not leave it just open to the air... If you don't have a rubber cap that will fit us a small screw and electrical tape. Just something that will create an air tight cap.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:03 PM
roelricardo is infamous around these parts
Many thanks!!

Sounds amazing and believe it or not it feels quicker and faster throttle response!!

Originally Posted by qikqbn
Just cap it with a rubber plug. you no longer need and it will not harm anything by just plugging it up, but do not leave it just open to the air... If you don't have a rubber cap that will fit us a small screw and electrical tape. Just something that will create an air tight cap.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:10 PM
qikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by roelricardo
Many thanks!!

Sounds amazing and believe it or not it feels quicker and faster throttle response!!

AWESOME!! So I hope I did not steer you wrong and influence you in a bad way

So does it live up to what you were expecting? Great mod for the price, right?? I have recommended this mod to a few friends and all of them love it! Hope you are happy with it!!

It is cool that the newer versions have the K&N logo embossed in black plastic on the intake pipe. Mine had the K&N logo in bright orange so I painted over it and found that metal Porsche LOGO you asked me about.
Yours looks great!!

Old 02-16-2016, 03:13 PM
roelricardo is infamous around these parts
Off course live up my expectations.

Is kind of tricky the installation but as you said the main problem is to get the box right and all the other parts come easy.

Cheers

Old 02-16-2016, 06:02 PM
marlon 997 is infamous around these parts

I had this installed on my previous 997 and had it dyno'd before and after... the cold air intake def produced a gain in terms of HP, 17HP to be exact.

Here is the thread I posted the dyno results on: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...f-exhaust.html

You know... I used to have a 500 hp project car that ran 11.7 quarter miles @ 120 mph. 0-60 mph in 3.4. After a while I got used to the power and wanted it to be faster! Then I would drive a friends "normal" car or have a rental for a week or so and when I jumped back in to my project car I was like "holy #$%@" this is fast! how did I ever think this was slow??? This is also why there are 911 Turbo guys that want 700-800 hp. Every one gets use to their horsepower at some point no matter what you drive.

Our cars still do 12.4 second quarter miles at 112+ mph. That is really fast compared to 90% of the cars out there! Just something to keep in perspective.

I agree that there are a lot of mods that promise huge gains and never deliver. Over the years I have spent many days and dozen of hours at the dyno fine tuning my cars and working on friends cars. I can totally understand your skepticism, but I know the intake mods on my C4S definitely make a nice difference that truly can be felt and measured on the dyno.. It's putting down about 320 to the wheels which equates to about 375-380hp at the crank. I have been down that road of chasing the smallest horsepower gains with bolt on mods and more often than not they don't deliver what you expect and disappoint, so I completely understand, but every once in a while you find a winner that makes you happy and gives a modest increase. ;^) I would be curious to see what your car puts down on the dyno with all your mods. Most times the dyno is disappointing and depressing, but at least you would know if your mods had made any benefits. The stock 997.1 3.8 cars put down about 300 hp to the wheels on the dynojet dynos. Mustang dynos tend to be more conservative...

I did use the "competition plenum" with GT3 82mm throttle body, but it was over kill for my setup since I have stock exhaust. I still have the parts, but have since gone back to my original 74mm throttle body and 74mm IPD plenum. My car idles smoother and just seems happier with that setup for now.

I have not had any "steering issues". I purchased this car with 6000 miles on the odometer so it was basically new. What "steering issues" were you having?

Last edited by marlon 997; 02-16-2016 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by marlon 997
I can vouch for a real HP gain when you install a cold air intake.

I had this installed on my previous 997 and had it dyno'd before and after... the cold air intake def produced a gain in terms of HP, 17HP to be exact.

Here is the thread I posted the dyno results on: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...f-exhaust.html
Thanks for posting your gains and link to dyno! Those are great numbers to see. Out of all the crazy hype and unwarranted horsepower gains a lot of bolt on mods claim... Every once in a while you find a winner and it really makes a nice difference!!

Great looking intake too, the carbon fiber pieces are beautiful!

Old 02-16-2016, 06:28 PM
rodH is infamous around these parts
Wait, 17WHP with only CAI and mufflers? Dont our cars already have CAI from the factory? Ummm,, something smells fishy to me. Did the company that did the dyno happen to sell you the parts as well?

Old 02-16-2016, 07:31 PM
marlon 997 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by rodH
Wait, 17WHP with only CAI and mufflers? Dont our cars already have CAI from the factory? Ummm,, something smells fishy to me. Did the company that did the dyno happen to sell you the parts as well?
No. Had it done else where.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:40 AM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by marlon 997

Lol. to be fair, u stated u did both intake and exhaust for that 'before & after' dyno

Last edited by crazycarlitos; 02-19-2016 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:59 PM
mike9186 is infamous around these parts
Great video (I watched it twice) and thanks for taking the time to respond thoroughly to questions in this thread. I am now very close to ordering the K&N setup for my 997.1

How much additional improvement to you think you get with the non-competition IPD plenum? I'm trying to avoid slippery-slope-upgrade-itis. Do you think the additional benefit is worth the $800 for the plenum?

Thanks again and congrats on rolling with Matt F. I watch a lot of his one takes and listen to the podcasts all the time.

-Mike B

Old 02-19-2016, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by mike9186
Great video (I watched it twice) and thanks for taking the time to respond thoroughly to questions in this thread. I am now very close to ordering the K&N setup for my 997.1

How much additional improvement to you think you get with the non-competition IPD plenum? I'm trying to avoid slippery-slope-upgrade-itis. Do you think the additional benefit is worth the $800 for the plenum?

Thanks again and congrats on rolling with Matt F. I watch a lot of his one takes and listen to the podcasts all the time.

-Mike B

I have a 997.1 C4S and my FAVORITE modification and bang for the buck power increase is : K&N Intake Kit 57-7000 . It costs about $350, but you can find some places for $300. My favorite mod : http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...d=3124227&rw=1

This modification will greatly improve your throttle response and especially the power curve between 4500-5500 rpm is greatly improved. Porsche's have a slight flat spot in power between 4500-5500 as the engine cam is kicking in and intake manifold valve adjusts.

Both the IPD Plenum and the K&N Intake kit greatly improve this area as stand alones. . With either the K&N intake OR the IPD Plenum the Dyno charts show greatest power gains of 20+ horsepower in 4500-5500 rpm with about a 10-15 hp bump near 7000 rpm. The IPD plenum is closer to $800 with similar results as the K&N kit. I have both and It seems that both together worked out really nice for me.

They of course do not produce 40 hp together, as most bolt ons are not worth their advertised hp each when combined with other parts, but work really well as a unit. I feel that the K&N does a real nice job all by itself to make a noticeable power increase between 4500-5500 . OH, and the sound! The sound alone is worth $300 bucks.... the sound is really great. Seriously adds a real nice intake scream/howl from 5000-7300 rpm. Adding the Ipd at that point is the cherry on top, but probably not going to make as much improvement as advertised, but does add a nice improvement in airflow smoothness. At that point the intake mods seem to reach a limit and you need to upgrade the throttle body and the exhaust system. To get the maximum you will have to add a ecu tuning upgrade and exhaust to get the max from bolt on power.

I would get the K&N first and think you will be happy. If you are still itching to add an ipd later I think it will be a nice improvement but not a huge difference in power since the K&N has improved a lot of the air flow already. Hope that makes sense... .

Old 02-19-2016, 04:28 PM
modliving is infamous around these parts
Getty Design Ducktail "Sport" version
I just picked up a meteor grey 997.1 and I'm definitely going with the Getty Sport duck tail. With all the tracking, did you end up popping off the rear bearing cover to allow oil to flow through?

Old 02-22-2016, 08:29 AM
I'm in! I did my homework and I think for $300 it's worth a shot. I also watched your solo Youtube vid where you were carving canyons solo and I could really hear the improved sound in that video! I looked at the alternatives (Fabspeed, EVOMS etc) and they are all at least twice as expensive and do not see their designs as being superior. Even with my Cargraphic exhaust I still feel the need for some more engine noise. The only thing that still digs at me is the exposure to water with the location of the filter. I live in the NY area (Long Island) and while we do get regular rain unlike SoCal, the Porsche is my weekend ride so I don't take it out during heavy heavy downpours anyway. I just hope that the filter will be ok if I get stuck in rain while on a road trip. I suppose I can craft some kind of removable cover for it.

Once I get it installed I'll post my impressions here.

Thanks again for the comments.

I have a 997.1 C4S and my FAVORITE modification and bang for the buck power increase is : K&N Intake Kit 57-7000 . It costs about $350, but you can find some places for $300. My favorite mod : http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...d=3124227&rw=1

This modification will greatly improve your throttle response and especially the power curve between 4500-5500 rpm is greatly improved. Porsche's have a slight flat spot in power between 4500-5500 as the engine cam is kicking in and intake manifold valve adjusts.

Both the IPD Plenum and the K&N Intake kit greatly improve this area as stand alones. . With either the K&N intake OR the IPD Plenum the Dyno charts show greatest power gains of 20+ horsepower in 4500-5500 rpm with about a 10-15 hp bump near 7000 rpm. The IPD plenum is closer to $800 with similar results as the K&N kit. I have both and It seems that both together worked out really nice for me.

They of course do not produce 40 hp together, as most bolt ons are not worth their advertised hp each when combined with other parts, but work really well as a unit. I feel that the K&N does a real nice job all by itself to make a noticeable power increase between 4500-5500 . OH, and the sound! The sound alone is worth $300 bucks.... the sound is really great. Seriously adds a real nice intake scream/howl from 5000-7300 rpm. Adding the Ipd at that point is the cherry on top, but probably not going to make as much improvement as advertised, but does add a nice improvement in airflow smoothness. At that point the intake mods seem to reach a limit and you need to upgrade the throttle body and the exhaust system. To get the maximum you will have to add a ecu tuning upgrade and exhaust to get the max from bolt on power.

I would get the K&N first and think you will be happy. If you are still itching to add an ipd later I think it will be a nice improvement but not a huge difference in power since the K&N has improved a lot of the air flow already. Hope that makes sense... .

Old 02-22-2016, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by mike9186
I'm in! I did my homework and I think for $300 it's worth a shot. I also watched your solo Youtube vid where you were carving canyons solo and I could really hear the improved sound in that video! I looked at the alternatives (Fabspeed, EVOMS etc) and they are all at least twice as expensive and do not see their designs as being superior. Even with my Cargraphic exhaust I still feel the need for some more engine noise. The only thing that still digs at me is the exposure to water with the location of the filter. I live in the NY area (Long Island) and while we do get regular rain unlike SoCal, the Porsche is my weekend ride so I don't take it out during heavy heavy downpours anyway. I just hope that the filter will be ok if I get stuck in rain while on a road trip. I suppose I can craft some kind of removable cover for it.

Once I get it installed I'll post my impressions here.

Thanks again for the comments.
Very rare for southern California, but I recently got stuck driving home in heavy rains. No problem whatsoever for the K&N intake and having huge intake air opening on my ducktail. Just make sure you have the water repellent jacket over the cone filter in rainy climate and you should be ok. I would not worry about it ever being an issue that would keep you from driving in the rain or leave you stranded..

The only and very rare times I have had problems is when I go to a brush less car wash.. It's a jet powered car wash and nothing touches your car but a high pressure wash and gallons of water pour through and on top of the cone filter. It just causes the filter to soak up a bit too much water and you can feel it choke a bit under full throttle. it dries out quickly in a warm engine, but it is surprising the first time it happens. Now I put a cover over it temporarly only when I rarely use the car wash..

If I think about it, I am sure a very simple and easy hard plastic cover could be fabricated just to keep rain from falling directly on top of the cone filter, but that's being overly cautious.... but then again, I have never driven in new york rain, so if it is a torrential down pour I could be mistaken

Last edited by qikqbn; 04-27-2016 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:00 PM
Installed the K&N Intake today. I bought it here as it was the best price I could find. It showed up in 2 days with free shipping so no complaints! http://www.uspmotorsports.com/Engine...6-Carrera.html

I read extensively about the K&N (the pros and cons) and decided I would also get an AEM filter and water cover. The K&N filter I received seemed pretty darned dry so I think the risk of it founding the MAF is low. The AEM is more coffee can shaped and the K&N is conical. Given how the heat shield is designed and the location of the air snorkel feeding the chamber, the K&N might be a better shaped filter for this installation.... I will experiment with that in the future to see if the different types of filters make a difference in performance or sound.

The install itself would've been made MUCH easier with a larger/better detailed exploded diagram, but it really isn't that difficult. Taking my time, I completed the job in 2 hours. Almost all of the nuts, bolts and washers are the same so you can't mess that up. The 2 remaining things I need to do are: figure out what to do with 2 largish plastic washers that are leftover and adjust the intake nozzle so that it seats more cleanly with the hood....it seems to catch right at the top of the trunk. This is also a pretty comprehensive video of someone installing this intake on a 996 on YouTube

Also, I need a better technique for zip tying down the left hand side of the heat shield. I left the L-bracket on thinking it would make a better zip connection closer to the trunk latch but I see in other photos that the L-bracket has been left off... What I've done holds OK but a modest yank will dislodge the zip ties.

So now the driving impressions: today's weather on Long Island was 38 degrees with winds gusting to the mid 30 mph so I had a cold air intake no matter what. As mentioned, there is almost no difference in sound or power at low RPM's (I couldn't tell if the engine was sluggish off the line from warm air because it was just plain cold out). Also because of the wind, the only time I really heard the intake "woosh" was above 5.5k RPM. Hopefully tomorrow it will be warmer and less windy so I can take it out for another spin. I drove maybe 45 miles on backroads and the highway and hit redline or close to it in most gears 1-4. The sound was definitely there, and it sounds awesome! It did feel like the car had more throttle response but I can't be sure if this was because I disconnected the battery and the car was re-learning things. By the end of the drive I was having a harder time discerning how much more throttle response was actually there and how much was a result of 'Proud-Poppa Syndrome'.

I am going to keep this mod for a while and see how it evolves as the weather gets better and I drive the 911 more. I'm also curious to see how it handles stop and go summer traffic because that will be the real test.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2076.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	556.4 KB
ID:	441321  
Attached Images  

Last edited by mike9186; 02-26-2016 at 06:21 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2006 Carrera 4S review with Matt Farah on The Smoking Tire channel