997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

flat repair idea

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 04:56 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
flat repair idea

http://www.dynaplug.com/pro_xtreme.html

What do you guys think instead of putting the wheels damaging mess of the sealant Porsche wants you to put in? My sealant has expired and at $69 for a new bottle this other product may work better??

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/34pc-Profess...3D231546645587

Last edited by cerbomark; 02-29-2016 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:50 PM
markj is a jewel in the roughmarkj is a jewel in the roughmarkj is a jewel in the roughmarkj is a jewel in the rough
I have not fixed a flat in 25 years, so I may be wrong, but the items on ebay, don't you have to remove the tire from the car before you can plug any holes ? With the Porsche sealant, you 'repair' (temporary maybe) with tire on the car. ???

Old 02-29-2016, 07:53 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by markj
I have not fixed a flat in 25 years, so I may be wrong, but the items on ebay, don't you have to remove the tire from the car before you can plug any holes ? With the Porsche sealant, you 'repair' (temporary maybe) with tire on the car. ???
Don t need to take tire off as long as you can get to the spot on the tire. A front tire would be easy as you can turn the tire out . On a rear tire you d be on the ground. Luckily I m small and flexible. LOL. I would only use this as a temp fix anyway, just to get home or get to a new tire.
BTW Havent had a flat ( at least not on the road) in 35 years, LOL. Then again I never had a car without a spare!

Last edited by cerbomark; 02-29-2016 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:24 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
A plug kit from any auto parts store works great for $10.

The sealant creates a mess. Don't use it

Old 03-01-2016, 05:40 AM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
I keep one of those cheap plug kits in every car own. They are fine for normal driving conditions in the US ( up to 85 mph ). I would not use these plugs if the car/tire is tracked or in countries where the speed limit is high ( e.g. Germany). The only other thing you might need to have handy is a a pair of pliers to remove the offending nail or screw. You can leave the tire on the car and, if done quickly, lose very little air during the process.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:12 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
I agree with the plug-kit idea. Gloves, pliers, carpet knife, flashlight should go in the kit too. Not a bad idea to have the jack kit as well - the Porsche pump works well enough, the goop, not so much. If possible, get a spare tire kit too. For sidewall damage, a spare or a tow truck is the only solution - ask me how I know.