997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Front calliper rebuild?? 997.1

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2016 | 05:26 PM
|
Storman is infamous around these parts
Front calliper rebuild?? 997.1

2007 C4S

Just re & re rear brake pads and discs with no issues!!

Front brakes are almost ready to go, so I am replacing them as well. Disc and pads.

Here is my problem,,HOPEFULLY SOMEONE CAN HELP? The vibration dampers are one piece for the front. I am planning to replace those as I did in the rear. The front one are seized inside the pistons. I have removed the plate so I can not go back and leave them as is. Any ideas on how I can remove these plugs inside the pistons??? I don't know what you call them but they are part of the vibration damper.

HELP!!

Old 03-16-2016 | 05:51 PM
|

Here is my problem!!

Old 03-16-2016 | 06:08 PM
cbst09 has much to be proud ofcbst09 has much to be proud ofcbst09 has much to be proud ofcbst09 has much to be proud ofcbst09 has much to be proud ofcbst09 has much to be proud ofcbst09 has much to be proud ofcbst09 has much to be proud of
Have you tried unscrewing the phillips head screw and putting a thicker screw in there? I would give it a squirt of wd40 and remove the existing screw and then put in a short wood screwin the hole until it bottoms out and spins the stuck puck and then pull out. you'll need one of those l shaped screwdrivers.

Old 03-16-2016 | 06:12 PM
cbst09 has much to be proud ofcbst09 has much to be proud ofcbst09 has much to be proud ofcbst09 has much to be proud ofcbst09 has much to be proud ofcbst09 has much to be proud ofcbst09 has much to be proud ofcbst09 has much to be proud of
Also, you could try loosening the screw and then using needle nose pliers to pull out the puck. If that doesn't work try using a screwdriver on the screw head and giving it a light tap to free it up from the piston. Honestly, a lot of folks leave the dampers out altogether and even if the puck were left in there it would have nowhere to go once the brake pad is on there. Good luck

Old 03-16-2016 | 06:43 PM
|
Cool

Ya, I tried to unscrew it but the piston just turns as well. I have some acetone/ATF penetrating but it's only been a couple of hours.

Really??? I can leave it the way it is and just put the pads in??

Old 03-16-2016 | 07:06 PM
There are a number of threads out there on this. As a bit of advice, if you are going to use the dampers i would coat the aluminum pucks with a light coating of anti-seize paste. Anytime you have aluminum and steel going together you risk mixed metal corrosion or galling.

http://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum...ers-stuck.html

Old 03-16-2016 | 08:10 PM
|
Thanks for the advice and the link! I will try in morning to remove the pucks. If they don't come out, then I will try the brakes without the dampers.

Old 03-16-2016 | 09:48 PM
EMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud of
Strange coincidence - I had exactly this problem this weekend. I bought a set of used calipers that I was going to refinish for a project and had this exact same problem. just 1 single damper refused to come out and was stuck really tight from corrosion. First spray as much WD40 into the damper screw hole as you can and let it soak ( also spray from above)
Then what I found is that a 30mm wrench (closed /circular side) head fits perfectly over the piston to act as a lever to pull against as described below.
You then take out the original screw from the damper and find another longer bolt with the same thread type. See example photo below (this is not the exact bolt and nut I used - but it illustrates the process. (also included a quick graphic to illustrate) Place the wrench on the piston Place a steel plate with a hole on top of the wrench Wind a nut to the top of the bolt then add a washer Place the steel plate with bolt assembly onto of the wrench Wind the Bolt deep enough into the damper to get a good grip Now use a smaller wrench to tighten the nut down onto the steel plate and use another wrench to stop the bolt from turning. This will force the nut to pull the bolt and the damper upwards toward the steel plate. Done!

Last edited by EMC2; 03-16-2016 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03-17-2016 | 04:15 AM
Banned
semicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond repute
Or using an air compressor and wood blocks just remove the piston with the stuck piece still inside and then attack it on the bench. Search for brake seal DIY's here or on youtube to see how it's done. Just watch your fingers while applying compressed air to the caliper.

Old 03-17-2016 | 05:59 AM
|
Great illustration!! The screws have managed to come out, so I will try your puller technique.

And if that doesn't work, then off the piston goes.

THANKS a lot guys.

Old 03-17-2016 | 04:25 PM
|
Tried the home made pulley and it did not work. It was a great idea emc2 but my pucks are welded in place. I never did the brakes on this car or else I would used anti seize paste.
Looks like I will put it together as is, with out the dampers. This is my daily driver for the summer so I hope it doesn't starts to squeal after bedding the pads. If it does, back in the garage and new pistons + dampers.

Thanks again guys. I will post what happens in a couple of weeks when no chance of snow.

Cheers

Old 03-17-2016 | 06:21 PM
EMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Storman
Tried the home made pulley and it did not work. It was a great idea emc2 but my pucks are welded in place. I never did the brakes on this car or else I would used anti seize paste.
Looks like I will put it together as is, with out the dampers. This is my daily driver for the summer so I hope it doesn't starts to squeal after bedding the pads. If it does, back in the garage and new pistons + dampers.

Thanks again guys. I will post what happens in a couple of weeks when no chance of snow.

Cheers
Sorry to hear that. They must have been seriously stuck.

Old 03-17-2016 | 06:31 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
compressed air to push the piston out. zeckhausenracing.com has replacement parts . pistons are about 30$ each

Old 03-18-2016 | 12:10 AM
Former Vendor
RacingBrake is infamous around these parts
RacingBrake has the caliper build kit for all Porsches, and our simple and one solid piece piston eliminates all these complicated OE components.

http://www.racingbrake.com/category-s/7185.htm

Old 03-22-2016 | 02:39 PM
floatingkiwi is infamous around these parts
Hey all - to remove the front calipers, where can you pinch the line to stop all the fluid coming out? My lines are very hard as though they are plastic rather than rubber. Ideas?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Front calliper rebuild?? 997.1