997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Heel and toe downshifting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 04:36 AM
Turn PSM Off
TheJudge is infamous around these parts
Heel and toe downshifting

BTW- The posts/threads are getting a little slow lately. They all revolve around camoed turbos.So I'll spark up a different conversation.

What the hell is heel and toe downshifting? (excuse my french)

Has anybody installed headers on their "S"?
Any performance gains?

Old 12-23-2005, 04:45 AM
bottomline is infamous around these partsbottomline is infamous around these parts
Have you ever been driving into a turn hard and knew you couldn't stay in the same gear? It's when you use your right foot simultaniously on the gas/brake so your other foot can disconnect the clutch (enabling you to downshift without losing time). The gas so you can rev-match.

It's hard to learn but when you're on a track you'll see the need for it.

Old 12-23-2005, 04:59 AM
Turn PSM Off
TheJudge is infamous around these parts
I rev match almost everytime I downshift. I blip the throttle with the clucth depressed and then I let go. Is that it?

Im gonna crash tomorrow practicing this ish.

Old 12-23-2005, 05:30 AM
bottomline is infamous around these partsbottomline is infamous around these parts
Yes, you're basically rev matching and downshifting ... and then add in the fact that you're turning and need to slow down. That's all.

Old 12-23-2005, 08:35 AM
whitlock is infamous around these parts
If you want to see what heel/toe downshifting looks like, go to Best Buy and get one of the Best Motoring videos. They show the drivers feet in the bottom left of the screen while they show the car ripping through the turns. I never really understood it till I saw one of those videos.

Old 12-23-2005, 08:43 AM
Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !
Heel-toe downshifting is useful when you're decellerating hard into a turn (like, racing) and want to set yourself up in the correct gear for pulling through and out of the turn.

Right toes go on the brake to slow the car. Left foot works clutch. Right heel blips the gas to rev-match for the lower gear.

If you downshift without rev-matching it has the potential to upset the balance of the car, and when you're right on the edge of traction anyways, that can be enough to send you off the track.

article
other article

Old 12-23-2005, 01:26 PM
PorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Gramicci101
Heel-toe downshifting is useful when you're decellerating hard into a turn (like, racing) and want to set yourself up in the correct gear for pulling through and out of the turn.

Right toes go on the brake to slow the car. Left foot works clutch. Right heel blips the gas to rev-match for the lower gear.

If you downshift without rev-matching it has the potential to upset the balance of the car, and when you're right on the edge of traction anyways, that can be enough to send you off the track.

article
other article
Great explanation, thanks!

Old 12-23-2005, 03:51 PM
drschrick is infamous around these parts
Brief explanation ehre but gives the overall concept: http://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/heelandtoe.html

Old 12-23-2005, 04:18 PM
PMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by Gramicci101

Right toes go on the brake to slow the car. ... . Right heel blips the gas to rev-match for the lower gear.

Mostly, I use the left part of my right foot to work the brake, and the right half to blip.

Whatever works for you though, determined by the size of your feet, and the separation of your pedals.

There is nothing that feels quite as satisfying (whilst driving, anyway) as nailing a solid downshift to second under threshold braking.

Old 12-23-2005, 04:22 PM
Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !
Originally posted by PMac
Mostly, I use the left part of my right foot to work the brake, and the right half to blip.
Actually, I do too, but I've got size 12.5 feet. So for me it's big toe-little toe shifting, instead of heel-toe shifting.

Old 12-23-2005, 04:41 PM
drschrick is infamous around these parts
I have size 9 shoes and I have to rotate over quite a bit! Even with my pedals adjusted closer together!

Old 12-23-2005, 05:30 PM
schicago is infamous around these parts
i learned the process a bit differently at Skip barber. Right foot on brake to slow car while left foot engages clutch shift to neutral while reving engine to higher rpm with right heel engage clutch shift to lower gear let out clutch while easing off of brake pedal to accelerate out of turn. A/K/A double clutching. Phew.

Old 12-23-2005, 06:44 PM
jlee is just really nicejlee is just really nicejlee is just really nicejlee is just really nice
I have a hard time heel/toeing and frankly, I don't understand what the great advantage is. Most likely, because I never went to the track?

Here is what I do, and I would think most people would do when downshifting:

Brake as usual when entering a turn, depress clutch, shift down, keep clutch depressed, and when I am done with the braking, press on the gas to rev match and release clutch and accelerate out.

I often hear that the reason for heel/toeing is to not "upset" the car, but I don't see where the problem would be if you still match revs when you release the clutch.

I did hear that before the synchomesh days, you had to heel/toe just to get the gear to go in, but I really do not see the need with today's cars.

The only advantage that I can think of is with heel/toe you can be already in gear with the clutch fully engaged while still braking and therefor accelerate out a little faster? But I do not think I will be losing significant amount of time using my method.

Can someone let me know what I am missing here?

Old 12-23-2005, 06:47 PM
That little bit of time in the corner makes significant differences if you're the only one losing that time and everyone else has already taken off. The way you do it is fine, but the goal on a track is to be the fastest, and if you're already in gear you'll be faster than someone who isn't.

Old 12-23-2005, 07:34 PM
Redlined has a spectacular aura aboutRedlined has a spectacular aura about
Heel and toe downshifting should occur under braking( on the track anyhow ie. near adhesion limits) to match revs under decelleration BEFORE one actually turns in at the turn in point. The goal is to simultaneously slow the car under braking and rev the engine as the clutch re engages a lower gear and not upset the cars balance. (Not to mention blowing a motor) The gear change (at speed) NEEDS to be completed before turn in, never in the turn. Once down to the lower gear, trail braking allows the driver to enter UNDER braking...slowing the car deep into the corner and letting the rear end slip if so desired to better point the car to apex and track out...then on the gas for adhesion again and go. Simple to describe, takes a lot of laps to get it down smooth...but what fun!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Heel and toe downshifting