997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Are headers worth it

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2017 | 07:57 AM
lowbee is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Petza914
Yes, stock cats are another restriction point compared to their 200 cell X-cats shown in my earlier post.
Ok but what I wanted to understand is which (headers or CAT) is the MOST restrictive OEM exhaust component. By the looks of the dyno chart above, it seems to indicate that the OEM headers are more restrictive than the OEM CAT pipes and I want to make sure I am interrupting that correctly.... I appreciate your help...

Old 05-13-2017 | 08:19 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe Fabspeed has a stock vs their cats Dyno chart too and you can compare the two charts.

Old 05-13-2017 | 04:09 PM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
Yes, you'll need them for ur system to sound complete

Old 05-15-2017 | 12:21 AM
AlohaFlyer is infamous around these parts
I have a 997.1 (Not an S).... would it make any sense to pursue this type of upgrade for me? or is this only for the S models...

Old 05-15-2017 | 04:04 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Sure it would. Making any engine flow better will make the most of whatever motor you have

Old 05-15-2017 | 07:51 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by William123
Headers in stock? What about the 200 cell sport cats, in stock as well?
We have the headers in stock but not the cats unfortunately we would need a few weeks to make those for you! I'll shoot you a price for both via PM including the forum discount.

Originally Posted by lowbee
I had thought/read that the OEM cat pipes were the biggest bottleneck in the 997.1S exhaust but this dyno chart seems to provide a different narrative to say otherwise ? No ?
Both are huge bottlenecks, the stock catalytic converters on these cars are between 600-800cpi. We offer a German Imported HJS cat replacement that is only 200cpi, these are more than efficient to keep the CEL off while being much more free flowing making very significant power as well!

Originally Posted by AlohaFlyer
I have a 997.1 (Not an S).... would it make any sense to pursue this type of upgrade for me? or is this only for the S models...
All Carrera models will benefit from these upgrades S or not.

Old 05-16-2017 | 05:24 PM
lowbee is infamous around these parts
I read that the OEM 997.1S headers have inside piping diameter of 43mm and the OEM X-51 inside piping diameter is 48mm. I wonder what size the Fabspeed headers uses....

Of course, I understand this information maybe proprietary to Fabspeed so I am not looking for the exact diameter. All I am interested to know is whether the Fabspeed headers has primaries sized bigger/smaller than the OEM X-51 headers. I assume also that the Fabspeed headers use a larger piping diameter than the OEM 997.1S headers....

Piping diameter and runner length both contribute to how much and where the torque will be so I hope telling us the relative size of the piping isn't giving away too much info.

Old 05-17-2017 | 08:42 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by lowbee
I read that the OEM 997.1S headers have inside piping diameter of 43mm and the OEM X-51 inside piping diameter is 48mm. I wonder what size the Fabspeed headers uses....

Of course, I understand this information maybe proprietary to Fabspeed so I am not looking for the exact diameter. All I am interested to know is whether the Fabspeed headers has primaries sized bigger/smaller than the OEM X-51 headers. I assume also that the Fabspeed headers use a larger piping diameter than the OEM 997.1S headers....

Piping diameter and runner length both contribute to how much and where the torque will be so I hope telling us the relative size of the piping isn't giving away too much info.
I'd be happy to share some dimensions, as you might know we use T304L .065 wall stainless steel. Our primaries on this model are 1.75" or just under 45mm taking the wall into consideration our inside diameter is actually 41mm. We have designed and tested countless prototypes back when this car was new and found the best power and sound with this design. Going with smaller diameter tubing actually speeds up the exhaust velocity just like blowing through a drinking straw compared to a paper towel roll. In conjunction with our longer primaries we got the power and the sound we wanted.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, I am here to assist in anyway I can!

Old 05-17-2017 | 08:50 AM
Just did an oil change this morning and snapped a couple pics of my complete Fabspeed setup (Skid Plate is LN Engineering's Stainless version and really helps to protect the MantisSport 2L Deep Sump also installed).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.