997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Near CD quality Sirius install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 01:14 PM
loliver is infamous around these parts
Near CD quality Sirius install

This is the 3rd install try of my Sirius S50 radio. It works perfectly.
The FM modulator is hard wired to the unit and the car antenna. It stops the signal from the car antenna and then sends a signal through to the radio. It is very clear. In fact I set my Sirius to the strongest station in town and it played through perfectly. The S50 is very sleek looking. It records up to 50 hours of Sirius program or MP3 from your own collection. It doesn't look too out of place mounted in the car. This is 100% better than a transmitted FM modulator. The top head removes for carry with earplugs, recorded material only though.
These are the part numbers from Crutchfield to make it work.
# 60714110 FM Modulator relay
#12040EU10 Euro Antenna Adapter OEM F to Motorola M
#12040EU20 Euro Antenna Adapter OEM M to Motorola F

Old 01-26-2006, 03:48 PM
Here is a picture

Attached Images  
Old 01-26-2006, 06:20 PM
alin330 is infamous around these parts
How much is the installation cost?

Old 01-26-2006, 06:25 PM
Turn PSM Off
TheJudge is infamous around these parts
How is Sirius? How about the sports talk?

Old 01-27-2006, 06:58 AM
The install was about 5 hours from start to finish. The antenna for Sirius is under the plastic cowl under the windshield wipers. This is also where Porsche puts the GPS antenna. With the radio, parts, and installation its around $1000.

Sirius programing is the best. I used to have a couple XM sets and there is no comparison. I am not a sports guy, but the music choices are far better. And don't forget Howard Stern

Old 01-27-2006, 12:27 PM
Banned
sticky is infamous around these parts
Is there a way to do it without the FM modulator and just hookup directly to the head unit?

Old 01-27-2006, 03:05 PM
mishref is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by sticky
Is there a way to do it without the FM modulator and just hookup directly to the head unit?
Installers have'nt found a way to hack the MOST bus yet, the only way to get music is through FM; Or you could gut the system/head unit.

Old 01-28-2006, 08:20 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
i'd say it's a nice setup if it was xm

hope you have no interest in listening to stern on friday's since he's only working four days a week.

at least you can walk around with your unit and listen to it live. oh wait, i'm sorry you can't. i must have been thinking of my xm myfi.

poor little doggy radio. always a day late and a dollar short. or make that 50 million short after they blew their entire budget to get stern he's so gonna flop on satellite radio.

all kidding aside, you install does look nice.

Old 01-28-2006, 11:51 AM
MCJ
MCJ is infamous around these partsMCJ is infamous around these parts
Let me guess, you also own shares of XM. It's amazing how much of a gripe there is between the two and it all seems to stem from their stock performance.

In five years both companies will be very profitable. I always say it's like the evolution of cable and how none of the analyst thought consumers would actually pay for extra channels. I guess time will only tell.

BTW, I have Sirius in both mine and my wife's car. XM just didn't cut it for me.

Originally Posted by deputydog95
i'd say it's a nice setup if it was xm

hope you have no interest in listening to stern on friday's since he's only working four days a week.

at least you can walk around with your unit and listen to it live. oh wait, i'm sorry you can't. i must have been thinking of my xm myfi.

poor little doggy radio. always a day late and a dollar short. or make that 50 million short after they blew their entire budget to get stern he's so gonna flop on satellite radio.

all kidding aside, you install does look nice.

Last edited by MCJ; 01-28-2006 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:05 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
actually i don't own any shares. what part of xm didn't "cut it for you"?

frankly, their programming is almost identical, with the nod to xm for talk radio. sirius has the nfl which is great if you drive around in your car on sunday afternoons.

i'm not sure about sirious' profability with all the money they spent on stern. i'll be shocked if he is sucessful on satellite radio. they have sunk a ton of capitol to retain stern in hopes he will draw a significant amount of new subscribers. xm actually turned stern down because they knew he was not worth the money he was asking. there is a recent article on sirius and their finances. i'll try and dig it up.

bottom line is that xm has double the subscribers, and seems to have better vision than the doggy radio. xm programming is now available on satellite TV and they have also signed a deal with the today show to broadcast that. xm keeps coming up with new and innovative ways to connect with their subscribers.

even if you take the nearly identical programming out of the equation, xm's equipment has always been one step ahead of sirius. probably because sirius is putting all their eggs into the stern basket instead of development costs. you should see the stuff that xm is going to release at the end of the first quarter.