997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

My P-Car finally is reality - New to the Forum

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2019 | 03:30 PM
|
FlatsixS is infamous around these parts
My P-Car finally is reality - New to the Forum

Hi, just purchased my first P-car a few days ago (A long awaited dream of +30 years), and this is also my first post here after a year and half searching for a good example (and right priced) of a 2006/2007 911 C2S (997.1) 6M with relatively low miles. Last year was focused mainly in finding one locally (200 miles around) and found 2 potential candidates that I test drove. However, for the first one my offer was not accepted, and the other was sold very fast so I didn’t have even the chance to make an offer. Then I decided to expand the search to internet sites as (Bringatrailer, Autotrade, Cargurus, etc) and also purchased subscriptions to Porsche forums as Rennlist and PCA among others websites. (previously was just a reader of this forum for my research of 997s). Having good info and excellent classifieds section of potential cars, I customized the searches to be notified as soon as a car with my personal inquiries was on sale. After sorting out a lot of cars and armed with a lot of research, a nice 2006 example in cabriolet form finally was advertised by a private seller with just shy of 40K miles. The car was located out of my state (almost 1000 miles away) so I contacted the seller to ask for more detailed info of the car, including pictures, confirmed VIN number, Carfax report (I run a new report again myself), all service records and invoices of the work performed for him during his 5 year ownership. Additionally, a nice, good and honest communication held with the seller, (who answered all my inquiries), was a key part to convince me to travel there to see/check/drive the car in person with the promise to purchase it on the spot if all was as described.

So last weekend I flew out there, and was picked it up at the airport, and drive the thing and well… Oh man, this car was spot on! Looked nice, very well cared as indicated, practically free scratches (just a couple of small ones below front bumper -an easy fix-, and everything in working condition. The car was serviced -as promised- just two days before my arrival, with fresh oil change, and a full flush of brake fluid, an a detailed inspection performed. All came up OK from the shop.

After the test driving, it felt solid, no squeaks, no vibrations. Excellent, sharp fast steering feeling of the road. All matching with a very nice pushing and powerful engine (and sound), no traces of white smoke, or any excess of sooth in tailpipes, and the 6M gearbox and clutch feeling was perfectly tight, very “mechanical”, strong but smooth to operate. All in all the car was(is) flawless. My inspection didn’t trickle any alarm on my head, and after finished all my check marks, everything looked good. With all this info on hand I was confident that the car was well maintained. Service records indicated new clutch at 30K, cable starter & battery replaced, water pump replaced at 30K, tires with only 1.5K (rears) and 10K (front), and all the service records performed. Of course, Purchasing a used car always involves some risk (specially for a 13 year old P-car), so every buyer must take this experience as a little bit of gambling, and hoping that at the end get good luck.

So after all this time doing research, I realized that I just found my 997. Then, was easy to pull the trigger and closed the deal right there.

Of course as any owner of a sports car I know that eventually something will arise, maybe the AOS, or brakes, tires, etc, so I already spared a fair budget for upkeeping and potential repairs. After all, we need to keep on mind that -even considering its actual depreciation cost- you end up having an still +$100K high performance car on your budget that must be maintained.

Very happy now that she sits in my garage.

I’ll post later my impressions of an epic (for me) 2 days, 1000 miles ride to bring this beauty back to its new home.
Looking forwerd to share my impressions and experience with the car. Also I'll ask for advice as needed for proper maintenace and care.

Regards,
FlatsixS

Old 08-02-2019 | 08:58 PM
Racer911S is infamous around these parts
Congrats and enjoy the new ride!

Old 08-03-2019 | 06:58 AM
|
Thanks Racer911S!

Old 08-03-2019 | 10:01 AM
Nastee_C4S is infamous around these parts
Congrats looks good

Old 08-04-2019 | 07:18 AM
|
Thanks! Your C4S too.

Old 08-04-2019 | 07:22 AM
|
Originally Posted by Racer911S
Congrats and enjoy the new ride!
Thanks! Nice looking car. Seems that you're in the right location (near COTA). Perfect location if you want to track your car. (I'm in Houston btw).

Old 08-04-2019 | 07:13 PM
Michaelwww is a jewel in the roughMichaelwww is a jewel in the roughMichaelwww is a jewel in the rough
Very nice 👍 I also just purchased a 2006 c2s cabriolet manual with 44k miles. Very similar experience. So far it has been my favorite car I have owned.

Old 08-05-2019 | 07:14 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Welcome and congrats! Great choice in exterior color. ...... (I'm biased to white and all currently owned cars are white)

Old 08-05-2019 | 08:32 AM
|
Originally Posted by XLR82XS
Welcome and congrats! Great choice in exterior color. ...... (I'm biased to white and all currently owned cars are white)
Haha! I was lucky certainly! Even as I’m not particularly picky among colors (for an used car) white IS my favorite color. It’s funny as during my search for the right 997, my priorities were (in importance order) 1.-Must be 6M, and 911S (like that setup aesthetically and optioned) 2.- Good or excellent mechanical condition/care/records, 3. As Few miles as possible(aiming to 30-40k, but being flexible depending of care, conditions, maintenance records), 4.-Absolutely No track record, 5.-in my budget price, 6.- few options (the least the better), 7.- Car must be all Porsche original as was its released year (absolutely No-No to any mechanical/aesthetic mods, hey Porsche guys know to build cars right? And I want to experience exactly its original performance, sound, ride, handling, brakes, etc); and at the bottom of the list was color and body type (I didn’t have any preference for Coupe or Cabriolet, but after I tested a couple of cabriolets (with top up and down) I was more inclined to the convertible than coupe, as seems more fun specially in sunny, southern regions (also my wife love cabriolets (specially in white). During my 1-1/2 year search, Almost all cars that I tested/checked, were black or gray, so I had a very slim chance to get a P-white car... until I found this nice example, I paid asking price (don’t ask) as it checked/fitted almost all my preferences and because I really valued a very nice, honest communication with the previous owner during the negotiations. He actually spend 800$ In maintenance, service and inspection right before my purchase, to assure the car was in top notch condition for my 1000 miles road trip back to home. So yes I can’t be more happy with this purchase.

Last edited by FlatsixS; 08-19-2019 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-09-2019 | 09:03 PM
Civicbeater is infamous around these parts
Congrats!!

Old 08-10-2019 | 05:45 AM
|
Originally Posted by Civicbeater
Congrats!!
Thanks!

Old 08-12-2019 | 07:10 PM
CoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really nice
Congrats and welcome!!

Old 08-12-2019 | 08:46 PM
|
Originally Posted by CoreyC2S
Congrats and welcome!!
Thank you! Enjoying it a lot.

Old 08-19-2019 | 06:59 PM
Wschomburg is infamous around these parts
Congrats. your first few sentence mimics my first P-Car experience as well. I have had my 09 C4 for 1 year. Bought it with 28K mi it now has 41K miles on it. I just go out every weekend and rack up 3-400 miles in the twisties of West VA. I truly love this car for sure. It's everything I hoped it would be. Welcome!!

Old 08-19-2019 | 09:24 PM
|
Originally Posted by Wschomburg
Congrats. your first few sentence mimics my first P-Car experience as well. I have had my 09 C4 for 1 year. Bought it with 28K mi it now has 41K miles on it. I just go out every weekend and rack up 3-400 miles in the twisties of West VA. I truly love this car for sure. It's everything I hoped it would be. Welcome!!
Thanks Wschomburg! the car is fantastic. I really enjoy being at the wheel, with almost a telephatic connection for turns and its flatsix roaring when I rev it. Of course, living in Houston, maybe the only thing that I'm missing is a near nice twist mountain road, just enough to justify working the revs with its excellent 6M and the sharp-precise wheel. This is when -I think- the Porsche is made for, and where the car truly shines and outperform almost any other sport car (maybe with the exception of those exotic italians, but that's other league). Still I'm going to do a little search for some local interesting roads and also looking forward to meet with other Porsche enthusiasts.
Certainly you are truly enjoying your C4, and not as your daily driver precisely! ;-) Regards.

Last edited by FlatsixS; 08-19-2019 at 09:27 PM. Reason: spelling

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My P-Car finally is reality - New to the Forum