997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

New Wheels And Tps On-board Computer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 10:41 PM
drbill is infamous around these parts
New Wheels And Tps On-board Computer

The 997 has an on-board tire pressure computer and after putting on my new wheels today it is remaining inactive and will not reset.As a result, I have annoying alarm symbol, lights on my dash that will not go off. It seems as if the porsche wheels have a built in transmitter near the airvalve on inside of wheel that sets up and programs the TPC. Obviously, I don't have this on my new wheels and it is fixed on each of porsche wheels. I cannot reset the TPC and the -"inactive TPC-LEARNING TO RESET" notice remains on my dash since it is not resetting...need help on how to deactivate the system/override system since i don't have transmitters on new wheels...I am sure any 997 owner who changed wheels had this issue and please advise!

Last edited by drbill; 03-02-2006 at 11:00 PM.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:53 AM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
This is an option so not all 997's have it. You're best bet is to have the dealer disable it.

Old 03-03-2006, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by 03-turbo911
This is an option so not all 997's have it. You're best bet is to have the dealer disable it.
Can it be disabled and how is it done? i was told the transmitters will not fit unto the new wheel...sounds crazy that porsche made these transmitters custom made for only original wheel on car!

Old 03-03-2006, 10:16 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
We run into this all the time and separate "TPMS" wheels from "non TPMS" wheels for the same car in our system. Most of the wheels we carry will accept the sensor, which is a transmitter and part of the valve stem. Most cars we run into will not allow a dash light to be turned off unless a transmitter is installed into the wheel. So I doubt taking it to the dealer will help, but it's worth asking them. Here's one installed in a wheel....

Attached Images  

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 03-03-2006, 10:28 AM
Trundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond repute
Damon is correct!
They are just generic Beru transmitters that should work just fine in your new wheels!
Get the transmitters back and give them a try!!

http://www.beru.com/download/produkt...tung_tss_e.pdf

Old 03-03-2006, 03:31 PM
Just spent almost one hour at dealer and there best tech could not locate on the PIWIS computer how to disengage TPC system He tried every option and no where led to disengagement... anyone know or could consult there porsche tech on how to deactivate and from what category in PIWIS computer....if it can't and the transmitter does not fit unto new wheel what am i to do???

Old 03-03-2006, 04:28 PM
Now this going from bad to worse....just got off the phone and wheel enhancement told me the wheels are 3 pc forged and reverse lip so the transmitter cannot fit unto valve stem as it normally does...that i would need to "strap" the transmitter to inside of the wheel They are going to test it out to make sure it works.....

Old 03-03-2006, 05:27 PM
911 X50 is infamous around these parts
Hope you get this sorted out!Surely you're not the only person on the entire planet that has had this problem??
I dont know how you would 'strap' the transmitter to the inside of the wheel though.Maybe you could urethane the transmitter on?
Keep us posted.....

Old 03-03-2006, 08:56 PM
ESK
Hick from NH
ESK is infamous around these parts
I had TPMS on my Cayenne Turbo and switched the wheels to Techart. There was a setting that was accessed through the on board computer that allowed TPMS to be shut off.

Old 03-04-2006, 06:26 PM
Brought car into porsche dealer today after telling them i got back sensors and have straps from wheel manufacturer today to reinstall for TPC.After waiting 1 hr they come out to tell me they can't do it b/c they called PNA and was told the TPC is a second generation system and if installed out of standard position it won't work and can destroy entire computer system and cost thousands and out of warranty! Then the GM starts telling me that each sensor is wheel specific with different frequency and i gave them w/o location.
'Are you f-cking kidding me i said and then asked him...if each one wheel specific then tell me part no. for each and he tells me all same identical part no..'"Well then they must be all same..and he says yeah, it seems that way but they won't be responsible if damage to rim, computer etc
So now i am pissed and i rip into him right in front of an audience.How can you come out 1 hr later and tell me this sh-t..so what am i to do..live with the chimes,lights,etc and he says yes!!!
i demand my car and keys and storm out..
I head to the tire guy who installed nw wheels and tomorrow he will put on sensors with straps and i will keep my fingers crossed. I don't see why if sensors are all the same(which they must be) and strapped in close prximity of inner wheel under tire by the air valve why it won't work..once they are on i just drive for 20 min and TPS should learn new setup and DONE!

Old 03-04-2006, 06:54 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
It makes me so mad to hear stories like this. Everyone wants to sell wheels but nobody wants to be brought up to speed on the sensor issue. Next year these sytems will be mandatory and many (I hate to say most, but I fear it's true) are still clueless. You went through a lot of unneccessary anguish over something the wheel shop should have known up front. They fact that everyone has just floundered since makes it worse. Call me if I can help.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 03-04-2006, 11:42 PM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
Had the same on the Cayenne and the dealer switched it off for me. Thought it was the same system on your carrera 4.

Good luck and I hope it works for you.

Old 03-05-2006, 08:58 AM
Basic Sponsor
Wheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond repute
My understanding is in all 2006 models (regardless of make) the systems cannot be disabled. The sensors have a 16 or 18 digit serial number on them, the dealer can hard code this in. When we send wheels/tires with sensors we mark each tire with the serial # so the dealer knows which position is what.

If the sensor is installed in the wrong position all it means is that it will show the wrong tire is flat in the event of a low-pressure reading.

Each car can accept up to at least 2 sets of wheels/tires with diff sensors - this is required since a lot of cars will need snow wheels/tires in the winter.

http://www.wheelexperts.com
email: peter@wheelexperts.com

HRE | Forgeline | Modulare | PUR | TechArt | Brabus | Novitec | Vossen | Avant Garde | Vorsteiner | BBS | Eisenmann | Quicksilver | Brembo | KW | WALD | +many more

***DFW Showroom now OPEN at 4515 McEwen Rd in Dallas, 1 block West of the Dallas Galleria***

***WE SHIP WORLDWIDE!!!!!***
Old 03-05-2006, 10:10 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
That's great info Peter.

Dr Bill: Who did you buy the rims from? I'd take it up with them instead of the dealer. Whoever you bot the wheels from, they should take it back. You should have gotten wheels that take your factory sensor. That's a mandatory consideration when buying rims when you have TPMS. I think you bear some responsibility for being an uninformed customer also.

Old 03-05-2006, 10:17 AM
Basic Sponsor
Wheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond repute
The straps will work, we use them all the time. Of course, as a wheel supplier, it is easier if the customer tells us if the car has TPMS or not, since MOST cars actually do not have this system (yet).

All models of the 2007 S-class come with TPMS std. I believe most other 07 models will also, like Damon said earlier. Even the F430 has the TPMS now.

http://www.wheelexperts.com
email: peter@wheelexperts.com

HRE | Forgeline | Modulare | PUR | TechArt | Brabus | Novitec | Vossen | Avant Garde | Vorsteiner | BBS | Eisenmann | Quicksilver | Brembo | KW | WALD | +many more

***DFW Showroom now OPEN at 4515 McEwen Rd in Dallas, 1 block West of the Dallas Galleria***

***WE SHIP WORLDWIDE!!!!!***