997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Sports Exhaust, Is it loud enough? Sport Shift, anyone got it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 06:57 PM
Ray
Former Vendor
Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !
i just heard the PSE today, not loud enough ... I think the 996 PSE is much louder.

My friend has full AWE, much louder and "RAW". But then is too race car sound for everyday car to me.

Old 03-18-2006, 07:06 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Shawn C
Wow, That sounds sick!
Link: http://www.awe-tuning.com/media/mult...em%20LoRes.wmv

I am thinking, Headers, Cats and leave the stock sport exhaust alone.
Coils or springs and an EVO intake. At least for starters

Ahhhh, that sounds perfect!

Old 03-19-2006, 01:42 AM
Turn PSM Off
TheJudge is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by schicago
i have the sport shifter i notice a metallic sound when i shift from 1st to 2nd like hitting a metal object. i'm bringing it to the dealer for service.
I DONT HAVE THE SHORT SHIFTER AND I FEEL A METALLIC NOTCHY SHIFT ALMOST EVERY TIME I SHIFT. COLD OR NOT. IST GEAR OR SECOND OR THIRD. PRETTY FED UP. I FIGURED ITS NORMAL.

MY CAR IS LIKE A REALLY HOT CHICK WHO IS DUMB AND ANNOYING 90% OF THE TIME. bUT WHEN YOUR'E TAPPIN IT, YOUR'E IN HEAVEN.

Old 03-19-2006, 01:29 PM
JCS
JCS is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TheJudge
I DONT HAVE THE SHORT SHIFTER AND I FEEL A METALLIC NOTCHY SHIFT ALMOST EVERY TIME I SHIFT. COLD OR NOT. IST GEAR OR SECOND OR THIRD. PRETTY FED UP. I FIGURED ITS NORMAL.

MY CAR IS LIKE A REALLY HOT CHICK WHO IS DUMB AND ANNOYING 90% OF THE TIME. bUT WHEN YOUR'E TAPPIN IT, YOUR'E IN HEAVEN.

There is definitely something wrong with your shifter.
The standard shifter should be smooth as silk. PERIOD.
After all, you are not driving a 'vette.
Bring it to the dealer ,tell him to fix it and don't take no for an answer .

I installed the sport shifter myself and kept adjusting the cables until the shifts were right . I never experienced any of the problems others keep reporting .

Old 03-20-2006, 04:38 PM
Richard997 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 20C4S
i have the sport shifter but i don't like it all the time. it needs ''effort'' to get into gear sometimes & not smooth like the normal shifter. if i had ordered the car i wouldn't option it.

same for the PSE. love the sound but it cuts off @ most RPM. u can only hear it at around 3k to 4k. know how to play with it u can hear it at 2,500 & little above 4k. love the sound when i can hear it. just wish i can hear it all the time.
That was one of the main reasons why I pickup the CAB!!! Love that sound at any RPM!!!

Old 03-20-2006, 05:08 PM
icon is infamous around these parts
my car came with the standard shifter and i had the sport shifter installed.
no problems with shifting but would rather of had a physically shorter shifter as well. would not install if i had to do over.

why anyone would buy pse when you can get hp as well as sound, with other systems at similar prices, is beyond me.

Last edited by icon; 03-20-2006 at 10:00 PM.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:21 PM
dstrimbu is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Shawn C
Thanks Don, How would you compare it to a Fabspeed?
Hey Shawn:

The Fabspeed is always "on", of course - and I'm sure that you can get a couple more horsies out of the motor with the full Fabspeed system + cats.

PSE is pretty rorty when the bypass is open, "normal" when the engine computer decides to close the bypass pipes. As some folks have said, it seems to have a bit of a mind of its own, but I'm sure that the system is following a fairly Germanic set of rules in the ECU.

Personally, I like the dual personality that PSE offers. Porsche documentation alludes to the fact that the action of the PSE is related to throttle pedal angle of attack, eGas input "impulse" and engine RPM. The more you play, the more braaaapppp you can get out of it. Stepping into the gas pedal smartly gives you full sound, dropping back to cruise quiets down.

It's fun because as much as I love this car's sound, sometimes you'd just like to listen to the radio... PSE absolutely does not drone at cruise - and this car is such a superb highway driver. The Billy Boat system in my buddy's 996 Targa is totally obnoxious on the freeway - so much drone that he just keeps the top closed. Dumb, IMHO.

My neighbor stopped by Saturday (he has a C5 Z06 and a C6 Cab) to tell me that he could hear me loud and clear as I drove by - from well inside his house. He had a big-assed grin on his face, so I don't think that anyone was offended...

Personally, the PSE works for me because this car is a daily driver. If I was going to build a toy for the track (or just sunny Sundays), I'd =definitely= consider the Fabspeed or Tubi route.

Finally - PSE's ability to "quiet things down fast" might have saved my license this afternoon... the officer heard something but by the time he saw me, I was gliding by at 36mph. Gotta love the red brakes, too. Next car, YELLOW brakes.

Let us know what you do!

-don

Old 03-21-2006, 04:27 AM
2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold
Shawn,

My tech installed a switch to bypass the cutouts on the PSE on my 2006 997S cab. If I press the sport switch, the car switches to PASM stiff, sport mode, and PSE on with cutouts so I know where the cutouts are. When I am out of sport mode, the tech installed switch works and bypasses the cutouts.

The normal PSE cutouts are right at the sweet spots, just as the exhaust starts to get nice and loud, it cuts out. I would highly recommend that if you get it, you have the switch installed as well.

I posted a sound clip before but it disappeared with the changes to the board. I posted it again in another thread where someone requested it.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=44990

You can hear the difference between PSE on and off.

Old 03-21-2006, 07:40 AM
Shawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond repute
Great sound clip, Thanks

Old 03-23-2006, 01:55 AM
Kevin034 is infamous around these parts
got both PSE and SS, love both.

Old 03-23-2006, 02:48 AM
Originally Posted by Kevin034
got both PSE and SS, love both.
Kevin, what is SS? Thanks!

Old 03-23-2006, 02:58 AM
2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold
Short shift

Old 03-23-2006, 03:02 AM
Robert, IC IC....I thought it was part of the exhaust system.....

Old 03-23-2006, 11:42 AM
Redlined has a spectacular aura aboutRedlined has a spectacular aura about
Shawn, consider a dealer installed PSE at delivery. No cut outs possible My SS is very smooth but then again the stock shift is already pretty decent. IMO the stock 997 shift is far superior to the 996 version and the 997 PSE is slightly louder and definitely has a deeper note than the 996 version.

Old 03-23-2006, 02:43 PM
Shawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond repute
Actually decided to keep the Sport exhaust and add EVO Headers, Sport Cats, and Airbox. Hope the buttons still works lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sports Exhaust, Is it loud enough? Sport Shift, anyone got it?