997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

HELP FRUNK wont open!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2022, 02:17 PM
GCB
GCB is infamous around these parts
HELP FRUNK wont open!!

997.1 Carrera S
Front trunk will not open with foot sill switch or with key fob.
I hear the solenoid clicking under hood area... so I assume fuse is fine.

Battery is fine as well... I also tried the fuse panel jump just in case.
ALSO... I just pulled the Drivers wheel well plastic to access the emergency pull cable and it was NOT there??? the grommet was there but no cable?? I also pulled out the drivers side turn signal lens and don't see any cable access. NOW WHAT???? Can I access the cable from anywhere else? help please??

Last edited by GCB; 07-22-2022 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-30-2022, 08:27 PM
PSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
Does the hood pop up slightly at all, or it just stays in the "flush" position?

Last edited by PSPorsche; 07-31-2022 at 07:09 AM.
Old 07-31-2022, 12:35 AM
GCB
not at all.....my indy shop is going to use those mini inflatable shims under left side.. between bumber and hood... will inflate them enogh to get a thin (grinded down/bent) wrrench in and hopefully loosen the latch on the hood..
sees like a good idea....... as nothing else is working. this is crazy!!!

Old 08-04-2022, 09:55 AM
///Malcontent is infamous around these parts
There is a manual pull cord behind the left-front forward wheel well liner.

Old 08-04-2022, 11:33 AM
GCB
thanks for responding....as mentioned in my post....
I looked everywhere for the emergency cable... it is NO WHERE to be found.

Old 08-04-2022, 11:50 PM
sandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by GCB
thanks for responding....as mentioned in my post....
I looked everywhere for the emergency cable... it is NO WHERE to be found.
It's notoriously hard to find and access and to make it work once you get to it but it's there. One poster a while back claimed to have accessed it and got the frunk opened without even removing the left front wheel. Hard enough with the wheel removed so I'm skeptical but if he did it as he said, well done. Would love to see a video of that operation.

Old 08-05-2022, 06:40 AM
GCB
Well... finally the 'OPERATION' was a success!

To your comment Sandwedge... I had the wheel well liner out a couple times doing deep searches everywhere for the cable. And.. yes, I was able to get the liner out inside and below the car while parked in my garage... you just need to rotate wheel to full left to access it the best.

The car was at my indy shop for a week with them trying to find the cable. What they FINALLY were able to do was...from underneath the car, using a very heavy guage wire.. fish it up, around and to, the cable right at the latch...They were able to then pull hard at that cable and pop the trunk.

This was definitely a rare issue... and one that nobody, (I can find.. anyways) had every come across before.

Oh.. and by the way... once they got the trunk open and accessed the actual latch cable... they found the so called emergency cable... it was just laying there behind the carpet (attached to the main cable) ... it was just never run along and into the (L) wheel well where it should have been.... So, it never would have been found or reached outside the car.

This was a crazy ride folks... but thank you all who commented and tried to help!!

Last edited by GCB; 08-06-2022 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-06-2022, 01:01 AM
sandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by GCB

To your comment Sandwedge... I had the wheel well liner out a couple times doing deep searches everywhere for the cable. And.. yes, I was able to get the liner out inside and below the car while parked in my garage... you just need to rotate wheel to full left to access it the best.

The car was at my indy shop for a week with them trying to find the cable. What they FINALLY were able to do was...from underneath the car, using a very heavy guage wire.. fish it up, around and to, the cable for the inside frunk emergency 'lever'. They were able to then pull that cable and pop the trunk.

This was definitely a rare issue... and one that nobody, (I can find.. anyways) had every come across before.

Oh.. and by the way... once they got the trunk open and accessed the actual latch cable... they found the so called emergency cable... it was just laying there behind the carpet (attached to the main cable) ... it was just never run along and into the (L) wheel well where it should have been.... So, it never would have been found or reached outside the car.

This was a crazy ride folks... but thank you all who commented and tried to help!!
Great news. There are a lot of stories about the "unable to access the frunk" here but many more on Rennlist. I've been there with my long gone -06 C4S. Crazy ride just like yours and it's been a while so I can't remember the exact details but I remember the outcome. It involved minor work at the dealership which required reprogramming of the electronics which for some reason also required reprogramming of the ignition key. Then the car was transferred to a body shop to finalize the work. And this is where things went south.

Once the car was ready for pick up they locked the car up and left the key in the frunk after asking me if I had a second key. I did and told them so. What wasn't communicated between the dealership, the body shop and me was that the reprogramming of the ignition key they had while my second key had not been reprogrammed rendered my second key worthless.

Got to the body shop after hours to pick up the car with my second key which of course wouldn't get me into either the car or the frunk. So dead in the water. Just rode back home with my wife who took me there. Next day, the dealership had to send a tech to the body shop with a jack and a lug wrench since he couldn't turn the wheel. He accessed the cable in the left front wheel well and got the reprogrammed key out of the frunk. At least they didn't charge me for this cleanup.

Old 08-06-2022, 08:26 AM
GCB
thanks Sandwedge.... be thankful your emergency release cable was there!! :~)

take care!!

Old 08-06-2022, 06:51 PM
jchapura has a spectacular aura aboutjchapura has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by GCB
GCB, what was wrong and preventing the frunk latch from opening (with the sill switch or remote)? What was the fix?

Now that you have access, take a look at this video to see a way to make it easier to access the frunk.

Last edited by jchapura; 08-06-2022 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-07-2022, 09:46 AM
GCB
jchapura.... The solonoid that pulls the cable was too weak. Although I heard it activate it wasnt strong enough to pull the cable.
The indy shop eventually popped the trunk by routing a wire from under the car up to the cable right at the latch then pulled rediculously hard and fortunately got it.

They replaced the latch and the cable/solonoid.. which includes the emergency cable.. they routed it back to the left wheel well where it belongs. Which is fine... because I can access it pretty easily with the tire on....

Hey... is that your car in your photo? what options do you have? I have the same C2S in meteor gray... manual trans, full leather, adaptive seats, sport chrono, PSE exhaust, Soul headers and a recently new 4.0 liter engine built by flat 6 innovations (Jake Raby). Last year got hit with the dreaded bore scoring issue.

Old 08-07-2022, 01:56 PM
jchapura has a spectacular aura aboutjchapura has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by GCB
...replaced the latch and the cable/solonoid.

Hey... is that your car in your photo? what options do you have? I have the same C2S in meteor gray... manual trans, full leather, adaptive seats, sport chrono, PSE exhaust, Soul headers and a recently new 4.0 liter engine built by flat 6 innovations (Jake Raby). Last year got hit with the dreaded bore scoring issue.
Thanks for the repair info.

Mine is Seal Gray, 6MT, sport Chrono, Bose, Gundo-ed mufflers, FF v2 engine mounts and trannie inserts. I scrapped the original struts in favor of Ohlins R&Ts. I run 15mm spacers all-around.

Did your Porsche always live in "warm" Arizona? Mine lived south of the Mason-Dixie line all its life until 2 years ago. I don't have any symptoms of bore scoring, thankfully. Since I've owned it, I've used Driven DT40. An M97 engine rebuild would likely not be in the cards for me - just too expensive (and especially considering the overall market value of a 2005 C2S).

Last edited by jchapura; 08-08-2022 at 07:30 AM.
Old 08-08-2022, 12:19 AM
Originally Posted by GCB
jchapura.... The solonoid that pulls the cable was too weak. Although I heard it activate it wasnt strong enough to pull the cable.
The indy shop eventually popped the trunk by routing a wire from under the car up to the cable right at the latch then pulled rediculously hard and fortunately got it.

They replaced the latch and the cable/solonoid.. which includes the emergency cable.. they routed it back to the left wheel well where it belongs. Which is fine... because I can access it pretty easily with the tire on....

German engineering at its finest. What a mess out of something that should be a lot less complicated. But even the best can't be perfect all the time I guess.

Old 08-08-2022, 08:40 AM
GCB
Originally Posted by sandwedge
German engineering at its finest. What a mess out of something that should be a lot less complicated. But even the best can't be perfect all the time I guess.
Your totally right... awful design

Old 08-08-2022, 08:48 AM
GCB
Originally Posted by jchapura
Thanks for the repair info.

Mine is Seal Gray, 6MT, sport Chrono, Bose, Gundo-ed mufflers, FF v2 engine mounts and trannie inserts. I scrapped the original struts in favor of Ohlins R&Ts. I run 15mm spacers all-around.

Did your Porsche always live in "warm" Arizona? Mine lived south of the Mason-Dixie line all its life until 2 years ago. I don't have any symptoms of bore scoring, thankfully. Since I've owned it, I've used Driven DT40. An M97 engine rebuild would likely not be in the cards for me - just too expensive (and especially considering the overall market value of a 2005 C2S).
Your car is spec'd nice as well! I'm currently thinking what to do about my suspension... it's pretty much original.. but its PASM so I like being able to set the shocks to normal or sport mode when needed... I installed the DSC Sport controller recently which is awesome...

I have about 160k miles on it.. and its in prestine condition.. so when the bore scoring hit... I wanted to really keep the car as I really enjoy it.. its optioned great and I know everything I did to it mechanically and it was worth it to bring it back to life .. especially being able to get a F6I engine which is rare. The price of used cars as you know now are off the charts so that too played into the decision... Take care...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HELP FRUNK wont open!!