997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

carrera vs carrera s (supercharged)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 08:24 PM
caymanSuper is just really nicecaymanSuper is just really nicecaymanSuper is just really nicecaymanSuper is just really nicecaymanSuper is just really nice
carrera vs carrera s (supercharged)

i am looing into getting an either 997 or 997s, but i know that i am going to be supercharging it. so do you think i should go ahead and spend the extra 10 thousand $ and get the 997s. then supercharge it or dont worry about it and just save the money and get the 997 and supercharge it??? is the 997 alot slower stock on stock and also after the supercharger. then the 997s??? and by how much? thanks

Old 05-17-2006, 04:46 AM
porschester is infamous around these parts
if you want more power get the Carrera S , more power , get the power kit , more power get the GT3 , more power get the Turbo...

I dont suggest supercharging....

Old 05-17-2006, 07:07 AM
gravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by porschester
if you want more power get the Carrera S , more power , get the power kit , more power get the GT3 , more power get the Turbo...

What evidence do you have to suggest this is a bad idea?

Old 05-17-2006, 07:08 AM
MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by porschester
I would, politely, beg to differ. Check my thread under 997 "My Supercharged 997S". Quite a difference for a very reasonable investment.

As for the 997 vs. 997S, I think the S is worth the difference, even if you are planinng to supercharge. More bottom end, and a few more options included.

Old 05-17-2006, 08:42 AM
pdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to behold
Read this page:

http://www.evoms.com/porsche%20ec%20art%20test.htm

As you can see the Supercharged 997 puts out 470hp while the supercharge 997s puts out 475hp. I think the 997s comes with some better standard features, so that has to come into play...but purely from a power standpoint...you don't get much more with the 997s.

Old 05-17-2006, 08:59 AM
MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pdutta2000
Read this page:

As you can see the Supercharged 997 puts out 470hp while the supercharge 997s puts out 475hp. I think the 997s comes with some better standard features, so that has to come into play...but purely from a power standpoint...you don't get much more with the 997s.
I hear you, but they developed the kit for the 997 first. I think the 997S has been developed further now, as I am getting 515-525hp from my EVOMS kit on my 997S. Another big part of those gains come from the fact that, apparently, the 997S shows greater hp gains when going to a high-performance exhaust setup with headers than the 997 does. Again, I can't say apples to apples, since I don't have the regular 997, but my supercharged 997S is making a ton of power. More than I expected or was led to expect. A pleasant surprise.

Old 05-17-2006, 09:05 AM
MrBonus is infamous around these parts
I don't understand why anyone would boost a high compression N/A 911 when Porsche already makes a turbocharged model.

Old 05-17-2006, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by MrBonus
I don't understand why anyone would boost a high compression N/A 911 when Porsche already makes a turbocharged model.
Um, costs a lot less, you could have it a year-and-a-half sooner, I like the stock narrow body better . . .

That's like saying, "I don't understand why Porsche sells the Carrera Power Kit Option when they make a turbocharged model." Well, let's see, for the $17,000 that the Carrera Power Kit Option costs, you can have a 26 hp gain. Or for the same $17,000, you can have a new exhaust system with headers, cats, and mufflers, plus an EVOMS supercharger kit, installed, and gain 170hp instead of 26. The downside is you give up your warranty. I don't know the pricing on the new 997tt, but I suspect a regular 997 with a supercharger costs A LOT less, with most of the performance. You could build a regular 997 with new exhaust and supercharger for under a hundred grand, and have 525hp or so. Not everyone can afford the tt, and not everyone wants one.

Old 05-17-2006, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by pdutta2000
Read this page:

Disregard my theories above. I forgot DeputyDog got 525hp out of his regular 997 with the addition of supercharger kit and high performance exhaust with headers. He has a LONG thread on here for EVOMS supercharger owners, including before and after dyno graphs. So I would have to say that pdutta2000 is right . . .

Old 05-17-2006, 09:48 AM
pdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to behold
Russ...I actually agree with you that the 997s is the better option. It's 3.8L v 3.6L, better standard features and in all likelyhood...a more powerful tuning program in a year or so.

Re-reading my post...I realize that I forgot to address it correctly...it was supposed to be to the original poster and not you Russ.

At the end of the day...I don't think you can go wrong with either car.

As for why you would get this instead of a turbo...that's simple...it's far cheaper and some people (myself included) just love the look of a standard car...with no wing, etc.

Old 05-17-2006, 10:45 AM
MrBonus is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MexicoBlue
Um, costs a lot less, you could have it a year-and-a-half sooner, I like the stock narrow body better . . .

That's like saying, "I don't understand why Porsche sells the Carrera Power Kit Option when they make a turbocharged model." Well, let's see, for the $17,000 that the Carrera Power Kit Option costs, you can have a 26 hp gain. Or for the same $17,000, you can have a new exhaust system with headers, cats, and mufflers, plus an EVOMS supercharger kit, installed, and gain 170hp instead of 26. The downside is you give up your warranty. I don't know the pricing on the new 997tt, but I suspect a regular 997 with a supercharger costs A LOT less, with most of the performance. You could build a regular 997 with new exhaust and supercharger for under a hundred grand, and have 525hp or so. Not everyone can afford the tt, and not everyone wants one.
Are these superchargers track tested? One of the favorite things about my car (And a TT) is that I can do a weekend DE, go home, flush the brake fluid, and drive it to work on Monday. Can you say the same of your car?

Old 05-17-2006, 04:39 PM
caymanSuper is just really nicecaymanSuper is just really nicecaymanSuper is just really nicecaymanSuper is just really nicecaymanSuper is just really nice
thanks for your answers...

Old 05-18-2006, 01:32 AM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
it's really nice information about the superchrger you are correct more HP for less

Old 05-18-2006, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by MrBonus
Are these superchargers track tested? One of the favorite things about my car (And a TT) is that I can do a weekend DE, go home, flush the brake fluid, and drive it to work on Monday. Can you say the same of your car?
Um sure. I can say the same of my car. I'm not even sure I understand the question really. Of course superchargers in general are track tested over the past few decades. Superchargers on 996's have been tearing up tracks for the past couple of years as great dual-purpose weekend racers and daily drivers. Yes, I have a high compression engine. I'm also running only 4.5 lbs of boost. And I just took it through 300 miles of hot, winding Ozark Mountain roads with nary a hiccup. So can the superchargers be tracked? I assume that's why most people get them! Can I change the brake fluid after? Um, yes. Can I drive it to work on Monday? Um, I'd have to say yes again. Not even sure which way you were leaning with that question? That they won't make good track cars, or that they won't make good street cars? I'd have to say pretty good combination of both. And daunting as a weekend DE sounds (not!), they might even stand up to a little more . . .

Last edited by MexicoBlue; 05-18-2006 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:11 PM
THE STIG is infamous around these parts
Nice answer MB!