997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Spare Tire and the C4S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 08:35 AM
2FST4U is a glorious beacon of light2FST4U is a glorious beacon of light2FST4U is a glorious beacon of light2FST4U is a glorious beacon of light2FST4U is a glorious beacon of light2FST4U is a glorious beacon of light
I Noticed One Important Safety Equipment your Missing from your Pacakge..
"Wheel Chucks" .. The FootPrint of the Jack is not that Wide..and you might end up having to change your Tire on a slight Grade..

Old 12-30-2007, 09:37 AM
Coochas is infamous around these partsCoochas is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 2FST4U
I Noticed One Important Safety Equipment your Missing from your Pacakge..
"Wheel Chucks" .. The FootPrint of the Jack is not that Wide..and you might end up having to change your Tire on a slight Grade..
Interesting point.
I wonder if in a C4/S if simply being in gear is enough to keep the car from rolling on a grade when lifting the rear wheel?
Hopefully I'll never need to find out.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:29 AM
08-911-C4S is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Coochas
Interesting point.
I wonder if in a C4/S if simply being in gear is enough to keep the car from rolling on a grade when lifting the rear wheel?
It is possible that the vehicle will still "creep" with the viscous coupling.

"Wheel Chucks" may be a good addition to your kit!

Old 12-30-2007, 03:09 PM
abe911 is infamous around these parts
I really thought hard about a spare in my Targa 4C....too much space taken up. So I bought a professional plug repair kit, a jack, and a few minor tools. I feel confortable enough that if the tow truck doesn't get there within an hour....I could patch things up okay.
Now, if I were in the middle of the country going somewhere and I have blow out....well that may be a different story.
abe
abe

Old 12-30-2007, 03:35 PM
N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by abe911
I really thought hard about a spare in my Targa 4C....too much space taken up. So I bought a professional plug repair kit, a jack, and a few minor tools. I feel confortable enough that if the tow truck doesn't get there within an hour....I could patch things up okay.
Now, if I were in the middle of the country going somewhere and I have blow out....well that may be a different story.
abe
abe
If I may ask, what/where did you get your pro plug kit?

Thanks

Old 12-30-2007, 05:52 PM
abe911 is infamous around these parts
Google Patchboy.com and look under Plug Kits...

Originally Posted by N2it
If I may ask, what/where did you get your pro plug kit?

Thanks

You will find something that looks like a gun and mushroom shaped plugs, costs $72....and NO you don't patch it from the inside. Its better than the string ones that you buy at pep boys and this system vulcanizes as the tire gets hot. I personally, will use it in an emergency...better than that messy goop.
Furthermore, I will take my chances with it and avoid spending $500 for a new tire...or 1k since you should change both. I don't track and I don't do
over 90mph....I know I am boring. That said, if you get a flat and you go high speed....then do as Porsche says and get it professionally repaired or buy a tire.
abe

Last edited by abe911; 12-30-2007 at 05:54 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:08 PM
N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by abe911
You will find something that looks like a gun and mushroom shaped plugs, costs $72....and NO you don't patch it from the inside. Its better than the string ones that you buy at pep boys and this system vulcanizes as the tire gets hot. I personally, will use it in an emergency...better than that messy goop.
Furthermore, I will take my chances with it and avoid spending $500 for a new tire...or 1k since you should change both. I don't track and I don't do
over 90mph....I know I am boring. That said, if you get a flat and you go high speed....then do as Porsche says and get it professionally repaired or buy a tire.
abe

I will check the link out thanks. This could have saved me at the top of the grapevine...

Old 12-03-2008, 07:00 AM
jag07 is infamous around these parts
Hi everyone!

Coochas, did you ever get to use or try your spare wheel on?

Why I am asking that is because it is 17 inch diameter. There is a view there that 17" will not fit onto Carrera S greater-sized brake calipers (that's why S comes stock on 19 inches).

Anyone knows anything about that?

Old 12-03-2008, 03:06 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Coochas
I now have my final solution for the C4S spare tire!

<snip>

I made a small bag of goodies which fits behind the spare tire in the bottom of the boot (this works because the spare is inserted ‘lying backwards’ to accommodate the smaller C4S boot space). The goodies (see pic below) include:
-Porsche wheel lock
-wheel hanger from Boothe
-“soft socket” from Boothe
-Craftsman torque wrench
-Giant plastic bag for flat tire
-Knee Pads (to change tires, not to get a promotion)
-Gloves (to keep my hands pretty)
-Porsche tire gauge ($26, Suncoast)
-Speed Yellow Flashlight (Craftsman)

To bring this back from the depths... I noticed on thing missing.

How do you get the flat tire off? Are you using the torque wrench to break loose the lug-bolts?

I like the idea of the soft-socket, but my need is not to protect the steel lug-bolts, but to protect the wheel paint, so I'd need the 'soft' on the outside....

Old 12-03-2008, 04:04 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Minok
To bring this back from the depths... I noticed on thing missing.

How do you get the flat tire off? Are you using the torque wrench to break loose the lug-bolts?

I like the idea of the soft-socket, but my need is not to protect the steel lug-bolts, but to protect the wheel paint, so I'd need the 'soft' on the outside....
Try something like these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40035

Old 12-03-2008, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by jag07
Hi everyone!

Coochas, did you ever get to use or try your spare wheel on?

Why I am asking that is because it is 17 inch diameter. There is a view there that 17" will not fit onto Carrera S greater-sized brake calipers (that's why S comes stock on 19 inches).

Anyone knows anything about that?
I've fortunately never had to try it in 3 years of ownership!
I'm fairly certain the wheel will fit without problem. The part number for this spare is listed as the emergency wheel for the 997 C4S according to Sunset Porsche.
I'll have to pop it on the next time I change my wheels from winter to summer.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:47 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by jhbrennan

Yeah, I've seen those... though really I only need one (19mm) not the entire set. I could just as well modify an existing deep 19mm craftsman socket, buy adding some heatshrink to it.

I've wondered though, what would actually protect the wheel paint from the socket. If the socket is hard, smooth chrome, that is clean, what else could you do? Damage to the paint would come from some dirt or grit on the outside surface of the socket or on the paint. How a plastic cover on the socket helps isn't clear to me.... but thats another issue.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:54 PM
docjackson1 is infamous around these parts
i have a question-someone previously referred to a spare as an accessory for the 997 tt-does one exist as an accessory, cause i just got an 09 tt and didn't see one available. second, if coochas put this in his c4s, it should fit on the turbo, correct?-by the way, good work coochas. lastly, how do you fill it up with air after you put it on? thanx

Old 12-07-2008, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by docjackson1
i have a question-someone previously referred to a spare as an accessory for the 997 tt-does one exist as an accessory, cause i just got an 09 tt and didn't see one available. second, if coochas put this in his c4s, it should fit on the turbo, correct?-by the way, good work coochas. lastly, how do you fill it up with air after you put it on? thanx
Hey Doc,
The fitment is the same for the turbo with regular brakes (non-PCCB). You can use the compressor that Porsche supplies (along with 'the goop' in your luggage compartment" but I carry a slightly better one which I also use at the track.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:48 PM
docjackson1 is infamous around these parts
thanx coochas

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Spare Tire and the C4S